rockapede

After lurking this thread for long enough, I guess I'll play:

Cop Talk
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:02   #377
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
As to the forward assist, other than press-checks, I can remember one time having to use it. It was in Basic Training (Army), and while running blanks during an exercise. To say the weapon was dirty would be to say Rosie O'Donnell likes cupcakes, and when it's your ONLY weapon, you do what you have to do to get it back in the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 21:26   #378
CW Mock

6720 Updated

Just did some upgrades to mine after shooting it ... and fiddling with accessories. I love these guns, I have as much fun messing with parts as I did playing with Legos years ago.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

I went back to the CTR stock - the Rogers is good, but I like the rubber buttpad when I am shooting in uniform. It seems to "lock up" better in my shoulder.

BCM Gunfighter grip was okay, but too small. Went back to a MIAD with large backstrap and smooth frontstrap. If the BCM grip were as thick, it would be a winner for me.

Trow folding rear - the MaTech it came with was not my favorite. Doing immediate action drills would cause me to knock the range off the intended setting - and sometimes I didn't realize it until later. It also got knocked off in the trunk of the car too, so it had to go. Besides, it had no large aperture for dim light, or protective ears, and doesn't "lock" up. Bye Bye!

Upgraded the light to a newer Surefire G2 with the LED bulb at 200 lumens. Much nicer than the older incandescent G2 I had.

Aimpoint T1 in 2MOA. FINALLY. Been coveting one of these for years. It's as awesome as I dreamed it would be. First time I ever bought something from Larue Tactical as well. I was impressed. They have GREAT customer service, and offer a LEO discount. My MIAD was missing the grip screw. I e-mailed, they called a few hours later and a replacement was mailed the next morning, no questions asked.

ETA - Wish there were flip-caps for the T1. I miss those from my M2. Much easer to deploy than the stupid rubber deal it has now.

All loaded up with a 30 round PMAG, and it still feels light and pointable. This is probably as fancy as I will go on a patrol rifle. I had one before with rails and broomsticks, lights and cappuccino machines on it, and it was really too heavy for what I needed it to do.

As you can also see, I decided to go FDE this go around. All my black rifles before have been .... well, black. Time to live dangerously, and mix it up! The hand guard is from Cav Arms, and is the M4 double heat shield in "Coyote Brown." I was told this was the closest they had to Magpul FDE, and it IS close, but still a shade or so lighter. I don't really care, but for those that have to have matching shoes and handbags, beware. I like the feel of the M4 fat handguard, and frankly ... all the other FDe hand guards around my area are Magpul, and I wanted to be different. I just don't like that look or feel as much.

Keeping the ASP plate and MS3 sling. I kinda miss my old Vickers Sling, but its about impossible to find a .625 side sling swivel for the 6720. If anyone has one for sale or trade, please let me know!

Last edited by CW Mock; 09-08-2012 at 21:33..
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 00:32   #379
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
Just did some upgrades to mine after shooting it ... and fiddling with accessories. I love these guns, I have as much fun messing with parts as I did playing with Legos years ago.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

I went back to the CTR stock - the Rogers is good, but I like the rubber buttpad when I am shooting in uniform. It seems to "lock up" better in my shoulder.

BCM Gunfighter grip was okay, but too small. Went back to a MIAD with large backstrap and smooth frontstrap. If the BCM grip were as thick, it would be a winner for me.

Trow folding rear - the MaTech it came with was not my favorite. Doing immediate action drills would cause me to knock the range off the intended setting - and sometimes I didn't realize it until later. It also got knocked off in the trunk of the car too, so it had to go. Besides, it had no large aperture for dim light, or protective ears, and doesn't "lock" up. Bye Bye!

Upgraded the light to a newer Surefire G2 with the LED bulb at 200 lumens. Much nicer than the older incandescent G2 I had.

Aimpoint T1 in 2MOA. FINALLY. Been coveting one of these for years. It's as awesome as I dreamed it would be. First time I ever bought something from Larue Tactical as well. I was impressed. They have GREAT customer service, and offer a LEO discount. My MIAD was missing the grip screw. I e-mailed, they called a few hours later and a replacement was mailed the next morning, no questions asked.

ETA - Wish there were flip-caps for the T1. I miss those from my M2. Much easer to deploy than the stupid rubber deal it has now.

All loaded up with a 30 round PMAG, and it still feels light and pointable. This is probably as fancy as I will go on a patrol rifle. I had one before with rails and broomsticks, lights and cappuccino machines on it, and it was really too heavy for what I needed it to do.

As you can also see, I decided to go FDE this go around. All my black rifles before have been .... well, black. Time to live dangerously, and mix it up! The hand guard is from Cav Arms, and is the M4 double heat shield in "Coyote Brown." I was told this was the closest they had to Magpul FDE, and it IS close, but still a shade or so lighter. I don't really care, but for those that have to have matching shoes and handbags, beware. I like the feel of the M4 fat handguard, and frankly ... all the other FDe hand guards around my area are Magpul, and I wanted to be different. I just don't like that look or feel as much.

Keeping the ASP plate and MS3 sling. I kinda miss my old Vickers Sling, but its about impossible to find a .625 side sling swivel for the 6720. If anyone has one for sale or trade, please let me know!
Probably be easier to just get a magpul handguard in fde and send it to IWC to have them add their qd socket. Mine turned out awesome.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/moe-carbine-hand-guard-mag405-w-qd-micro-mount-n-slot/

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited by SCSU74; 09-09-2012 at 00:36..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:00   #380
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Cop Talk

Just thought I'd take a pic of the rifle with all paraphernalia that's next to it in the war bag.

Issued 6721 with Aimpoint C3 in Larue mount. VTAC forend, Harris bipod in AMD QD mount, Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9 in ADM mount, Leupold LRF, Triad wedge rear bag. The PC is a Shellback Banshee I got about a month ago to try out. I like it so far. Pretty decent system for patrol work from entries to perimeter. I feel like it's a good 0-400 yard gun with our duty ammo.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46   #381
CW Mock

Very cool setup!

How often do you shoot at 300-400 yards? I don't do it as often as I probably should. My usual range only goes out to a little over 100, so most of my practice is between 50 and 100.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55   #382
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Very cool setup!

How often do you shoot at 300-400 yards? I don't do it as often as I probably should. My usual range only goes out to a little over 100, so most of my practice is between 50 and 100.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I try to do a rotation out to 600+ for our snipers every 3 months. The 55gr SP won't knock over a larue at 500, so I figure that's God's way of telling me 400-450 is the limit for this setup. Plus, the wind plays hell with it out there.

I can shoot out to 500 anytime on our PD range, but don't do it that much because it's a pain to carry the steel over there. The vast majority of what I do is at 200 and in, and most of it under 100.

ETA - local FBI firearms guy keeps telling me he's going to let us borrow his robot mover target thingy so we can practice movers out past 100 (which is as far as we can shoot on our mover at our range - and it's a PITA to set up). But he has yet to show up with it even though he trains with our snipers on occasion.

Last edited by SPDSNYPR; 09-09-2012 at 11:58..
SPDSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 14:07   #383
Schaffer

Cop Talk

didn't even get to shoot it yet.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 00:16   #384
lloydchristmas
132 and Bush

We have one of these in each squad.
Attached Thumbnails
Cop Talk - Click for larger version  
lloydchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52   #385
lndshark

Quote:

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

How did you mount the G2 on the OE style hand guard? I'm still playing with lights...I have the MAGPUL mount but have yet to get the hand guards...I really don't know what to do yet, but I'm having fun buying parts
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39   #386
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
I really don't know what to do yet, but I'm having fun buying parts
That's the best part.

