nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

Tagged for later drooling!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34   #162
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Didn't go thru all 7 pages but just FYI, Daniel Defense is about to roll out a interest free financing for a couple rifle packages.

Basically, an agency gets an account and a certain amount is drawn out from each paycheck and the dept. sends it to the company at one time. Rifles are shipped out a day or two after ordering.

Might be something to consider if money is tight.
I also think it is only open for patrol officers which last I checked was the backbone of any agency.
We're waiting to hear whether it will be just the "package" guns they have put together or not. If not, I'll be ordering a V5 LW for myself. I actually have the cash for it, but who can argue with the pre-tax payroll deduction?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 13:53   #163
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Unfortunately for me I can only drool here. My rifle is a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S with a pencil-thin barrel and a fixed handle. It was my dad's rifle. I've not seen another like it. Crappy thin barrel, crappy fixed handle, but nice collapsable butt stock and short carbine length. I haven't the foggiest idea how to shoot it correctly. A long time ago I put a regular sling on it and a Ellzetta light mount with a regular SureFire 6P in it. No time or $ to go to an extra-curricular rifle course and the two departments I serve won't send me.

BTW, what's with all the curvy trigger guards these days?

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 10-07-2011 at 13:54..
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 15:20   #164
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

More room when shooting with gloves.

I always despised the stock trigger guards. By the way, a KISS rifle in the hands of someone who knows how to use it will beat the range ninja any day of the week.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:44   #165
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Pencil barrels are actually very much "in" right now.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:45   #166
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
My agency issues old surplus M-16 rifles some are full auto. They have triangular handguards and fixed carry handles. In a word, they suck. It sure beats throwing rocks during a L.A bank robbery scenario or active shooter. We can only use 55gr. ammo amd no frangible ammo at the range. The 1/10 twist barrels don't stabilize anything bigger than 55 gr. and the frangible stuff keyholes. No option of carrying personally owned guns.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07   #167
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
My agency issues old surplus M-16 rifles some are full auto. They have triangular handguards and fixed carry handles. In a word, they suck.

There's no way you're talking about the same rifle with those two terms...
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 13:43   #168
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Quote:
My agency issues old surplus M-16 rifles some are full auto. They have triangular handguards and fixed carry handles. In a word, they suck. It sure beats throwing rocks during a L.A bank robbery scenario or active shooter. We can only use 55gr. ammo amd no frangible ammo at the range. The 1/10 twist barrels don't stabilize anything bigger than 55 gr. and the frangible stuff keyholes. No option of carrying personally owned guns.
Really? I'd give anything to be issued an old m16 beater...and technically the lower is the gun, you should see what you could get away with by swapping uppers....just saying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 14:07   #169
toddmog

Quote:
Our full time guys are issued the same thing. Issued ammo is 55grn, so I'm unaware of any of the issues you mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30another600r View Post
Really? I'd give anything to be issued an old m16 beater...and technically the lower is the gun, you should see what you could get away with by swapping uppers....just saying.
I'd love to be issued one. I shoot one any time we have some extra time at the range. I just gotta remember to bring extra ammo. I owe my buddy a couple of mags worth right now.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:09   #170
Bodyarmorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
We got trained today on our rifles. Colt LE6940 with Aimpoint - don't know what model Aimpoint. I was skeptical of the optics, having never used a red dot sight and only ever having shot through a scope maybe five times in my life. I like it.

I still say we should have gotten HK416s or better yet, HK94s. I am a fan of the delayed roller locking bolt.
You should be just fine with the Colt. I understand you liking the HK416's but LOrd knows they are considerably heavier if you have to lug it around a while. Why do you think that HK94's would be even better? I am not knocking pistol caliber carbines as I have some myself (Colt, HK and Ruger) but at the end of the day, they are still a pistol cartridge vs a rifle cartridge fired from the same platform.
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:14   #171
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
My department just acquired an old "US Property" marked M16. It has the triangular handguard, fixed carry handle, and no forward assist. It was full auto but our armorer converted it to semi with the option to return it to it's original configuration.

I qualified with this weapon last month; This thing is shootin' rifle! I usually shoot 100% with a standard issue M4/AR but my groups are wide and sloppy. This 40 year old M16 gave me a group that had me shocked! Nice and tight....picture perfect. Who'd a thunk it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:25   #172
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyarmorguy View Post
You should be just fine with the Colt. I understand you liking the HK416's but LOrd knows they are considerably heavier if you have to lug it around a while. Why do you think that HK94's would be even better? I am not knocking pistol caliber carbines as I have some myself (Colt, HK and Ruger) but at the end of the day, they are still a pistol cartridge vs a rifle cartridge fired from the same platform.
Oops, I misspoke. Yeah, I know that an HK94 is an MP5. I meant HK93, the .223 rifle.

I am really happy with the Colt, but still wish we could buy our own or at least be allowed to hang what we want off of it.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 00:55   #173
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Pencil barrels are actually very much "in" right now.
Really?

I didn't know I was en vogue.

I really built a LW gun because holding it for three hours on a perimeter suxorz!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29   #174
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
We tried using frangible round from Federal and winchester. Both no go. We shoot at outdoor range 50yds., they require green ammo. Groups were terrible and when we scored paper targets we were getting keyholes. Switched back to 55 grain American Eagle FMJ and Federal TRU HP 55 grain. All problems went away, except one, still can't use 62 gr. bullets for better penetration, twist rate on old Mil. Surplus guns won't stabilize round.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44   #175
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Really?

I didn't know I was en vogue.

I really built a LW gun because holding it for three hours on a perimeter suxorz!
Absolutely. DD, Noveske, and BCM are all really starting to pump them out. I think that for semi-automatic fire and patrol type ranges, the heavier profiles are useful in such a small percentage of cases that the weight reduction far outweighs any performance issue. My next one will probably be lightweight.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:51   #176
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

So my rifle and I aren't losers? Like I've said, I've never seen a barrel this thin on any other AR made today.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13   #177
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
So my rifle and I aren't losers? Like I've said, I've never seen a barrel this thin on any other AR made today.
They've started to do it a lot more. Cheer up; ours are surplus M16A1s, and Colt 9mm SMGs.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:10   #178
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Here's my weenie-barreled rifle in all it's glory-
Cop Talk
Old 10-11-2011, 19:29   #179
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
Unfortunately for me I can only drool here. My rifle is a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S with a pencil-thin barrel and a fixed handle. It was my dad's rifle. I've not seen another like it. Crappy thin barrel, crappy fixed handle, but nice collapsable butt stock and short carbine length. I haven't the foggiest idea how to shoot it correctly. A long time ago I put a regular sling on it and a Ellzetta light mount with a regular SureFire 6P in it. No time or $ to go to an extra-curricular rifle course and the two departments I serve won't send me.

BTW, what's with all the curvy trigger guards these days?
I just built a 12.5 pencil barrel for one of our entry guys with a ADCO hammer forged barrel and a VLTOR small diameter mini gas block.. very light.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49   #180
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Unless you plan on firing strings and strings of uninterrupted fire, your "pencil" barrel is just fine for work. Free float your handguards and no issues. I'm half tempted to fine a 6520, pull the barrel and block and install it on a 6920 upper. I know Elmore makes a similar beast but I'm goggling on the price.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/p...tor-913-2.html

Hard to beat a base weight of 6 pounds. Tack on a T-1, sling and forward mount point, light and mount and you'd still be running relatively light.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594

Last edited by Morris; 10-12-2011 at 07:51..
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote