Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2012, 18:20   #341
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Pretty sure we have a drawer full of them (along with about 100 carrying handles).
Old 07-31-2012, 18:24   #342
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

I guess that if our new CT troll (VAPA-Rick) saw this thread, he will regret the level of armoring of his Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Quote:
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 18:44   #343
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
Holy cow, this thread got bumped to page 2!

Here's mine. Just got it today. Box-stock 6720. It's roll-marked "AR-15A4, Lightweight Law Enforcement Carbine."

(crummy iPhone photo...no socks or bare feet )
Cop Talk

It's got a Roger's stock, flat top receiver/MaTech BUIS and it came with two 20-rd. P-Mags. I'll be contacting Shadez of Grey Tactical shortly to get all of my Magpul goodies.
How do you like it? That is the exact one I've been looking at in a gun shop here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 19:00   #344
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
How do you like it? That is the exact one I've been looking at in a gun shop here.

I love it...in the total of 5 hours I've owned it!
Old 07-31-2012, 20:24   #345
CW Mock

I have had my Colt 6720 a few weeks now, more or less, and thanks to a class and some range time, I have about 1400 rounds through it.

I like the Rogers Super-Stoc. Its very light, locks up tight, and feels good. I see no reason to replace it with a Magpul CTR/MOE like I had kind of intended. Very much an improvement over the older style carbine stock. It's going to stay on there.

Matech rear sight. Not my favorite. It works as a sight, but I ran into the following issues.

It gets knocked off its range setting easily. I had to constantly make sure the range was set where I wanted, and often times I found it knocked off a lot. A BIG part of it is how I charge the rifle. As a lefty, on a combat reload I end up reaching over and grabbing the charging handle much like a handgun - over the top for a "slingshot." It's fast and easy - but as i do it, I have knocked the range knob on the Matech all over the place, and because it doesn't lock upright, even closed it a few times. It's never been an issue with my Troy sights.

Second - its a small aperture only. Difficult to use in dim light or low light. I use two methods for low light, no flashlight shooting - either the large aperture, or I "V" the sights, and use the front post as almost a shotgun bead. Can't do either one with a Matech sight.

Verdict: Matech has to go. Doesn't work for me. It probably does fine for most people, but I prefer a Troy. As a back up sight with range adjustments, it probably works great. Anyone want to trade a Troy rear folder for a Matech and 50 bucks?

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 charging handle. All AR's should have one of these. I saw several "regular" charging handles bend or break in a week. Most of them sheared the roll pin, and the latch went bye-bye. I think I could probably kick-start a BCM Gunfighter like a 500cc dirtbike and it would be okay.

Magpul ASP and MS3 sling: Work pretty dang good for transitions ... as long as you are semi-upright when you do the transition. From a prone position, they get snagged on the buttstock and make a mess. I found you have to wear it "tight" to be comfortable and minimize shifting. I'm going to keep it on my rifle. I just have to keep in mind a prone transition is going to take more effort.

Now for the 6720 ...

It's been a warhorse so far. It's light, and swings fast. It's not taxing to keep up on target for long periods, even with the beastly Comp M2 on top. With a T1 I bet its the bee's knees. It's probably more accurate than I am. Best I did all week was a 1.5 inch group (5 rounds) of XM193 at 100 yards. That was in ideal conditions, prone with a ammo can and sandbag rest. The trigger on mine is not great. Its a bit crunchy, but at about the same weight of all the other GI triggers on ARs I have ever shot. No scale, but it feels like 7-8 lbs maybe. 1500 rounds in, and its not quite as crunchy anymore. Not nearly as crisp as the M&P15 I have though (although that one has KNS pins, which I hear help).

No malfunctions at all that were not intentionally set up. Ejects brass forcefully well clear of the weapon. I run my guns pretty wet with CLP, and that probably helps a lot. I also cleaned after every day.

Ran the gun pretty hard, to the point smoke was coming out from the handguard vents and heat shimmers were rising off the barrel. Nothing at all has come loose, broken or otherwise failed.

I know this is a photo thread, but I'm already deep into a review of the 6720 and some gear, so I might as well finish ...

Colt 6720 is full of win. It's roll-marked AR15A4 Lightweight LE Carbine ... and it is THE LE carbine for me. Colt saw the light on this one.

Matech rear sight is not for me.
ASP and MS3 are good setups, and I like them. Vickers 2 point is also an awesome sling. Just pick what you like for what you might need.

I'm not a SEAL, DELTA, SWAT, Carbine instructor school teacher guy. I'm a road cop who likes to shoot, and likes to learn better ways of doing it. That said, I learned some good things.

Gear needs to be tested before use. Don't just buy it, and hope its going to work. It might not under stress or hard use. I saw guys using stuff that just didn't work for them, from slings and chest rigs, to how/where they had accessories on their weapons.

Keep your blaster clean and maintained. AR guys, lube it up!

Buy a decent rifle. In one week I saw:

Charging handles break.

Gas key (improperly staked Bushmaster) shoot loose.

Improperly torqued barrel.

Broken sights (Magpul)

Rem Oil is a CRAPPY lube. It dies out way too fast.

Hex head screws for accessories need to be tightened regularly too. I have a section of Magpul rail on my handguard, and it shot loose. I added loc-tite, and check them every cleaning now just to be safe. Since loc-tite, nothing has moved, but I'd rather be absolute, and not hopeful.

Magazines - GI style need to be checked regularly for damage, but work well. Magpul mags rock. Troy Battlemags are a PITA to use if your hands are wet.

An M&P Sport ... I have no idea WTF that dude was thinking, other than the rifle was cheap. No dust cover, no forward assist, and just ... not for hard use. No real surprise when it started acting up. Ever wonder why these things have a forward assist, dust cover, staked castle nuts, etc? It's because when you need them, you NEED them. This guy could not even do a press check half the time. Do. Not. Ever. Use. A. Cheap. Rifle. For. Work. EVER.

At the class I saw Colts - my 6720, an A2 ban era sporter with fixed stock, no flash supressor, etc, and an M16A1 from the 'nam. None of them had any malfunctions other than ones set up by us.

Hydromatic M16A1. Hydromatic probably killed as many GI's as the enemy did in Vietnam. Every single Hydromatic made M16 I have seen (and we have quite a few) has been a jamtastic POS. Running it soaked in lube is the only way you can hope for it to work long term. We have one that won't work at all, period for more than 3 rounds at a time unless the bolt group is literally soaked in CLP. If you get one on the government program, have it checked out and shoot it a bit before you roll out and trust your life to it.

M&P15s - A,X, and T ... and the Sport. All worked pretty good. A few malfunctions, mostly from a lack of lube. The M&P rifles were the most common rifle at the class, and did pretty good. Avoid the Sport for duty use. Don't ask why, just do it.

Bushmaster - carrier key shot loose on one. Think it was a Bushmaster with an improperly torqued barrel, which caused shots to be all over the place, and inability to zero. Armorer fixed both and it made it the rest of the class.

EOTech vs Aimpoint. Wow. I saw Eotechs run out of batteries, plain quit, or shoot themselves loose and fall off the guns. We were warned it would happen and it did. If you have one, better make sure its tight every day, and the batteries are on a regular rotation cycle. I had one for a while, and it was fine for me, other than it came on at night WAY too bright. Aimpoints are pretty solid. None of us Aimpoint guys had any issues. Compared to a T1, a Comp M2 is a bloated pig, LOL

Have a dedicated rifle mounted light. If you think you are okay without one, go shoot at night doing something else than standing perfectly still, and then get back to us.

That's about it ... I'm keeping the 6720, and I want to dump the Matech sight for a Troy, and the Comp M2 for a T1.

Get a Colt 6720. They rock.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 21:08   #346
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
Pretty sure we have a drawer full of them (along with about 100 carrying handles).
Those handles people will actually buy. Sold mine for $55 on ar15.com

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 07-31-2012, 22:58   #347
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Those handles people will actually buy. Sold mine for $55 on ar15.com

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
They ain't mine, and we have such weird rules about selling stuff it's not worth it (even if we made a lot of money, it goes into the city general account, and the PD and firearms unit don't see a dime of it). They're actually more likely to let us donate parts and surplus gear to agencies that need them than have us auction them off.

