Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2015, 19:47   #1
MNBud

Lone wolf barrel

I have been shooting 9mm 150 GR. semi wad cutter bullets from Bayou, but wanted to shoot some lead and purchased a Lone Wolf barrel. I have been loading to an oal of 1.120 for my Glock 34, the issue I'm having is that the gun will not go into battery at this oal with the Lone Wolfe barrel. I need to go down to
1.090. Is this normal for an aftermarket barrel to be this much different? I realize I don't need aftermarket barrel for coated bullets but I will be using some lead in the future.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 19:58   #2
WeeWilly

I shoot lead from my stock Glock barrels all the time.

On the other hand, if you would rather use your LW at the OAL you were loading before, you can send your barrel back to LW and they will throat it. I believe they charge for this service, but can't remember how much.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 01-09-2015 at 19:58..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:28   #3
TN.Frank
Glock4Life

I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for a Glock G30 that I had and there was practically zero free bore ahead of the chamber. I had to open up the rifling ahead of the chamber by polishing it out with my Dremel and a felt tip with red polishing compound.
You can send in one of your loaded rounds(a dummy round would be best) and for an extra fee they'll cut the chamber to accept the round but I really think they should put more free bore in their barrels out of the box since most folks use em' to shoot lead bullets and they simply won't work unless you load way below normal OAL.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
*Ryan Job-SEAL Team 3*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:48   #4
fredj338

LW bbls are notorious for short throats. Good bbls, but depending on your bullet, it may need to be opened up.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-10-2015 at 01:23..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:05   #5
Bluescot

Call up Lone wolf and talk to their Customer Service gal and see how far you get.

The common response is that LW barrels will operate with any factory ammo. Brilliant point as most buyers are getting LW barrels to shoot reloaded lead ammo.

Does it strike you as funny that a Manufacturer is charging you another 30% to solve a problem of their manufacturing tolerances? LW barrels are notorious for selling foreign made barrels with short tight chambers and no free bore. Good luck.

Here's an interesting thread from a while back on LW and lead reloads:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1476787
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:41   #6
WeeWilly

FWIW I have had other aftermarket barrels that had very tight throats, making them very sensitive to OAL when shooting lead or even TC profile jacketed. My last two Storm Lake barrels in 10mm required a very short OAL when loading 175gr LSWC. I have also had KKM barrels that had very little free bore, but also had one with very generous free bore (that one was a smith, need to fit model, not sure what the correlation was there).

I don't think I have had any production gun that has the free bore of a Glock, in just about any caliber. Gaston definitely doesn't want to get in the way of a bullet...

Last edited by WeeWilly; 01-09-2015 at 23:42..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 17:28   #7
smokey45

I have owned several LW barrels for Glocks. Still have three. Great barrels, but the shortest leade I've seen on aftermarket barrels. Reloaders learn quickly to watch OAL and bullet profile when loading for those barrels. Like everyone else who buys the barrels, I too wonder why that don't cut the leade a little longer given their intended purpose.
s45
Old 01-10-2015, 19:53   #8
dkf

Ah the Lone Wolf barrel. The barrel that is supposed to be good for lead bullets that does not have a chamber that is good for lead bullets.....
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 20:39   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Best marketing out there.

Ignore Text Size....posting from a phone.
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 21:48   #10
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Ah the Lone Wolf barrel. The barrel that is supposed to be good for lead bullets that does not have a chamber that is good for lead bullets.....
Yea, I never understood that
Old 01-11-2015, 12:24   #11
tjpet

Just seat your bullets deeper. Don't listen to all the hogwash here. As already stated barrels vary as to seating depths, it's just something a reloader must recognize and adapt to.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:57   #12
smokey45

True, seating bullets deeper will work around the problem for some. For those shooting major PF, or even top range loads, often loading long is the only way to keep pressure within allowable limits. Not to mention some guns require longer OAL to function properly. Why LW doesn't make a small drawing change to lengthen the leade to make their barrels useable for their intended purpose, is beyond me. They'll not get a dime more from me until they do. I do like their barrels otherwise.
s45
Old 01-11-2015, 15:21   #13
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey45 View Post
True, seating bullets deeper will work around the problem for some. For those shooting major PF, or even top range loads, often loading long is the only way to keep pressure within allowable limits. Not to mention some guns require longer OAL to function properly. Why LW doesn't make a small drawing change to lengthen the leade to make their barrels useable for their intended purpose, is beyond me. They'll not get a dime more from me until they do. I do like their barrels otherwise.
s45
This is basically what I have to decide, if I want to load this short.
I have read through all the links and I think I will try to contact JR at Lone Wolf (as mentioned by a poster) and see if they will do a free bore for no cost . If not then I will decide to return it or to just load them shorter.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 17:30   #14
smokey45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBud View Post
This is basically what I have to decide, if I want to load this short.
I have read through all the links and I think I will try to contact JR at Lone Wolf (as mentioned by a poster) and see if they will do a free bore for no cost . If not then I will decide to return it or to just load them shorter.
JR offered to bore mine out to the "Glock Hole" dimensions. That sounds like the chamber might end up on the large side. I'm happy with the chamber dimensions, just wanted enough leade to let me load to reasonable lengths with all bullet profiles. Good luck, I hope you get something that works for you.
s45
Old 01-11-2015, 20:31   #15
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey45 View Post
JR offered to bore mine out to the "Glock Hole" dimensions. That sounds like the chamber might end up on the large side. I'm happy with the chamber dimensions, just wanted enough leade to let me load to reasonable lengths with all bullet profiles. Good luck, I hope you get something that works for you.
s45
I had two LW barrels sent back to them after an offer was finally made to do the "Glock Hole" as part of a recall and then it only took 104 days on my turnaround from the time they received them until they shipped them out of their shop.

After receiving them back one of the barrels would function about 85-95% of the time and the other around 50-60%of the time and no they just serve as paperweights.

See this link:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1414663
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 20:37   #16
WeeWilly

I have a LW 40 to 9 conversion barrel coming right now for my G35. I load mainly PD 124gr JHP's, but I already load them short due to a Kimber 1911 I shoot them out of, so no big deal there.
Old 01-18-2015, 19:21   #17
abq87120

LWD barrels have tight chambers. Good customer service though. Call them and see if they can relieve the forcing cone.

This quote was a caption for a cartoon. It sounds cute but it changed my life.
abq87120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 19:31   #18
F106 Fan

Sell the Lone Wolf and buy a KKM. Pretty simple!

Or, how about this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting lead in the factory barrel. Watch for signs of leading, clean a little more often and everything will work out fine.

Everybody says "Well, gee, Glock says to use only jacketed bullets!". Yes, that's true but they also say to use only factory loaded jacketed ammo. Yet, here we are... Reloading...

If you are really worried about leading, buy the Lewis Lead Remover from Brownell's. It will definitely clean out any lead in the barrel but, for any reasonable hardcast bullet, there isn't likely to be any. You could even try some of the boutique coated bullets.

Strands of Copper Chore Boy wrapped around a copper bristle brush is supposed to work also. I haven't tried this.

Just check the barrel every 100 rounds or so until you know what is going on. You could even start at 25 or 50 rounds.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 01-18-2015 at 19:33..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 20:55   #19
Motown Fire
Everett

I'm with the other posters that shoot lead from the OEM Glock barrel. I have shot thousands of my home brewed lead rounds through my G23 & G27. I have never had any issues with leading. Return the aftermarket barrel for a cash refund.
Old 01-21-2015, 21:28   #20
picker

When I was lookin for a 357 sig barrel for my Glock 23 I came close to buying a LW Barrel, 50 bucks cheaper if memory serves, damn glad I didn't, bought a Glock and no issues .
Best/picker
picker is offline   Reply With Quote