Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-25-2012, 15:37   #301
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Excellent choice.

If you decide you want some magpul bits, head to shadez of gray tactical. He is a LEO here and has excellent prices.

You can sell the colt carry handle, handguards, grip and stock and fund magpul replacements almost 1 for 1. You may even make money.

I highly recommend the Magpul MS3 sling with ASAP. I also highly recommend a MOE handguard and scout mount for the light. Cheapest best option for you.
I saw your mention of him earlier so I've bookmarked his site. He has great prices on Magpul and that's where I'll be getting all of my accessories from. I'm gonna go with the MOE handguards, MS3 and Scount mount right away. Maybe put some more coin into magazines and ammo and shoot the piss out of it. I need to find a beginner rifle course nearby and sign up. I'm pretty squared away on the in's and out's of the platform through the dept, but as I said before, twice a year we shoot about 15 rounds and that's it. As others have said, given the events of late, I'd like to be a little better prepared, even though that stuff doesn't happen here...
Old 07-25-2012, 15:43   #302
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post

If you have to wait for a tragedy such as this, it's too late. If your Department doesn't have a rifle program, lobby for one. If your Department does have one, by all means, do what it takes to get on the cadre, then train, train, train...
My department has pool guns, one in each patrol car (Bushy's). Our "program" is lame. At least we have them. Being the new guy, I don't have a lot of horsepower but I'm determined to change our policy and get a little more interest in what's going on in the real world.

We are surrounded on all 4 sides by farms and bush. We frequently are out in the sticks with the county and/or the state folks as backup is slim pickens (except in-town). With 17 square miles of rural township, inhabited by unknowns, sovereigns, and of course, the whack-jobs that ARE known to us, it's just a matter of time before someone's fuse pops and the dung will hit the fan. With our weather thus far, the election and a hotbed of local political issues bubbling away, I'm shocked it hasn't yet...
Old 07-25-2012, 15:43   #303
CLoft239
I Like Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I'll be buying my first AR in the next month. Several good choices out there. Looking at the SW mp15 and a colt or bushmaster.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I'm sure you already know this, but AR's can be extremely addicting. Be prepared to get bit by the black rifle bug.

I plan on building my next one. I'm also wanting to buy one from Bravo Co., I hear they make an outstanding rifle.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2012, 15:46   #304
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Pics of the SP6920:

Cop Talk

Is that the sling that came with the rifle?

BTW: thanks for wearing clean socks

I'm waiting to see which magazines mine will ship with. Guess it could be either. The picture on the webpage is with GI (is that correct terminology?) mags but I'm actually hoping for P-Mags.
Old 07-25-2012, 21:23   #305
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
Is that the sling that came with the rifle?

BTW: thanks for wearing clean socks

I'm waiting to see which magazines mine will ship with. Guess it could be either. The picture on the webpage is with GI (is that correct terminology?) mags but I'm actually hoping for P-Mags.
Thanks; I actually just noticed the socks in the pic in the Patrol Rifle thread, lol.

Yes, that's the sling that came with it; standard GI type. The only thing I did was take some black electrical tape to it and secure the loose ends and the big loop that ended up in the front. The rear sling swivel is a quick-release type that came with it as well. The only thing I've added so far is a Magpul MOE grip (earlier today; no pics yet). I may add a rail, and probably a flip-up rear sight and Aimpoint PRO at some later point, though.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 21:37   #306
Ohio Cop

What say you all about "double star" brand. A couple of guys had them and it was suggested to me by them. For some nagging reason I think I've read on here that they are POS?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 22:03   #307
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
What say you all about "double star" brand. A couple of guys had them and it was suggested to me by them. For some nagging reason I think I've read on here that they are POS?

My opinion is that they are "acceptable" for what they are...a low end, low price "kit" gun.

Buy a Colt.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 22:05   #308
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

If you will be deploying this rifle in the field as LE, I would suggest you stick with one of the big companies. Reliability is important if you want something more than just a hobby gun.

I know times are tight, but seriously, you can get a decent deal on a Colt 6920, a built S&W M&P even less.
Old 07-25-2012, 22:10   #309
CW Mock

Never had a double star. But, none of the "go fast" tac trainers have ever mentioned them in a positive way to my knowledge.

The "high speed low drag" guys with a lot of experience are always recommending Colt, LMT, and a few others for a reason. A lot of hard use has shown them to hold up really well.

Today was day three of carbine instructor school. It was hot as hell and then rained and we kept going. The gun geek in me started watching the failures. Most were lubrication related, and none of them were "tier one" guns. My CLP dripping Colt ran all day, on some strings of fire where the handguards were uncomfortable to hold from the heat.