And GREAT post CW!
Old 07-31-2012, 23:56   #348
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Gas key (improperly staked Bushmaster) shoot loose.
Sad to see things haven't changed. The first four BMs our agency bought all had this issue. Had to tighten and peen every one of them.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 14:56   #349
ucop27

Patrol carries LE6920's, I was able to get my Chief to purchase Colt6945 for the Lt's, added a Trek-T suppressor, aimpoint comp 4, I am not sure if I like the 3x magnifier. Just need to add the sling and sight her in. Its alot lighter than the 14.5 6920 especially since ours have Gemtech halo suppressors, the Trek-T is stupid light.

Cop Talk

Last edited by ucop27; 08-11-2012 at 15:08..
ucop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:44   #350
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucop27 View Post
Patrol carries LE6920's, I was able to get my Chief to purchase Colt6945 for the Lt's, added a Trek-T suppressor, aimpoint comp 4, I am not sure if I like the 3x magnifier. Just need to add the sling and sight her in. Its alot lighter than the 14.5 6920 especially since ours have Gemtech halo suppressors, the Trek-T is stupid light.

Cop Talk
Those should be going to patrol.... just saying
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:28   #351
ucop27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
Those should be going to patrol.... just saying
That's my plan for next year, coerced my chief into buying one this year and if we like it we are going to trade in the 6920's for these.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2012, 02:42   #352
mi2kga

I wanna play!

The top one is my patrol rifle. Its a Palmetto State Armory and I love it. I switched to a viking tach two point sling and moved the single to the SBR/pistol.

The bottom one is currently a pistol until the tax stamp arrives to make it a SBR. It has a 7.5in bbl. It already has an Aimpoint PRO on it although its not pictured. I have the CTR stock ready to go for when its legal.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Last edited by mi2kga; 08-13-2012 at 02:54..
mi2kga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:56   #353
Ohio Copper

Went and fondled a s&w m&p15 yesterday.

It was the OR version, I'd need to add BUIS to it and I'd be good to go, the price the guy laid out can't be beat for around here.

I've got two weeks or so to decide an keep looking around.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 08-14-2012, 20:26   #354
FLglockdude

Not LE, but FWIW I have an M&P15OR model that has over 1000 rounds through it, mostly Tula steel cased without a single malfunction. It's not a top shelf gun, but if you can't afford one, it's a great high value option.

Quote:
Went and fondled a s&w m&p15 yesterday.

It was the OR version, I'd need to add BUIS to it and I'd be good to go, the price the guy laid out can't be beat for around here.

I've got two weeks or so to decide an keep looking around.

FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 21:07   #355
GTownGlockMan

Took 6mon worth of piece by piece budgeting but I finally got her built. Love the Aimpoint PRO and the Olight is a beast. Big fan of the BCM Gunfighter charging handle too. All I really have left is a new buttstock and replace the trigger group with something smoother.

Attached Thumbnails
Cop Talk - Click for larger version  
Old 08-14-2012, 21:23   #356
PettyOfficer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTownGlockMan View Post
the Olight is a beast.
I just got the Olight M20S-X Warrior and it's quite the powerhouse.

Last edited by PettyOfficer; 08-14-2012 at 21:26..
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 22:02   #357
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
Not LE, but FWIW I have an M&P15OR model that has over 1000 rounds through it, mostly Tula steel cased without a single malfunction. It's not a top shelf gun, but if you can't afford one, it's a great high value option.
What did you use for sights? I was thinkin of gettin that and then some magpul BUIS.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 08-14-2012, 22:05   #358
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
What did you use for sights? I was thinkin of gettin that and then some magpul BUIS.

They may not work right on a gas block rail; those typically sit lower than a railed forend, thus not wanting to get high enough to zero. There are a few flip-up front irons that are made for the gas block, though.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 22:17   #359
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
They may not work right on a gas block rail; those typically sit lower than a railed forend, thus not wanting to get high enough to zero. There are a few flip-up front irons that are made for the gas block, though.
I think I may say screw it and spend the extra 120 for te m&p15t which has the sights.

Didn't know buying a damn rifle was so addicting lol

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 08-14-2012, 22:22   #360
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
I think I may say screw it and spend the extra 120 for te m&p15t which has the sights.

Didn't know buying a damn rifle was so addicting lol

I think you'd be better served by the M&P15T, personally.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote