Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:23   #1
WIMPY

Changing out carry ammo

Yesterday I fired several rounds of 40 S&W hydro shocks through my p2000sk. Out of a full mag there were 3 rounds that were very weak, would not eject. I had been carrying this ammo 2-3 years never thought of it going bad. How often should I change my carry ammo?
WIMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:57   #2
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIMPY View Post
Yesterday I fired several rounds of 40 S&W hydro shocks through my p2000sk. Out of a full mag there were 3 rounds that were very weak, would not eject. I had been carrying this ammo 2-3 years never thought of it going bad. How often should I change my carry ammo?
I've never shot HydraShok ammo but I remember several GT members claiming it seems to be underpowered for a self-defense JHP. Other members swear by the round.

As for your particular ammo I'd shoot it all up and never carry it again.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06   #3
Caver 60

That's unusual for any reputable brand of carry ammo. I think most change it out about every 6 months. Some more often, some less.

How often do you clean and lubricate your pistol? How 'wet' do you run it?

Some lubricants can penetrate more than others, and of course will eventually 'kill' ammo. American Rifleman did a test several years ago where various brands of ammo were soaked directly in various lubricants. A lot of them did kill the ammo after a period of time. But that was under very severe conditions that wouldn't be encountered in most normal handgun cleaning and lubrication situations.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:42   #4
rowdy115

I change carry ammo every 6 months or so, give or take.
rowdy115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:53   #5
NC Bullseye

Any variance in carry ammo is highly suspicious. I'd not carry any from that lot or box again. Buy fresh and do NOT mix the old back in.

As to normal cycling through, I try to shoot the rounds in the carry gun a couple of times a year.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:58   #6
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Historically I shoot of my old hollow point rounds (Magtech and Hydra Shok in 9mm) every five years. Have never had a failure, but then I have been shooting it through Glocks, which are reliable enough to feed small animals.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 13:23   #7
fastbolt

I've usually replaced my carry ammunition anywhere from once/twice a month to a year, or more. The more frequent replacements have been due to shooting it up when working range sessions (as an instructor & armorer), replacing it with fresh as a normal matter of course.

Some of the ammo I have in my .357/.44 speedloaders date back from when I carried a service revolver (80's), but it's been carefully stored in my safe, ammo cabinets or boxes where temperature, moisture & humidity are carefully controlled and monitored. I'd carry those speedloaders & ammunition with confidence if I ever have need to carry those revolvers again.

Ammunition carried everyday can be subject to temperature changes, as well a potential contamination by whatever solvents or lubricants may be present, which may reach the ammunition.

Then, there's the potential issue of someone who makes it a practice to repeatedly feed & chamber the same rounds in pistols. This is a subject which receives, and deserves, attention in its own right. Suffice to say that aside from potential setback and resulting over-pressure events, excessive wear and damage to the rounds (case walls, rims, mouths and even bullet nose cavities), may have an unwanted adverse effect upon individual rounds.

I've seen some rather nasty looking duty ammunition which fired fine, and some which had been degraded in performance, or even rendered inert (probably contamination at the primer pocket or case mouth).

I've also seen pistol rounds which wouldn't feed, extract or eject properly, simply due to accumulated wear & tear of being repeatedly fed, extracted & ejected without being fired.

I have carry ammo in some spare mags which could be removed and replaced in the original boxes, and which someone might not be able to tell had ever been loaded & carried.

Just depends.

When it gets right down to it, factory ammunition being carried in a dedicated role as defensive ammunition is something upon which you may be staking your life.

Might be prudent to pay some attention to it, and perhaps replace it on some scheduled basis based upon careful, consideration of your normal circumstances and its exposure to conditions which might affect its in tended functioning and performance.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 09-20-2014 at 13:24..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 18:57   #8
WIMPY

Thanks for the replies. As far as running the gun " wet or dry" I would guess it is more dry in that I do not leave a lot of oil in/on the gun. I have been using Hoppe's and Gunslick for many years on various firearms and never had a problem. The magazine I was shooting out of is the one that carried normally. Here in Memphis it get a lot of heat & humidity. In the next few days I'm going to take ammo tha has been stored in the house to shoot up and replace. Wii send a report afterwards.

On a mother front I bought my daughter a Lc9s to replace the walther P99 she had started carrying. She carries OWB on the rt hip, she does not own a purse, and the p99 was just too bulky.
WIMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:34   #9
Darkangel1846

Well I change out my SD ammo usually every 1-2 years....I try for every year but forget sometimes. Never had any problems with the older ammo though.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18   #10
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

Very good post from Fastbolt, as usual. Just to support what he said, I was my department's rangemaster for many years. The LE standard for ammo replacement is from six months to one year and it is a very good standard for every shooter to follow. Ammo stored in a cool, dry place is not the same as ammo carried around and exposed to temperature changes, gun oil, motion etc. We shot often and issued new ammo often but over the years I found a few of my troops that somehow were carrying duty ammo 2-3 years old or longer. And when fired there were misfires in that ammo. Ammo can be scarce today and expensive. But is the price of a box of pistol ammo worth your life? Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32   #11
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
That's unusual for any reputable brand of carry ammo. I think most change it out about every 6 months. Some more often, some less.

How often do you clean and lubricate your pistol? How 'wet' do you run it?

Some lubricants can penetrate more than others, and of course will eventually 'kill' ammo. American Rifleman did a test several years ago where various brands of ammo were soaked directly in various lubricants. A lot of them did kill the ammo after a period of time. But that was under very severe conditions that wouldn't be encountered in most normal handgun cleaning and lubrication situations.
Does anyone know if Winchester, Speer, Remington, Hornady, and Federal all use primer sealants or are there one or more premium JHP rounds that do not? It would be nice to have a definitive list.
Old 09-21-2014, 13:49   #12
Caver 60

OP Have you seen the thread a little further down this page? Might want to look at it and pay attention to post 19 and 20.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542254
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 16:00   #13
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Hydra shock isn't under powered. Never was. If you're carrying the ammo, rotate out/shoot it annualy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIMPY View Post
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 19:50   #14
JuneyBooney

I have had some ammo sit in my home gun for years with no problem and the carry ammo is about every three to six months but I would think the problem is the lubricants used as previously stated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 20:17   #15
Bruce M

Unless it gets dirty, damaged, or otherwise compromised, I change out ammunition about once a year.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 21:21   #16
gunsmoke92

I generally shoot and replace my carry ammo throughout the year. I buy enough that I can fire a few rounds at the range periodically to insure the firearm and the ammo are still happy with each other. By the end of the year it's time to buy a new batch and reload the mags I use for carry.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92, The Big Dawg club #1992
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote