Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2011, 20:13   #1
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Barnes TAC-XP all-copper bullets--I'm convinced!

I'm highly impressed. Received and loaded my first samples--125g. '357s' spec'd for the 357SIG. Eased the powder charges up to a few tenths less than in my PD load (developed for Hornady XTP124s), shot some groups, and then destroyed some waterjugs. Velocity from my 357SIG model 32 is 1260FPS at 10', and I shot my usual string of 1-gallon waterjugs at 10'. The LH and center bullets passed thru 4 layers of denim taped to the first jug; I added no fabric for the RH bullet. All bullets passed into the 4th jug, with the center one hitting the far wall of the 4th jug and puncturing it but not passing thru. Retained weight for each was 114 or 115g. (= 92%). This certainly is going to be my PD bullet.

Reloading

Next--160s for my .45GAP.

BTW Cabela's has these 357/125s on closeout sale for $8 below regular price, or $21.88 per box of 40. I've got mine.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104275080

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 07-19-2011 at 20:28..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 20:19   #2
albyihat

Is there an advantage to shooting the all copper bullets as opposed to lead core bullets?
albyihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 20:34   #3
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by albyihat View Post
Is there an advantage to shooting the all copper bullets as opposed to lead core bullets?
From my perspective, the advantage is that they stay together better while penetrating well. Barnes's FAQs...
http://www.barnesbullets.com/informa...llet-talk/faq/
...discuss several differences/advantages.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:29   #4
dbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
Next--160s for my .45GAP.
I haven't tried those in my G37 yet - let us know how they turn out.
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The advantage is the solid copper will retain more weight near 100%, expansion usually 100%.

The disadvantage; expensive trying to test for best performance and target use. They are a longer bullet due to the lighter solid copper, this occupies much of case capacity, loads need to be adjusted lower because of this.

Good bullet, A balance of performance can be found. Just expensive and they should come in packs of 50 instead of 40.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36   #6
tjpet

They look pretty good - perforatinging denim taped to a water jug. Let's wait until they're used to clip a few drug crazed felons with nothing to lose. Then we'll know how they perform under real world conditions.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 13:12   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

tjpet, I have no doubt they will work as designed in the real world flesh. The few Barnes 125's I have will be loaded for testing in the 9x25Dillon as soon as I can finish studing which loads I want to use in this cartridge!

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 07-20-2011 at 13:34..
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 13:33   #8
Foxtrotx1

Low sectional density as well.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 14:14   #9
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpet View Post
They look pretty good - perforatinging denim taped to a water jug. Let's wait until they're used to clip a few drug crazed felons with nothing to lose. Then we'll know how they perform under real world conditions.
Unfortunately, due to their cost and the fact that none of the "Big 4" are loading them I doubt we'll see much in the way of real world results anytime soon.
Old 07-20-2011, 16:40   #10
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by albyihat View Post
Vs a bonded bullet, not much IMO. The Barnes is available, most bonded JHP are not, the Speer GDHP being the exception.
Quote:
Low sectional density as well.
SD changes as the bullet expands. So don't discount the mono metals SD, they are long for their wt & that helps SD as the bullet penetrates.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-20-2011 at 16:42..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 17:29   #11
Big Bore Fan

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I've been using the Barnes MZ Expanders is my black powder rifle for years now. The two bullets look to be veary simular. Not sure about druged crazed felons but they will put a deer down in a heart beat.
Old 07-20-2011, 18:45   #12
D. Manley

I still use standard fare LE ammo for my defensive weapons (with the exception below) but I will say that Corbon's DPX line with the Barnes bullets have been pretty thoroughly tested and found very impressive. For my little P3AT BUG, I chose the Corbon hands-down as the best mix of reliable expansion and penetration in the .380 platform. IMO, the larger the caliber, the less significant any small advantages or disadvantages one design over another has.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 18:39   #13
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Chonografed a batch of the 357SIGs today. Start screen at 10', about 105dF, 4.5" barrel--1288FPS, SD 12, batch size 10. Speer once-fired nickled cases, 8.2g. SR4756, Barnes TAC-XP 125g., Winchester Small Pistol primer, OAL 1.14".
Old 08-18-2011, 23:11   #14
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Decided to try a slower-burning powder than SR4756 with these Barnes 125s and chose Viht. N-105. Unfortunately that proved too bulky--even with highly compressed loads, velocities were too low.

Also tried Accurate 7 again as it's slower burning and has low muzzleflash... http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p548446203 . Worked up slowly to get velocities to almost 1340 at 10', about 50FPS faster than the load with SR4756. Will shoot some variations from 10.2g. thru 10.6g. in a day or 2. Would love to get to 1350FPS without expanding primer pockets to uselessness.

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 08-19-2011 at 15:57..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37   #15
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

TYVM Mark S. for alerting me that Cabela's has lowered prices on these excellent Barnes TAC-XP 125s even more, to $17.50 from $22 from $30. I bought 10 more boxes*.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104275080

After continuing my search for the best powder and charge for these long bullets, I stopped at 9.2g. of HS-6 (Speer nickel cases, WSPs), which produces a velocity in the 1360s from a 4.5" barrel with start screen at 10'. HS-6 seems to have the perfect combination of burning rate and volume for this long bullet.

Just received a StormLake 5.2" barrel for the 31G4. It seems to be machined slightly larger on the outside than the Glock barrel, which means it fits a little more tightly in the slide, which could be good or bad. Turns out it shoots this PD load and my practice load (which uses Montana Gold 124HPs) perfectly.
Reloading

Even as long as it is now (and I carry it in a large bellybag, so length is not a problem), it still handles excellently. Best pistol I've ever had.

* My wonderful wife calls me Mr. Excess for damned-good reason.