Anyways, I am rambling. I advise anyone reading the thread and contemplating what brand to buy to save a little longer and buy a good gun like a Colt. The price is not too bad now, and the quality on mine is top notch. I have had an RRA and a S&W and while both are decent, they are not Colts. Buy once, cry once. That little extra feature or attention to detail could save your bacon someday.

CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 22:23   #310
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks to Obama, I'm buying another patrol rifle. Probably another 6920 or maybe a Rainier Arms custom build or RUC. Maybe a Noveske.

Thanks Barry! I'll blame it on you when my wife gets the bill. Tax deductable to boot!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 22:28   #311
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Oh yeah, so here's mine-- a Colt LE6920 with an Eotech XPS 3-0 and 3x FTS magnifier.

Cop Talk
Old 07-25-2012, 22:32   #312
CLoft239
I Like Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post
Oh yeah, so here's mine-- a Colt LE6920 with an Eotech XPS 3-0 and 3x FTS magnifier.

Cop Talk
I think my eyeballs just orgasmed...

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48   #313
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
Buy once, cry once. That little extra feature or attention to detail could save your bacon someday.
I'll echo these words. I'm a rifle newbie and I wanted it done right the first time. I can't remember when prices were this low...okay, as a teen, I worked at a gun store when new H-Bars were selling for $799...but that was a while ago!

Colts can be had for less than a grand, shipped...

Old 07-26-2012, 07:24   #314
ticktwrter

My department has military surplus rifles issued to about 55 of 260 officers. I just went through the very good school and was issued an older Colt. It is old enough it doesn't have a forward assist. Despite the age it shoots very well.

I have tried for years to get a policy allowing carrying of personally owned rifles. Sadly, the department won't allow it. I understand that anyone who wants to carry their own rifle would need to attend the 3 day school and show the weapon too be quality made. They really have no great reason why we can't carry our own rifles. I guess the older Colt is better than nothing.
ticktwrter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30   #315
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I have tried for years to get a policy allowing carrying of personally owned rifles. Sadly, the department won't allow it. I understand that anyone who wants to carry their own rifle would need to attend the 3 day school and show the weapon too be quality made. They really have no great reason why we can't carry our own rifles. I guess the older Colt is better than nothing.
That is LOP thinking and the kind of thinking that gets cops killed.

It's damn near criminal in this day and age that we have CLEOs so clueless about deployment of rifles (department issued or personally owned) as an appropriate tool for the job, better than shotguns in nearly all cases.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45   #316
Teej

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Pics of the SP6920:

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk
Is this a patrol rifle or a personally owned rifle.
I'm surprised a department would use the Sporter model.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15   #317
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Is this a patrol rifle or a personally owned rifle.
I'm surprised a department would use the Sporter model.
There is no difference between the "Sporter" SP6920 and the "Law Enforcement Carbine" LE6920. In fact, I don't believe that the LE6920 is being produced any more. Significantly different than, say, the M&P15 "Sport".

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22   #318
Teej

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
There is no difference between the "Sporter" SP6920 and the "Law Enforcement Carbine" LE6920. In fact, I don't believe that the LE6920 is being produced any more. Significantly different than, say, the M&P15 "Sport".
I thought the difference was in the barrel used in the Sporter. Although a reliable and fun gun, great for the novice and recreational shooter, the Sporter's barrel heats up quickly and not designed for a heavy fire fight that a LEO's weapon may find itself in.

I may be totally wrong, but that is why I was wondering if this was a personal pictured weapon or an LEO's patrol weapon. As this threads title is "patrol rifle" I assumed there were all issued patrol rifles being shown.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09   #319
CW Mock

It would take an insane amount of rounds to fry a barrel out, far beyond the average 3 magazines I see most places require. I have 12 mags with me most of the time, and even if I rock and roll, I'm not sure that would do it.

CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 17:29   #320
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I thought the difference was in the barrel used in the Sporter. Although a reliable and fun gun, great for the novice and recreational shooter, the Sporter's barrel heats up quickly and not designed for a heavy fire fight that a LEO's weapon may find itself in.

I may be totally wrong, but that is why I was wondering if this was a personal pictured weapon or an LEO's patrol weapon. As this threads title is "patrol rifle" I assumed there were all issued patrol rifles being shown.
That's a personal weapon. However, the only difference between the LE6920 and SP6920 are the roll marks. Barrels, bolt carrier groups, everything else is identical.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote