Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2015, 13:23   #1
Peter M. Eick

Send a message via ICQ to Peter M. Eick
1081 rounds of 10mm, ok, I am sore

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

Ok, we are loaded up and ready to go. Rules are 50 shots per target, all loads were 8.7 grns of 800x with a 180 grn MBC TCFP (max load from IMR manual). This is my plinker lead load and clocks in around 1200 give or take depending on the gun. All were shot at 15 yrds offhand.

I have not been shoot much in the last year due to family issues. So this is the first time I have been banging away with a high powered handgun in about a year. I am actually pleased that the targets show I am not as bad as I expected. Things were coming back about the time fatigue kicked in.

I was mostly testing the Witness Hunter (top gun) since it was a prize I won and was just trying to get a feel for what it could do relative to my G20 (lower picture) with the KKM comped barrel on it.

The 10 Ring

I was having trouble with the glock recoil and trigger. I kept trying to steer the shot in and force the break. This does not work for me and I was getting better and better as time went on with the G20. I was just using my offhand rifle technique of squeezing when the sights are right and letting the shot just happen. This target is representative of the G20's all day. Scattered but I can see the potential.

The 10 Ring

You can never have enough 15 round mags for the g20 and its ilk. Lots of fun to just keep banging away with it mag after mag.

Switching to the Witness Hunter 10mm (next post).
Old 03-29-2015, 13:24   #2
Peter M. Eick

Second post. Too many picts in the first one.

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

The targets to me show I was getting the hang of the Hunter. Each mag change I tended to throw a flier and then I would drop the rest into a nice general group. Toward the end though fatigue was kicking in the sharp checkering of the hunter was starting to abrade skin. That first round flier is probably just a new gun working its way in. I vaguely remember my last Witness did that until I got it up over about 2000 rounds.

The Hunter is definitely a target shooter. When I would bear down and really focus it could drop round after round into the same spot and then I would relax and start to pattern again. I need to work on that problem of relaxing. It is all about front sight focus but not relax after 35 rounds in the group.

So, it was a good day at the range. Clean up was not bad. Both guns had a bit of lead in them but considering they had over 500 rounds per gun in them of lead reloads I cannot complain much. I probably should up the power a bit and it would probably clean up. The lewis lead remover pulled it right out though.

Thinking forward I can see a scope or red dot on the Hunter. It is all set up for it and the gun is accurate enough to make it worth the investment.

Thinking of the G20, it is the only gun I sold and then bought it back again. As much as I don't like the flexible (plastic) frame, I have to give the gun its due and say it is easy to shoot for rounds and rounds in one day.

So path forward, clean and reload the brass, work on focusing on the concentration during the full 50 rounds per target, get more mags for the Hunter and get back to the range more often.

I have not shot this many 10mm rounds in one day since I broke in my Les Baer HWML 10mm. That was a long day but this only took me 3 hours or so. I will say I am sore though. 1081 rounds of 10mm is a lot for me now. How times change in a few years
Old 03-29-2015, 13:28   #3
ptmccain

Go big or go home...you chose to go big.

: )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G17, G19, G20, G21, G26, G34, G41
ptmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 14:18   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Nice day at the range! I agree that the G20 is just comfortable to shoot in big doses.

It looks like you'll keep that green press of yours busy filling up those cases again.

Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 19:19   #5
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

That's a lot of 10mm! I recently got back into the 10mm, picked up a 29 and have KKM 4 port for it, nice little gun. Looks like you had fun!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is a proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is condemnation before investigation."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 22:00   #6
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Man I get tired doing 200 to 300 rounds of 9mm out of my RIA 1911!
Old 03-30-2015, 15:46   #7
Peter M. Eick

I used to be able to pound out 700 to 900 rounds of 10mm and not even think about it. Then medical issues took me off the firing line for nearly a year and now I am trying to get back after it. Boy my skills have degraded!

I figured you all would appreciate blasting with the 10mm hunting guns.
Old 03-30-2015, 16:52   #8
bac1023

Very nice

I really like those single action Tanfoglios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 18:57   #9
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I love this post... Thank you for sharing. And also, course you, sir! I never liked the Witnesses until today. Argh I am truly a sucker for a long slide of almost ANY make.

I need to get out and wring the G20SF and Fusion Hinter out soon!!

Cheers!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45   #10
MinervaDoe

One thousand and eight one. Such an odd number. Did you run out of powder, or did your lever pulling arm just seize up in the middle of one thousand and eighty two .....

Your Glock is tending to group okay. I think you can clean up the fliers by just making the trigger pull clean and letting the gun do what it wants; no need to steer the shot.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:36   #11
4949shooter

Great test and post!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37   #12
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Peter glad to hear you're back at the shooting line again, looks like you had a great outing despite the soreness...Best regards!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:18   #13
Nick1233

Good shooting and I like the looks of that Tanfoglio! I just wish I had the ammo to burn through 1081rds of 10mm in one outing, I need to quit procrastinating and get set up for 10mm...
Nick1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:33   #14
MikeS.

I use that same bullet with Blue Dot and I really like them. So does my AR 10mm. I like your Witness hunter, I might have to look for one.
Past Master 2011-2012. Triluminar Lodge #117
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:58   #15
Peter M. Eick

Why 1081? Well I keep meticulous records about how I load things and what gun gets what ammo and how it performs. I had one box that instead of having 50 rounds, had 31 in it because I lost the rest of the brass of that lot. Basically, the other 19 rounds went flying somewhere on the range.

Winchester brass if I remember right. Fired 8 or 9 times but I would have to check my records.

The Hunter is a lot of fun to shoot. I need to blast more with it and get the mags worn in more. They are a bit stiff but it did not cause any issues.

I see some of you don't shoot as much as I do. Look at the economics. Reloading is cheap if you want to shoot a bunch. To replace the roughly 1000 rounds, it will costs $82 for 1000 MBC IDP5 (180 grn TCFP) bullets, worst case $28/1000 primers, and I bought 800x powder @ $110 for 8 lbs. so maybe I burned $4 worth of powder. So I burned $115 worth of resources for a fun time of about 3 hours of shooting and 3 hours of loading.

Not a bad price in my opinion. As long as only do it 2 to 4 times a month I can afford it.

Keep up shooting the 10mm!

Last edited by Peter M. Eick; 04-12-2015 at 12:59..
Peter M. Eick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 21:51   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Peter, aren't you the guy that had the bazillion round review of the Pro 2000?

I have the same press, and I really like it.
Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 19:01   #17
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M. Eick View Post
The Hunter is a lot of fun to shoot.
Yes, agreed on that point. If I'm looking to go to the range and shoot a lot of 10, drill nice groups and enjoy every single shot--that would be the one I take. Glad you had the chance to do some serious range time.

I found myself recently in the crisis situation of having no 10mm on the shelf, so I just loaded up 200 rds yesterday with what's left of my HS-6 and some real nice 180gr flat point cast I had sitting around. The Hunter will be first to get warmed up with these.

The 10 Ring
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners #3081
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 15:35   #18
Peter M. Eick

Yeah I probably am the guy on the Pro2000. I am at round 350,000 roughly out of mine and a large percentages are 10mm's. You can crank them out pretty quickly with the pro2000 and 800x.

Glad your hunter above (looks nice) is working well. I got mine as a shotgun prize and traded the AR I won for it. I like the Hunter a lot more than I would have wanted an AR.
Old 04-14-2015, 22:56   #19
Bongo Boy

There are several things I especially like about the Hunter, and that I think put it in the outstanding category. All steel construction is big to me, excellent execution in machining, fit and finish, and a double stack frame that not only feels more comfortable to my hand than a 1911, but externally looks a lot nicer than a Caspian double-wide (to me, of course). I find the trigger guard and trigger both to be hideous in aesthetics, but many guns are hideous-er.

For how and where I like to shoot, I'd never get nearly as much fun from an AR and would have made the same choice I think. Anyway, it was well worth the price and then some.

It does seem to me you might want to slow down a bit Peter on the magazine acquisitions, unless your plan for retirement is to wait until the Federally-mandated magazine capacity limit is 2 rounds then sell them all for a small fortune.
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners #3081

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-14-2015 at 23:08..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 15:05   #20
Peter M. Eick

Not to go to far off thread, but I don't own an AR and so a 223 would be a new caliber and all the hassles of stocking up and loading for it. Dies etc would be a pain. I much prefer my "tactical" guns be wood and steel like my M1A's and M1-Carbines or 03A3...

I should add that the mags is a pet peeve of mine that is a result of the public range I shoot at. 25 minutes shooting 5 minutes of target change and repeat. Thus I try to get all my mags loaded during the target change so I have a nice long string of shooting during the 25 minutes of productive time. If I am really chunking along, I can start the 25 minutes with full mags, empty them, reload, shoot them again and be just winding up when the "2 minutes to cease fire" is called.

Last edited by Peter M. Eick; 04-20-2015 at 15:08..
Peter M. Eick is offline   Reply With Quote