SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:27   #1
Scott41984

Send a message via AIM to Scott41984 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott41984
Bad Shot

I am very experienced with semi-automatics for years and a pretty good shot. With that said, I went to the range yesterday with my new SP101. First off I would like to say it was a charm to shoot .38+P out of the Ruger and .357's were very manageable!

However, with the target about 20 feet (edited), I couldn't hit much of anything. After running many rounds through the snubbie, I chalked it up to me not being out to the range lately. Annoyed, I pulled out my G19 and fired away. All the shots were within the 10 ring.

With that said, I'm planning on using the Ruger for CCW. I obviously need many more range time before I swap over. Any tips with aiming for the snub nose that differs from the semi-autos?

Thanks!

Enjoy!
The Snubbie Club

Last edited by Scott41984; 08-21-2011 at 10:04..
Scott41984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53   #2
SuperSleuth

I would suggest spending some time working on DA trigger control with dry-fire practice. Try to spend about 10-15 minutes/day on it. Focus on smoothly pulling the trigger to the rear. Once the gun "fires", focus on smoothly releasing the trigger all the way forward. While doing so try to maintain a proper sight picture.

Placing a small coin like a dime or a penny on the top of the barrel or front sight while pulling the trigger can also help, the goal being to pull and release the trigger without causing the coin to fall.

Properly releasing the trigger can be just as important as pulling the trigger, especially if you're shooting quickly.

If you can do this for at least a week before your next range trip I think you will find improvement in your shooting.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00   #3
Chup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleuth View Post
I would suggest spending some time working on DA trigger control with dry-fire practice. Try to spend about 10-15 minutes/day on it. Focus on smoothly pulling the trigger to the rear. Once the gun "fires", focus on smoothly releasing the trigger all the way forward. While doing so try to maintain a proper sight picture.

Placing a small coin like a dime or a penny on the top of the barrel or front sight while pulling the trigger can also help, the goal being to pull and release the trigger without causing the coin to fall.

Properly releasing the trigger can be just as important as pulling the trigger, especially if you're shooting quickly.

If you can do this for at least a week before your next range trip I think you will find improvement in your shooting.
Follow those instructions you will be surprised how good you will get at shooting double action. All my self defense snubs are DAO and I feel I can shoot double action just as accurate as single
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 17:59   #4
snubfan
Giant Member

A laser would help as well. I sit in my basement and point the laser at something small across the room and dryfire the gun. You'd be amazed at the instant feedback you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31   #5
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleuth View Post

This.......Very good suggestion and it will improve your ability to shoot DOA revolvers...
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote