Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:45   #1
WarEagle32

What should I do?

Long story short. I have a super nice Daniel Defense 5.56 V5LW upper. It is nearly new, and I want to do one of 2 things 1. Since DD lowers are near impossible to find, I want to put as nice of a complete lower on it as possible. The nicest two that I have found are LMT and BCM. Out of these two which would you get? 2. Sell my DD V5LW upper and have one less M4 for awhile being that I have another M4 and 2 other AR's. If I do this about what should I ask for my DD V5LW upper? Thanks guys!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51   #2
SmithietheFox

Of the two you mentioned (LMT and BCM), the only one I have any experience with is the LMT and I liked it. While LMT and BCM are both great companies IMO, why are you limiting your choice of lowers to those two?

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles, German Weatherbys, and Stoner 63A parts.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59   #3
wct097

If you get hung up on all of your parts having the same name on them, then you should probably just sell the upper and buy a complete rifle.

I personally don't understand the idea of feeling the need to pair a "nice upper" with an expensive lower. I'm about to pair a nice BCM upper with a blem PSA lower.

With that said, if you want an expensive lower to pair your upper with, I'd have no issue with a BCM, LMT, Noveske, or Colt. I'm not sure I buy that they're "better", but if you want a name brand for a safe queen, I don't think they'll disappoint.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:20   #4
jrs93accord

Most any forged lower will do. They are essentially all the same. If you are wanting one with a big name on it, you will pay for it. I will suggest to build whatever lower you get with a quality FCG. Just about any LPK will do, but I would recommend an ALG ACT for the fire control group. It is like an upgraded mil-spec FCG. The trigger component is plated with Nickel-Boron which has a high surface hardness combined with excellent wear resistance. The color is a pleasing matte light grey that may be painted on non-functional surfaces if the shooter so desires (such as the trigger bow that is visible outside the lower receiver). The hammer, disconnector and trigger/hammer pins are plated with Nickel-Teflon which combines a low coefficient of friction with good wear resistance. With the upper you have, you might as well use a decent trigger with it to get the most from it.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!

Last edited by jrs93accord; 07-28-2014 at 12:21..
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 14:47   #5
WarEagle32

Being absolutely honest the name does matter to me. I admit that, and make no apologies for it! Its a bit more than a 100 bucks to put a top tier lower on it compare to a lower tier one. I have already spent a good bit for a top notch upper, might as well get a top notch lower to go with it. JMO.

Last edited by WarEagle32; 07-28-2014 at 14:52..
Old 07-28-2014, 14:52   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
Being absolutely honest the name does matter to me. I admit that, and make no apologies for it!
Then get a roll marked lower that YOU like......LMT or BCM would serve you well.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 14:56   #7
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithietheFox View Post
Of the two you mentioned (LMT and BCM), the only one I have any experience with is the LMT and I liked it. While LMT and BCM are both great companies IMO, why are you limiting your choice of lowers to those two?
They are the only two tier one complete lowers that I can find right now. And I am going to buy one very soon.
Old 07-28-2014, 15:27   #8
jrs93accord

Quote:
They are the only two tier one complete lowers that I can find right now. And I am going to buy one very soon.
No disrespect, but forget this "tier" crap. It means nothing. Like I said before, most all forged lowers are the same. Their are several companies that makes lowers for the vast majority of the market. Which ever company they are made for, the associated rollmarks are engraved on it. Some of the manufacturers sell their own brand as well. The important issue is the fire control group (trigger, disconnector, and hammer). I have bought probably close to 40 lowers over the past ten years from many different manufacturers. I have yet been able to distinguish any difference between any forged lowers I have bought. I was able to build a nice functional weapon out of all of them.

Last edited by jrs93accord; 07-30-2014 at 07:48..
Old 07-28-2014, 15:36   #9
jrs93accord

Quote:
Being absolutely honest the name does matter to me. I admit that, and make no apologies for it! Its a bit more than a 100 bucks to put a top tier lower on it compare to a lower tier one. I have already spent a good bit for a top notch upper, might as well get a top notch lower to go with it. JMO.
Your "top-notch" upper is just that for it has attached to the upper receiver. The upper receiver in itself is nothing better than most the others on the market. The barrel, handguards, BCG, sights, FH, VFG, and gas block make up the cost of the DD upper. Just make sure you get good components like a mil-spec buffer (7075-T6 Aluminum), a good mil-spec stock, a pistol grip of your choosing, and dependable magazines. I have already mentioned the LPK, trigger, and hammer issue.

Old 07-28-2014, 16:50   #10
dkf

If you want a couple upgrades on the complete lower I would probably get a BCM from G&R. If you just want a stock milspec complete lower go with the one you can get cheaper between the LMT or BCM.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 17:26   #11
wct097

If you're shopping roll marks, the real question is do you like the iron cross of the ponies?
Old 07-28-2014, 19:09   #12
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
If you want a couple upgrades on the complete lower I would probably get a BCM from G&R. If you just want a stock milspec complete lower go with the one you can get cheaper between the LMT or BCM.
I have looked there and tons of other places. There is an 11 dollar difference between a BCM and and LMT. The BCM being 11 bucks higher. They are both great. I just wish I knew which of the two had the better factory trigger and I would get it. I will eventually put a Geissele, or JP in it, but for awhile the M4 will have a factory spec trigger. And I am no idiot at all when it comes to these things, I definitely know that functionally there isn't a lot of difference, but I am getting one of the two I just have not made up my mind which. Any of you guys have much expierience with the factory trigger on a BCM or LMT? Thanks guys?
Old 07-28-2014, 20:12   #13
dkf

Either will come with a low cost FCG. They can vary from trigger to trigger. Milspec isn't as precise as some people may think. If you want something with better QC while still keeping the cost down then put in an ALG QMS or ACT trigger.

Last edited by dkf; 07-28-2014 at 20:14..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:42   #14
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I'm an unabashed BCM fan, so I would suggest a BCM lower, because it comes with their Gunfighter grip. And then install a trigger and stock of your choice.

Last edited by M&P15T; 07-30-2014 at 06:47..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:50   #15
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
You probably know this already, but......

Lower receivers are pretty much all the same, probably only a few companies actually making them and putting different company names on them. The real differences are the trigger, grip, stock, etc., not the actual lower.

So, there's really no such thing as a "top notch lower". What makes a lower good or bad are the parts put into/on it, not the forging itself.
To put a point on this consensus, the OP should really be looking to spend money on a nice FCG. Geissele or comparable. Pick the lower with the roll mark or name that gives you a tingle in that special place, buy the cheapest LPK you can find, preferably without a FCG, then buy the best trigger/FCG you can find. That will net you a "top notch" lower.

Personally, I went with a Noveske Gen 2 FFL, a Geissele SSA-E trigger, and a PSA no-FCG LPK for my "top notch build". Can't be happier with it, though I freely admit that it doesn't do anything that my PSA blem lower with the same trigger would do for $200 less.

edit: Going back to my original suggestion.... you could always sell the upper and buy a DD complete rifle. The seem to be easier to find than DD lowers. My LGS always has 2-3 DDM4v (or whatever the designation is) on the rack.

Last edited by wct097; 07-30-2014 at 06:53..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20   #16
PAGunner

If you want the best lower you can get why haven't you considered the AX556? Nothing else even comes close.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54   #17
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
To put a point on this consensus, the OP should really be looking to spend money on a nice FCG. Geissele or comparable. Pick the lower with the roll mark or name that gives you a tingle in that special place, buy the cheapest LPK you can find, preferably without a FCG, then buy the best trigger/FCG you can find. That will net you a "top notch" lower.

Personally, I went with a Noveske Gen 2 FFL, a Geissele SSA-E trigger, and a PSA no-FCG LPK for my "top notch build". Can't be happier with it, though I freely admit that it doesn't do anything that my PSA blem lower with the same trigger would do for $200 less.

edit: Going back to my original suggestion.... you could always sell the upper and buy a DD complete rifle. The seem to be easier to find than DD lowers. My LGS always has 2-3 DDM4v (or whatever the designation is) on the rack.
This what I have been saying all along. Buy a forged lower (blems are a real cost savings), throw in a standard LPK (minus the FCG), buy a nice FCG (I prefer the ALG ACT for the cost), a pistol grip of your choosing, install a mil-spec buffer assembly (7075 aluminum), and a mil-spec stock of your choice. You will have a nicely outfitted lower assembly to go with the DD upper.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:19   #18
mvician
Lifetime Membership

What should you do?

Not ask for opinions, everyone has one. Pick the lower YOU like the best.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25   #19
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I feel inadequate.

I have a BCM upper on a PSA lower and a bunch of other mismatched AR's I've cobbled together over the years. Of course they run perfectly. But somehow I know I'm missing out without that designer label.... dang...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01   #20
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I feel inadequate.

I have a BCM upper on a PSA lower and a bunch of other mismatched AR's I've cobbled together over the years. Of course they run perfectly. But somehow I know I'm missing out without that designer label.... dang...
You can only imagine how I felt for years with an Eagle Arms lower and RRA upper. Fortunately my 300BLK SBR with a Noveske Lower and VLT0R upper has offest it some.... well at least until my BCM upper for my PSA blem SBR comes in.