Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2014, 22:02   #1
rangerhgm

Digital Powder Scales

I'd like to get a reliable consistent scale without spending more than about $125.

Recommendations?
Old 07-15-2014, 22:31   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerhgm View Post
I'd like to get a reliable consistent scale without spending more than about $125.

Recommendations?
You should be able to get either the Dillon or an RCBS (705 or 750 I think) are both at the top of that price point and are good scales.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08   #3
F106 Fan

The Dillon Eliminator is, by all accounts, an excellent beam scale. I don't have one...

The Dillon D'Terminator is an excellent digital scale but you need to add about $30 to your budget (plus shipping). I do have the D'Terminator and I use it all the time. It's great!

ETA: The optional protective case for the D'Terminator isn't really optional.

You will also need check weights:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...=check+weights

The weight(s) that come with the scale are used to calibrate the scale at mid-scale and full scale (or just full scale). Check weights are used to check the scale in the region of interest - a few grains in the case of pistol loads.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 07-16-2014 at 07:10..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25   #4
Colorado4Wheel

$119. Brought to you by the same people who make the Dillon Scale is the rumor.

Reloading

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/C...nic-Scale.html
Old 07-16-2014, 10:41   #5
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
$119. Brought to you by the same people who make the Dillon Scale is the rumor.

Reloading

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/C...nic-Scale.html
But... From the link:
Quote:
Important: Due to the wide range of unit weights and capacity, this digital scale is not designed for slow precise powder trickling.

I wouldn't overlook the utility of the wind screen on the Dillon and they seem to have gone out of their way to deal with static issues. True, I don't always use the wind screen (if I can keep air motion down) but it's a nice feature.

Richard
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...ProductFinding

This one is generally pretty well reviewed and will fall within your budget.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 13:21   #7
FLSlim

I have a Dillon (D-terminator) that is a few years old, and I highly recommend it. I've never has an issue with function or accuracy/repeatability. I haven't priced them lately, but they should be close to your price point.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 13:25   #8
fredj338

The Dillon, the RCBS, the larger Hornady. I would trust nothing cheaper.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 14:04   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
But... From the link:
[/FONT]

I wouldn't overlook the utility of the wind screen on the Dillon and they seem to have gone out of their way to deal with static issues. True, I don't always use the wind screen (if I can keep air motion down) but it's a nice feature.

Richard
It will work for trickling. If you look at the gram resolution it has a lot more resolution then needed once it's converted to Grains. BUT, it's not designed for that. It's the same scale as the Dillon inside. Dillon isn't really designed for that either. If you want one to hook up to a trickler buy the RCBS. Not the Dillon or the others.
Old 07-16-2014, 15:55   #10
motorcyclist

I've had a Hornady LNL bench scale for about 6 months now and its worked great. It does need the 15 minute warm up time Hornady recommends. They also put 3 feet on it so you have to use 2 hands when pushing buttons or you flip it up. I found some rubber tape and made 2 more feet and can calibrate it with one hand now.
If you want cheap I've had a MTM mini digital scale that was $30 from Midway for a couple of years now that has been spot on when compared to a Lyman M5 beam. When it starts to wander just pop in a fresh battery and it's GTG!
Old 07-16-2014, 16:17   #11
Murphy's Law

I have the Dillon Terminator now going on about 6 years and find it to be spot on (even when on batteries). Since it's so reliable as checked against my Eliminator every now and then that pretty much just stick with the digital. Go blue, you won't re great it!
Old 07-16-2014, 17:27   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclist View Post
If you want cheap I've had a MTM mini digital scale that was $30 from Midway for a couple of years now that has been spot on when compared to a Lyman M5 beam. When it starts to wander just pop in a fresh battery and it's GTG!
And exactly how will you know when that is?? Unless yo uare checking zero every time you way a charge. No, the cheap scales are crap, should NEVER be trusted for measuring pistol powders. It only takes one mistake with something like Clays or TG to ruin your day.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-16-2014 at 17:27..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 18:53   #13
motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
And exactly how will you know when that is?? Unless yo uare checking zero every time you way a charge. No, the cheap scales are crap, should NEVER be trusted for measuring pistol powders. It only takes one mistake with something like Clays or TG to ruin your day.
Drop a charge on the pan and the digital readout will drift up a tenth or two and then drift back down, but it is still reading accurately. Check that charge on the beam scale and it weighs what the digital said it did. Put in a new battery and the digital readout stops drifting.
Old 07-16-2014, 19:24   #14
jlbeasley1976
Southern BTGOG

GemPro 250 around $100.
jlbeasley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58   #15
Kentguy

rangerhgm "I'd like to get a reliable consistent scale without spending more than about $125."

If your mind is set on a digital scale these guys have listed some very nice models. However if you would like a superb balance beam scale - let me recommend the RCBS 10-10 scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/415...ProductFinding

I know it's a bit more money then you posted but it is one of those scale you buy once and pass down to your kids.

Might be worth a look.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33   #16
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
rangerhgm "I'd like to get a reliable consistent scale without spending more than about $125."

If your mind is set on a digital scale these guys have listed some very nice models. However if you would like a superb balance beam scale - let me recommend the RCBS 10-10 scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/415...ProductFinding

I know it's a bit more money then you posted but it is one of those scale you buy once and pass down to your kids.

Might be worth a look.
I couldn't agree more. I broke one of the pivots off the beam on my 1010, totally my fault, RCBS sent me a whole new scale.

Always reliable, never a doubt what my charge/bullet/case weighs...

I have owned quite a few digital scales, a few a lot more expensive than your budget and they all went south sooner or later, so I don't fool around with them anymore.

If I was dead set on getting a digital scale, I would only get either a Dillon or RCBS. Enough credible people on these boards think enough of them to use them that it may be worth a try, but only if you are dead set on a digital.

For me, I am RCBS 1010 for the duration.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12   #17
rangerhgm

I already had a cheap (about $20) digital scale and now also have the Lee bar scale that came with my Lee press.

I know my cheap digital isn't always accurate because, while setting up my press, I've been using the same case to measure the powder dropped using both the the powder disks and the charge bar. When I use the tare function to weigh the empty case, one time it shows 68.8 and the next time it will show 68.2 (or .4)

I've used both of them, but decided I wanted a "good" digital is because you can get a measurement much quicker.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51   #18
F106 Fan

I prefer the digital over the beam scale. I have a cheap beam scale that came with my first RCBS kit ('82 or so) but it seems so slow and clubby compared to the digital. OTOH, as I trickle charges, I can see the arm move. That's actually better than waiting for a digit to change and then wondering whether you are right at the weight or as much as a round-off error from some other weight. But I still prefer the digital.

I wouldn't trust ANY scale without verifying it with check weights.

Fred pointed out that he doesn't favor any of the 'cheap' digital scales and I don't favor any scale that wasn't designed for loading. I don't know anything about Hornady's offerings but they are probably quite good. I have the RCBS ChargeMaster (dispenser plus digital scale) and the Dillon D'Terminator. I trust both of them. I wouldn't be happy with anything else.

You just can't afford a screw-up with fast pistol powders. Maybe there's a little more slack for rifle loads but I still try to get +- 0.1gr even with 50gr charges. For rifle loads, I dispense the charge with the ChargeMaster and then verify it with the D'Terminator. I'm pretty serious about consistent loads. For pistol, not so much. I check the powder measure before I start and a couple of rounds later. Other than that, I depend on the consistency of the Dillon powder measure. That and I don't do max loads.

Someone else mentioned above that scales are forever. That's true! Presses may come and go as volume and caliber requirements change. The scale remains forever. It might as well be a good one.

Richard
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40   #19
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

If I had to do it again, would go with the BrianEnos.com Pro-digital Scale. 50 gram capacity (770 grains) and is accurate to .02 grains! It carries a LIFETIME manufactures warranty.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 20:36   #20
Kwesi

My Dillon Terminator (made by CED) is accurate to .01 grains. I check it regularly with a set of Lyman check weights.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote