SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2011, 21:02   #21
sgtbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRhino24 View Post
He is got to be kidding. I have a 45-70 and two 10 mm's. If I'am in bear country they come with me. Marlin Guide Gun 16 inch barrel 5 rds in the tube modified by
Brockmans.
sgtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:26   #22
morpheus171

Latest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44299985...1#.TlqHH3PC-8s
morpheus171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 17:55   #23
BIGBOY61

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
I lost a bunch of my pics when my last computer crashed. I've only had the digital camera a couple of years. Need to get a scanner for some of the film pics. I'll post up a pic of my remote cabin for you. It's 5 miles off the road system. O.K, I've tried to post the pic and it's not coming up.
Get an offline storage backup like Carbonite.com to copy your data to their servers. You will never lose any pictures or data again due to a hard drive crash.
BIGBOY61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12   #24
morpheus171

Griz kills hunter
morpheus171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28   #25
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Nothing but a big caliber for me if hiking in the Montana wilderness.

EDIT: I happened to be there in W. Yellowstone on vacation when the ambulances were arriving to aid the Yellowstone hiker that had been mauled and killed. Sad story and they were not very far from the road (aka not too deep in the woods at the time).

Again sad story.... bottom line is that I carry for a reason!
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.

Last edited by Javelin; 09-17-2011 at 08:30..
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47   #26
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Talked with 2 employees of a local pawn/gun store. One of them had his arm in a sling. Turns out they spotted a black bear in the woods across from the store. There were people near that hadn't spotted the bear. Boys went out with a shotgun and a .45ACP. Said the .45 held 20 rounds. Should have asked what model. Probably after market mag.
Anyway, just as they are telling the bystanders about the bear, it charges. Shotgun boy gets off 2 shots. Mr. 45 starts spraying. Bear knocks down shotgun boy. Mr .45 keeps shooting. Wounds shotgun boy in the shoulder and under arm area. I'm assuming just fragments. Bear runs off. Soldotna cops show up and find blood but unable to locate the bear. It was raining, but I know of plenty of incidents where local cops and Troopers failed to locate an animal with a blood trail a blind guy could have followed. Don't know how many rounds connected, but certainly some did. I've never heard of anyone getting off that many rounds on a charging bear. Very odd for one to charge with that many people around too. Mr .45 was looking real sheepish as Shotgun boy related the story to me. Obviously felt bad about shooting his buddy.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50   #27
ModGlock17

This may sound a bit comical, but if he had carried a 50AE instead of 45, his buddy might not up be and walking. Some smart bear: it went for the one with the most deadly powered gun first, and probably live because of that decision.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45   #28
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Update on the injured bear shooter. He was out of his sling yesterday. I asked him if he was hit by fragments. Nope. Entire bullets. One in the shoulder, still in there. The other went down along the outside of his ribcage. The doctors removed that one.
Old 09-30-2011, 14:09   #29
ModGlock17

Ha! Is this proof that even a couple of 45 can't even put a man down?

Good thing, they didn't.

Getting a lot less sunlight up there, right?
Old 09-30-2011, 17:52   #30
inspectorjj

smokeross, I had to read that story a couple of times. It is amazing. This should be on an episode of "When Animals Attack". I guess shotgun boy was glad he was not eaten, but sad he was shot. I would have loved to see that on film. Needless to say, I can only imagine both guys were scared out of their minds.
Old 09-30-2011, 23:02   #31
Burien

Another Classic example of why to leave the old lady at home,

"honey I would love for you to come, but you will only attract bears"
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:30   #32
mtn_hunter

Soldotna bear attack

Interesting story. So interesting in fact I tried to find out more but couldn't. So I emailed my brother in law who lives in Soldotna. He said he had heard the story before but the setting was Montana. He did send a link to a recent bear incident which involved a grizzly bear and a Caribou head being left out.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...d#.Tow_FRw_NM5

Last edited by mtn_hunter; 10-05-2011 at 05:41..
mtn_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 14:13   #33
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
I told my 10 yrs old nephew that Alaskan brown bears seem to attack people from the lower 48 than those who live in Alaska.

He said that's because people in the lower 48 take showers and baths more often. They are less likely to have excessive body odors, and not noticed by bears. Bears are more likely to be surprised by their unexpected presence. On the other hand, bears can tell exactly where rural Alaskans are, and rural Alaskans can never surprise a bear....

Kinda make sense... Tough to get warm water when you're living alone out in the cold territory.

I'd keep this in mind when trolling the woods.

I'm not from Alaska, but this is an idiotic post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 16:13   #34
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Common sense would agree with you.
Old 10-05-2011, 19:08   #35
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_hunter View Post
Interesting story. So interesting in fact I tried to find out more but couldn't. So I emailed my brother in law who lives in Soldotna. He said he had heard the story before but the setting was Montana. He did send a link to a recent bear incident which involved a grizzly bear and a Caribou head being left out.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...d#.Tow_FRw_NM5
The story hasn't been in the news yet. Tell him to go talk to the young fellow behind the counter at Alaska Trading and Loan. Or ask the Soldotna cops. Happened just a few weeks ago. I've talked to the lad several times.
Old 10-05-2011, 21:48   #36
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I agree.

It was written by an idiot, quite awhile ago, more than 2 months.

The funny thing is that you're just getting to it now... That means you're 2 months BEHIND an idiot.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 10-06-2011 at 04:56..
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10   #37
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

He smelled so pretty, he got eaten by wolverines.

Last edited by smokeross; 10-06-2011 at 11:12..
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 20:14   #38
SolidBrass
Against Shiny

Four deaths by Griz this year in greater yellowstone area.

If you are being charged by a bear with a high load Glock 20, How would you shoot at it? Straight at the skull or a little lower, a little higher maybe? (I'm not saying I wouldn't like more power, but this is my mountain carry)

Last edited by SolidBrass; 10-06-2011 at 20:19..
SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 23:09   #39
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Four deaths by Griz this year in greater yellowstone area.

If you are being charged by a bear with a high load Glock 20, How would you shoot at it? Straight at the skull or a little lower, a little higher maybe? (I'm not saying I wouldn't like more power, but this is my mountain carry)
Gun in right hand, shooting over left shoulder. Spraying and praying as I ran like hell.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:19   #40
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Gun in right hand, shooting over left shoulder. Spraying and praying as I ran like hell.
Sounds like a receipe for missing the Griz on every shot, and then he'd run you down anyway and promptly begin having lunch ...

With a properly loaded 15+1 G20 (that means with a hot-n-fast, deep-penetrating projectile), it makes more sense to stand your ground and concentrate as much aimed fire on a vital area as time permits, even if its only a few seconds. If nothing else, it hopefully dissuades or deters the bear from continuing its attack through immediate pain, sound and blast ...

Since you're never going to out run Mr. Griz - even while emitting girly-screams - why try? Sure, avoid any confrontation with a bruin, if possible ...

But the contingency of using it is why you'd pack a G20 into bear country in the first place, not just to carry its extra weight while you run away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by agtman; 10-07-2011 at 06:02..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote