Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:28   #1
gunowner1

Mixing Same Powder Types?

I know I could just google this question but I wanted to ask here first. I just got 8lbs. of WST from Powder Valley and they sent me (8) 1 LB. bottles. I want to create more room where I store my powder and was wondering if it is ok to combine partially filled 1LB. containers?
I am not loading any "intense" loads with any of these powders out of the 1LB. bottles. If I knew exactly where the lot numbers were on the containers I wouldn't worry about mixing same lots. My concern is mixing the 1LB. bottles that may not be the same lot number.
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:33   #2
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunowner1 View Post
I know I could just google this question but I wanted to ask here first. I just got 8lbs. of WST from Powder Valley and they sent me (8) 1 LB. bottles. I want to create more room where I store my powder and was wondering if it is ok to combine partially filled 1LB. containers?
I am not loading any "intense" loads with any of these powders out of the 1LB. bottles. If I knew exactly where the lot numbers were on the containers I wouldn't worry about mixing same lots. My concern is mixing the 1LB. bottles that may not be the same lot number.
Not a problem.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:41   #3
gunowner1

Thanks Willy. So I can take the two partially filled 1 LBers and combine them with the partially filled 5LB. container I got? The powder is Blue dot by the way.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:55   #4
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunowner1 View Post
Thanks Willy. So I can take the two partially filled 1 LBers and combine them with the partially filled 5LB. container I got? The powder is Blue dot by the way.
Sure. I have done the exact same thing with Blue Dot recently. I had a big jug that was down to a few pounds and could only find 1lb'ers, so when I got them home, poured them all together. I keep one pounder's of the powders I use in a cabinet above my bench (in the garage). I keep my bulk containers in a room off the garage that is temp controlled, just to help with longevity. So I do a lot of combining and refilling of the one pounders.

On precision rifle, I do combine a little more carefully (I have a sort of process) and when I get a new jug, I do a session to confirm the velocities are where I want them. I have not had it happen very often, but a few times things changed enough lot to lot to matter. In handgun, I have never been good enough to notice lot to lot changes, even when loading at the edge.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:16   #5
gunowner1

I'm laughing because I found another partially filled 5 of BD. I combined (2) 1LBers with (2) partially filled (5) LBers. That clears it up a little bit. Now if I can find a taker for the open can of 4831 and the 1LB. of Titewad I have I can move in there. I'm not messing with the Titewad. Too fast of a powder. The 4831 was given to me open and I don't load heavy rifle. Being open doesn't help get rid of it. It may just fertilize the lawn tomorrow. I may be able to find someone who loads shotgun to take the 1LB. of Titewad.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38   #6
WeeWilly

If you load any 45 Auto, especially 200gr LSWC's, the TW will work really well.

If you know anyone that loads their own light 12ga skeet loads, they will probably be really happy if you bring the TW over.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24   #7
jmorris

Would be better said this way, "can I mix the exact same powder from two differrent jugs?" Yes.

WST with Blue Dot, no. Despite the fact that they are both pistol type powder.

Not sure if that is what you were asking but I can't see why you would have several jugs of the exact same powder open, seems like you would empty a jug before opening a new one.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55   #8
Kwesi

I thought it was not advisable to mix the same powder IF from different lots...hmmm
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 13:16   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Usually ok to mix together. I take the last little bit from one container and dump it into the new and blend.

One caveat...

Powders like Accurate 7 & 9 have changed suppliers several times. Those that were made in Belgium a few years ago don't even look like the powders now made in the USA. They were made in Israel prior to that. In those situations I would NOT mix.

Last edited by Taterhead; 09-06-2014 at 13:17..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 20:41   #10
gunowner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
Would be better said this way, "can I mix the exact same powder from two differrent jugs?" Yes.

Not sure if that is what you were asking but I can't see why you would have several jugs of the exact same powder open, seems like you would empty a jug before opening a new one.
Sorry that is what I meant. I am combining the same powders together. Since I recently acquired a lot of new pistol powders I am trying to make some room.
Old 09-06-2014, 21:19   #11
unclebob

I check to make sure they both lots meter out the same before mixing. Or going to a different lot. If it is a very small amount I do not worry about it. I just put it in the jug and shake to mix. I have only come across one or two times when they did not meter out the same. One was VV N320 powder.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-06-2014, 21:19   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwesi View Post
I thought it was not advisable to mix the same powder IF from different lots...hmmm
There are a couple diff powders that have wide variations from lot to lot, but in general, just not an issue mixing identical powders. The only issue old be if there was a recall by lot #, then you would be in a bit of trouble.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 22:34   #13
jmorris

Quote:
Some may say you shouldn't, many gun manuals say not to shoot any reloaded ammunition too.

If there was that much difference between lots, one would think you should work up loads with each new container of powder.

I may have become complacent over the last 30 years reloading though.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32   #14
JP22

Quote:
I remember reading that you if using surplus military powder, you should work up your loads when doing this because of the variations from lot to lot.
JP22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 19:12   #15
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP22 View Post
I remember reading that you if using surplus military powder, you should work up your loads when doing this because of the variations from lot to lot.
That is true. Powders like 844 surplus are not as lot-to-lot consistent as are canister powders.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:43   #16
mboylan

Quote:

Depends on the powder. Lot to lot differences in powders such as Solo 1000 are enough to cause differences in velocity. It still isn't dangerous.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12   #17
jmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
Depends on the powder. Lot to lot differences in powders such as Solo 1000 are enough to cause differences in velocity. It still isn't dangerous.
Never used Solo 1000 but that would suck.

Have a load that works great and open a new jug before a match then not make power factor. I'll have to remember to stay away from that one.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55   #18
mboylan

Quote:

Have a load that works great and open a new jug before a match then not make power factor. I'll have to remember to stay away from that one.
Yep. Back in the day there was only shotgun load data for it. You had to buy 20+ pounds from the same lot to be safe. However, almost all powders are temperature sensitive. So you should always give yourself a 5-10 PF margin.

I switched to VV N320 after that. It got too expensive and hard to find. I have settled on E3. There is only shotgun load data for it. It does not burn as cool as N320, but has zero temperature sensitivity. The pressure curve in 9mm and 40 cases is very stable and well behaved.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05   #19
smokey45

Send a message via ICQ to smokey45
I don't concern myself with powder lot numbers with pistol powders. When loading for minor, I load to around 135. For major, I try for 173-175. (chronoed around 85-90 degrees) It has always given me an adequate cushion to make PF regardless of temp swings. Most of my matches these days don't have a chronograph stage, but I make PF anyway JIC.
s45
Old 09-15-2014, 13:36   #20
fredj338

Quote:

I moved away from RL22 for my magnums for the lot to lot variation. I would still mix a small amount with large amount, but then I was dropping back 5% & working back up anyway.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote