Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2014, 21:16   #1
G-34

550b

Got it up and running after waiting a week for it to be dilivered. I e got to say for my first dillon... It does not disappoint I effing love this press!!

"There is nothing so terrible as ignorance in motion.."
-Skyhook
G-34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 21:18   #2
F106 Fan

There's a reason that the 550B is the workhorse of the reloading bunch. Even more outstanding than the product itself is the customer service behind it. Dillon is an outstanding company.

Richard
Old 07-14-2014, 22:11   #3
larryp243

welcome to the BLUE side
larryp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 22:51   #4
fredj338

Congrats. I run a 550 & 650, still love the simplicity of the 550.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 23:09   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Congrats on the new press.

I've been really tempted to get a 550 to run my lower volume calibers that I now run on my LCT. I don't really need it, as the LCT does the job with little fuss... I just love my 650, and figure I must really be missing something by not having a 550.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-14-2014 at 23:09..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 23:14   #6
fredj338

The 550 is about twice the press of the LCT. Unless you want to replace the LCT, not really a need for the 550. Then again,when has need really come into it.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 07-14-2014, 23:55   #7
WeeWilly

I too love my 550B, it just runs and runs...
Old 07-14-2014, 23:58   #8
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Congrats!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:23   #9
colin1230

Congratulations! It will serve you well for many years.
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:06   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The 550 is about twice the press of the LCT. Unless you want to replace the LCT, not really a need for the 550. Then again,when has need really come into it.
Yeah... Honestly, from a pure volume standpoint of the 3 calibers I'd use it for (38spl, .357mag and .45)... there's no way I could justify the cost... fortunately I'm cheap.. so it's unlikely to happen if I can't justify it in my head.'

One of these days though, I might just have a moment of weakness...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29   #11
Murphy's Law

8 years on mine and still going strong!
Old 07-15-2014, 15:24   #12
norton

All your 550 needs now is the case feeder.
Old 07-15-2014, 16:01   #13
G-34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post

and a bullet feeder and an automatic handle puller.... then i can sit back and watch my ammo be made for me

"There is nothing so terrible as ignorance in motion.."
-Skyhook
G-34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 18:31   #14
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-34 View Post
and a bullet feeder and an automatic handle puller.... then i can sit back and watch my ammo be made for me
That's called a Camdex. Yes we all want one.
http://www.camdexloader.com/
Old 07-15-2014, 22:33   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Just from what I've read.. If you want a case feeder, just get the 650. I imagine it probably destroys the 550's simplicity.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 05:02   #16
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Just from what I've read.. If you want a case feeder, just get the 650. I imagine it probably destroys the 550's simplicity.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
No, it doesn't. What is does is eliminate some hand movement, allowing me to concentrate on powder drop and bullet seating stations. Does it make it any faster? Not for me, but then I don't reload to set records.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
No, it doesn't. What is does is eliminate some hand movement, allowing me to concentrate on powder drop and bullet seating stations. Does it make it any faster? Not for me, but then I don't reload to set records.
I'll take your word for it.. I've just read about some folks (C4W for example) seemingly having more problems with the case feeder than it was worth...

Glad it's working for you though...
Old 07-16-2014, 13:28   #18
fredj338

There are many, many 550 guys that tried the case feeder & found it lacking. The machine was never designed for it. IF you can get it to work, you are blessed. A case feeder complicates the simplicity of the 550 for change overs & just running it in general. Yes, if you must have the case feeder, get the 650. Not much more when you add the numbers.
Bullet feeder on a 550 is problematic with only 4 stns. You could do it, for rifle, leaving out a powder check die. Again, if you want all that stuff, go 650.

Last edited by fredj338; 07-16-2014 at 13:29..
Old 07-16-2014, 17:51   #19
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'll take your word for it.. I've just read about some folks (C4W for example) seemingly having more problems with the case feeder than it was worth...

Glad it's working for you though...
Thanks IGF. The only issue I have had with the feeder is with .45 colt cases. It will flip 2 or 3 out of a hundred. I just keep an eye on it and when it does flip stop the press, make the easy correction and go on. .45 acp and 38 special/.357 don't seem to have that issue. Of course I have mentioned before I resize and deprime on a single stage. Its just the way I prefer, and did it before adding the feeder.
Old 07-16-2014, 23:01   #20
Colorado4Wheel

The 550 is just not as good of a machine for a casefeeder. It bounces cases back and they hit the sizing die. It's a pita to adjust compared to the 650 as well.