I just ordered up a Strike Industries grip and Cobra.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

I also added some KNS Anti walk pins I had sitting around.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54   #387
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
How did you mount the G2 on the OE style hand guard? I'm still playing with lights...I have the MAGPUL mount but have yet to get the hand guards...I really don't know what to do yet, but I'm having fun buying parts
IWC makes a mount for oem handguards.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...-mount-n-slot/

Old 10-02-2012, 15:07   #388
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Or does anybody teach trying to use the forward assist to clear a jam
Our rifle instructor just added three smacks to the FA nub at the end of clearing a jam.
Old 10-02-2012, 16:03   #389
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

ARs are like Barbies for cops . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:20   #390
bccop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
No kidding. When I go to carbine training days I'm amazed at how almost everyone has added accesories to theirs. Very few run it as issued.

I shouldn't talk however considering I'm one of worst. I also have a Redi-Mag (version 2) and Magpul BAD on order.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:25   #391
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
I thought strippers were like Barbies for cops . . . . especially the ones named Barbie.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:39   #392
CW Mock

Quote:
It's a section of Magpul rail and a Viking Tactics light mount. it works okay, the Magpul rail doesn't fit quite right - its a little too wide so it only fits a MOE rail "perfect."

But it's doing okay so far. Tightened it down tight and still holding. An IWC mount would probably be better from what I have seen of them.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:48   #393
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
IWC makes a mount for oem handguards.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...-mount-n-slot/

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45   #394
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Thanks!
No prob. They make awesome stuff. Before I switched to my vtac rail I had a bunch of stuff from them. Only problem I had was on my end, didn't loc tite flashlight mount and it came loose during a class. After loc tite no issues!

Old 10-22-2012, 15:43   #395
BlackPaladin

[IMG]Cop Talk[/IMG]
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD

Last edited by BlackPaladin; 10-22-2012 at 15:44..
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 18:24   #396
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
[IMG]Cop Talk[/IMG]
I love me a good dissipator.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-22-2012, 23:49   #397
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I hate 'em because it reminds me I live in CA and our chief won't sign leeterhead because Govenor Moonbeam wrote an opinion on his last day in office as AG saying officers have to turn in their weapons when they retire but never said anything about being compensated.
What he was saying essentially was that after your warm body retires ti does not matter if it stays warm. That is how the corporate giant works too. Pretty sad at how they think. I think rifles and pistols should go with the retiree.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 18:23   #398
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

I just wanted to post and let you all know how much I hate every last one of you. With every fiber of my being.

We aren't allowed rifles at all. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Not a ****ing thing.

They "scare and intimidate the public. Anything you get into can be handled with a handgun. If you need a rifle, then it's too late to go get one. Letting cops have rifles is dangerous for the public and dangerous for the cops". Quoted from our admin. I'm not kidding.

We have a whole bunch of extremely cranky fat old men who didn't have the equipment they wanted/needed when they were on the streets 20-30 years ago, and they make sure we don't. If anyone around our department was brave enough to ask the question again, it would cost them 2 hours of their lives they would never get back, being lectured about the "dangers of rifles for cops" and told stupid war stories that justify why rifles aren't allowed. Carrying a rifle against policy can carry a 30 day suspension or termination, if I remember correctly. What's funny is one of our admin used a "big bad black dangerous intimidating" rifle to kill a guy who was shooting at officers. It's funny how fast our armory opens and the rifles come out when admin wants them. Their lives are more important than ours. Hypocrisy is how we roll around here.

It's one of the many reasons I am a professional job applicant again. I am applying any and everywhere that pays well enough not to hurt my family financially.
Originally Posted by MTPD View Post
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:42   #399
lndshark

I've added a few more goodies...

Cop Talk

The stock flip up sight has to go. And I need an AFG. And a new trigger guard. Different grip. A light. Some kind of optic. Gotta get some groceries and pay the bills too.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:03   #400
rockapede

Quote:
I've added a few more goodies...

Cop Talk

The stock flip up sight has to go. And I need an AFG. And a new trigger guard. Different grip. A light. Some kind of optic. Gotta get some groceries and pay the bills too.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Daniel Defense fixed rear. It's stupid simple and stout.

-Edward Conlon