Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2011, 16:34   #1
UCLAglock35

First AK Purchase

Looking at a WASR 10 model with the folding stock CA compliant, for about $650.00 + tax & DROS, what do you guys think? is that a good deal?

I don't care much for accuracy or precision, I just want something original, simple, and scary when I pull the trigger.

”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
~Thomas Jefferson :faint:
UCLAglock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 17:59   #2
Tailhunter
Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAglock35 View Post
Looking at a WASR 10 model with the folding stock CA compliant, for about $650.00 + tax & DROS, what do you guys think? is that a good deal?

I don't care much for accuracy or precision, I just want something original, simple, and scary when I pull the trigger.

Never shot an AK that was scary when I pulled the trigger.

The scary part is that price ... 650. for a WASR.

I am not a sheep . . . I am neither weak nor afraid. If you try to harm me the consequences of those actions rest solely on your shoulders. -TH
NEVER get involved, hide and shake or piss and run. -Gen. Consensus
Tailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 18:21   #3
Jackalo626

Way too much. Plenty of places have them for $450.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 18:22   #4
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

I agree, the price is shocking. I'm traveling this week and didn't bring my Century sales flyer, but I don't remember CA-compliant AKs being that much. Regular WASRs are usually almost $300 less.

I don't know what to think about the "scary when I pull the trigger" comment.
Old 08-14-2011, 18:22   #5
Jackalo626

Here is a link to a reputable place $450 for one with a case and 3 mags
http://www.classicarms.us/
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 19:30   #6
UCLAglock35

Thanks to everyone for their input. I thought it was too much also, especially after seeing on average $450 for a WASR. Thanks guys for your feedback. Good thing I did not pull the trigger on that one. whewwww
”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
Old 08-14-2011, 19:41   #7
UCLAglock35

Sorry One more question!

Is there anything that I should definitely be aware of when shopping around for a reasonably priced AK?
Old 08-14-2011, 20:27   #8
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Don't worry too much about brand or origin...judge each AK individually on its own merits.

A little bit of a cant on the front sight base is not a big deal as long as you have enough adjustment on the sight to hit your target. Once it's set, you'll probably never have to move it again.

Cant on the gas block is a bit more of a concern. A bad cant here can affect the piston or slowly wear away the inside of the gas tube.

A canted rear sight base is a problem.

Ugly wood furniture can be refinished to look amazing, so it's not a deal breaker.

Slight wobble in the mag well is not a big deal either. AKs will function reliably with quite a bit of mag wobble. Remember, the tolerances on an AK are quite loose.

Arm yourself with some basic knowledge about AKs before you go buy one. Be able to know what mags and accessories are more desirable...know how to tell if the gun has original equipment or if someone has made some good (or bad) changes.
Old 08-14-2011, 23:29   #9
FireForged
Millenium #3936

My only reservations are the AK's with a USA made receiver. Other than that, I would gladly buy any of em.
Old 08-14-2011, 23:46   #10
UCLAglock35

THANK YOU CARLOSC. I read your article about the history and evolution of the AK. very informative. Thank you for you advice. Thanks to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Don't worry too much about brand or origin...judge each AK individually on its own merits.

A little bit of a cant on the front sight base is not a big deal as long as you have enough adjustment on the sight to hit your target. Once it's set, you'll probably never have to move it again.

Cant on the gas block is a bit more of a concern. A bad cant here can affect the piston or slowly wear away the inside of the gas tube.

A canted rear sight base is a problem.

Ugly wood furniture can be refinished to look amazing, so it's not a deal breaker.

Slight wobble in the mag well is not a big deal either. AKs will function reliably with quite a bit of mag wobble. Remember, the tolerances on an AK are quite loose.

Arm yourself with some basic knowledge about AKs before you go buy one. Be able to know what mags and accessories are more desirable...know how to tell if the gun has original equipment or if someone has made some good (or bad) changes.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06   #11
Markasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAglock35 View Post
Is there anything that I should definitely be aware of when shopping around for a reasonably priced AK?
Folding stock AK's are NOT legal in Kalifornia, UCLA glock...32" minimum length required. doesn't matter how many features it has or doesn't have, no folders here. It sux i know...i'm ready to move as soon as i can...
also you must have the mag release block installed that requires "a tool".

I bought my WASR for $500 plus DROS and tax at turner's, double stack (you can find a single stack WASR for $420 and then grind out the magwell if you are good with a dremel. Double stack = the magazines almost every other AK in the world uses, single stack = accepts only single stack mags 10 round capacity, they do not interchange).
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 19:29   #12
carloglock19

I have a WASR 10 that has been 100% reliable. That price is a bit high from what I've seen. Good luck!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ak47, kalashnikov, rifles, romanian, russian