Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2012, 14:51   #221
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
California is becoming more and more a dictator state. Keep the peasants unarmed.
Really? A dictator state? The land of propositions? You're reaching.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07   #222
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Tagged

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 06-17-2012 at 07:10..
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14   #223
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Well, I learned a few things about me and my rifle.

First thing is I need a forward vertical grip. Always thought they were just for mall ninjas, but after going thru the class I feel I really need one..

Secondly, the irons really aren't that bad to use, but night time shooting is going to be a nightmare. Either need to invest in some Trijicons or

Thirdly, become proficient with a holo sight and then upgrade to an eotech or something. The Sightmark I have is really just crap.

Finally, I learned that a single-point sling really ain't all that. I struggled with the sling a lot. Didn't have a whole lot of time to make adjustments to it, but I'm not liking the feel of it.

I also have decided to at least upgrade some of my magazines to P-mags. Bought one yesterday.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18   #224
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
Well, I learned a few things about me and my rifle.

First thing is I need a forward vertical grip. Always thought they were just for mall ninjas, but after going thru the class I feel I really need one..

Secondly, the irons really aren't that bad to use, but night time shooting is going to be a nightmare. Either need to invest in some Trijicons or

Thirdly, become proficient with a holo sight and then upgrade to an eotech or something. The Sightmark I have is really just crap.

Finally, I learned that a single-point sling really ain't all that. I struggled with the sling a lot. Didn't have a whole lot of time to make adjustments to it, but I'm not liking the feel of it.

I also have decided to at least upgrade some of my magazines to P-mags. Bought one yesterday.
I'd point you toward Magpul for a VFG and a MS3 sling with a forward attachment point. Also consider a drop in tritium front sight point for your FSB.

Those three things will fix all that ails you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 06-18-2012, 14:43   #225
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I have no love for the VFG. Proper grip is high on the bore axis and as far out towards the muzzle as you can muster.

You may find that a properly positioned, sufficiently powered light (9 o'clock or 3 o'clock) will create enough light for the front sight to appear as a shadow (best I can describe it) over targets at most distances. Two words of caution on tritium front sight posts: 1) they are generally WIDER than a standard front sight post, which will cost you some precision and 2) go with a tritium front only, the rear sight should be close enough to your face that the tritium there will do nothing for you.

I agree completely on single point slings. They have their place, but they are more of a retention device than a stabilization device.

Old 06-18-2012, 14:48   #226
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I have no love for the VFG. Proper grip is high on the bore axis and as far out towards the muzzle as you can muster.
The problem I have is that with my short little fat T-Rex arms that even on my short rifle, I have a hard time keeping my support arm out where I can stabilize the rifle for long periods of time. After a few strings I get the wobbles and what I end up doing is gripping the mag well and that generally pulls my groups really wide.

As for the sights, I hadn't considered that the light would give me a better picture of my sights in the dark. Of course, a light isn't always ideal in certain tactical situations. I will look into a hi-viz front sight or a tritium sight.
Old 06-18-2012, 16:12   #227
pgg00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I'd point you toward Magpul for a VFG and a MS3 sling with a forward attachment point. Also consider a drop in tritium front sight point for your FSB.

Those three things will fix all that ails you.

+1. I like magpul's stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 19:26   #228
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
I learned today. I have a Pmag that doesn't work.

Brought two mags to rifle qual. We were supposed to be doing tac-loads and speed loads. One of my two magazines, every time I slammed it in, caused a double feed. Old case didn't eject and new round was slammed in to the back of it.

Drill was bang, bang, speed or tac load, bang, bang.

My experience was bang bang, reload, bang, wtf.

With problem mag in initially, the drill went bang, wtf, clearing doublefeed, still clearing double feed, cease fire.

Only other thing I learned is that it's time to get out the dummy rounds and practice malfunction drills.
Old 06-18-2012, 19:37   #229
GLOCK17DB9

Here is my patrol rifle. Still waiting for the first mission!
Attached Thumbnails
Cop Talk - Click for larger version  
Old 06-18-2012, 19:47   #230
ZoomByU

Here she is.

BCM 16" mid length
Magpul moe handguard
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul CTR stock
Aimpoint PRO
BCM gunfight charging handle
4sevens quark turbo 123^2 in IWC mount (can't really see it second pic)

Cop Talk

It's the top one, bottom is my brothers.

Cop Talk

Last edited by ZoomByU; 06-18-2012 at 19:49..
ZoomByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 00:02   #231
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Last edited by Cochese; 07-03-2012 at 00:09..
Cochese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 00:11   #232
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I moved the MBUS over to my 14.5 upper along with a Nikon P-223 in a P.E.P.R...

Now I need to save up the coin for a SF can!

Cop Talk
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17   #233
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

[quote=Kadetklapp;19102369]Well, I learned a few things about me and my rifle.

First thing is I need a forward vertical grip. Always thought they were just for mall ninjas, but after going thru the class I feel I really need one.. [quote]

I'm with you. I thought they were kind of Hollywood, until I shot an AR with one on it. I got one for mine the next day. They work for me."

Quote:
Ditto. I had the tritium insert in my front post, but nothing on the rear sight.

Quote:
Ditto again. I've had Aimpoints and Eotechs, and never got too torqued up about which one was best. They both work good and for me, I can acquire the target a lot faster than with my iron sights,

Quote:
I guess they work for some people. I was issued one, and 30 minutes later, I was still trying to figure out how the damn thing worked. I never did get the hang of it, although I made my own that worked okay. Once I got a VTAC, my prayers were answered.

Quote:
I like the P-mags, too.

Only thing to add is to get you a light. I first had a light issued in 1991, and they were pretty rare (and big) back then. I fell in love with the concept on my first warrant, being able to light up dark rooms and closets when clearing.

Last edited by series1811; 07-03-2012 at 06:19..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23   #234
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
[quote=series1811;19157470][quote=Kadetklapp;19102369]Well, I learned a few things about me and my rifle.

Quote:

I'm with you. I thought they were kind of Hollywood, until I shot an AR with one on it. I got one for mine the next day. They work for me."

Ditto. I had the tritium insert in my front post, but nothing on the rear sight.

Ditto again. I've had Aimpoints and Eotechs, and never got too torqued up about which one was best. They both work good and for me, I can acquire the target a lot faster than with my iron sights,

I guess they work for some people. I was issued one, and 30 minutes later, I was still trying to figure out how the damn thing worked. I never did get the hang of it, although I made my own that worked okay. Once I got a VTAC, my prayers were answered.

I like the P-mags, too.

Only thing to add is to get you a light. I first had a light issued in 1991, and they were pretty rare (and big) back then. I fell in love with the concept on my first warrant, being able to light up dark rooms and closets when clearing.
Agreed on all points. On my personal rifle, I have all magpul furniture, and added the magpul foregrip onto the handguards; it makes a world of difference. Also using an old Streamlight M3 light on it for now.

As to mags, I've seen all kinds of malfunctions with standard government M16 mags, usually related to a weak spring and the follower design (green follower). After dealing with all that, I now have ONLY PMAGs for my rifle; I'm not dealing with all that mess if I don't have to.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13   #235
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I do have a light. A surefire 6p in an Elzetta clamp mount.

Old 07-03-2012, 14:44   #236
lndshark

Critique my Patrol Rifle Plan, Please?

After going round and round with wanting to build a rifle, I think I'm 99% sure I'm just going to buy one. As much as I wanted the experience of building, err, assembling an AR (plus the fact that SBRs are a no-no here), I think that where ever I wind up for good might frown on a non-name brand (or as Morris calls them, "kitchen table builds") rifles.

With that, I've chosen, with the blessing of my wife (and the recent sale of my motorcycle) , to outright buy an SP6920. I'd like to do the following to get it ready for the road. Please give a or :thumbsdown: to my idea(s):

Stock SP6920

• CTR Stock
  • MOE Handguard
  • AFG
  • MS3 Sling
  • A bevvy of P-Mags
  • BAD Lever

So far, so good?

I will also need a BUIS...as of now, my head is literally spinning with the choices.

As far as light mounts: I have a spare TLR-1 LED...how should I go about mounting it at the 12 o' clock position?

In lieu of an optic of some sort (not even allowed at my current agency..."what do we need those for?" ), I'm going to invest in training. I get to qualify twice a year on our pool-issued Bushy's, and that's it. No additional shoots. About 30 rounds per year...I might be able to snag some practice ammo though, for going out on my own time...

As with our pistol policy, I'm going to lobby for personally-owned long guns. With a new admin in place, I'll test the waters to see how it's received. I'm just a newbie though...being close to a fairly large city, and surrounded by farmland and acres and acres of rural woods, I'm sick of the "that will never happen here" attitude.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.
Old 07-03-2012, 16:46   #237
imaguy3

get ranger plates on the ends of your pmags too! I love mine! They really shine when using the mag as a monopod, plus it protects the paint job on a car when on the hood ...

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG212/22

A little shopping on amazon can probably find you a better price. Last year I got a 3-pack shipped for 12 bucks...

As far as mounting the streamlight at 12oclock, if you're using the MOE handguard like you want the top isn't flat, so as far as I know you can't mount a rail section on the top.

This will get you at 1 or 11 though
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG403/46

If you could live with it on either side or the bottom though this would be the easiest/cheapest way...
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG406/103

Don't know how you feel about pressure switches, but the TLR-1 has a diff. rear plate that keeps the switch, and also allows a pressure switch to plug in. Page 2...
http://www.streamlight.com/documents...t/tlr1_sup.pdf

Last edited by imaguy3; 07-03-2012 at 16:50..
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:29   #238
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Indshark

I have that exact config except on a 6721 and in FDE.

Light mount, do a Magpul scout mount. They are like $9. And they work great!

Cop Talk

Last edited by Cochese; 07-03-2012 at 20:29..
Cochese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:33   #239
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Indshark, FWIW, that build is rock solid. Perfect kiss setup for patrol. Has everything you are considering.

MOE grip, handguard, and stock. BAD, AFG2, TLR in a scout and an MS2 sling.

I love this gun with a carry handle sight only. I have thought about putting a XPS and mag on it with a FDE MBUS but I just love its simplicity.
Old 07-03-2012, 21:03   #240
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
After going round and round with wanting to build a rifle, I think I'm 99% sure I'm just going to buy one. As much as I wanted the experience of building, err, assembling an AR (plus the fact that SBRs are a no-no here), I think that where ever I wind up for good might frown on a non-name brand (or as Morris calls them, "kitchen table builds") rifles.

With that, I've chosen, with the blessing of my wife (and the recent sale of my motorcycle) , to outright buy an SP6920. I'd like to do the following to get it ready for the road. Please give a or :thumbsdown: to my idea(s):

Stock SP6920

• CTR Stock
  • MOE Handguard
  • AFG
  • MS3 Sling
  • A bevvy of P-Mags
  • BAD Lever

So far, so good?

I will also need a BUIS...as of now, my head is literally spinning with the choices.

As far as light mounts: I have a spare TLR-1 LED...how should I go about mounting it at the 12 o' clock position?

In lieu of an optic of some sort (not even allowed at my current agency..."what do we need those for?" ), I'm going to invest in training. I get to qualify twice a year on our pool-issued Bushy's, and that's it. No additional shoots. About 30 rounds per year...I might be able to snag some practice ammo though, for going out on my own time...

As with our pistol policy, I'm going to lobby for personally-owned long guns. With a new admin in place, I'll test the waters to see how it's received. I'm just a newbie though...being close to a fairly large city, and surrounded by farmland and acres and acres of rural woods, I'm sick of the "that will never happen here" attitude.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.
I would try to hunt down one of the Magpul equipped 6920s...I think they're something like SP6920MP. I'll look later if you don't find one in the meantime. Includes the MOE handguards, a couple of PMAGs, and MBUS rear sight. Otherwise, Colt carry handles are usually worth about $75, double heat shielded Colt handguards are worth $20-$25, and the two twenty round aluminum mags that come with a standard 6920 are good to have around.