SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:41   #21
E.McCune226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camu Mahubah View Post
Yah that would irk me but I know a phone call and linking them to this thread would get you satisfaction...I just hope you have a back up while this is in the mail.

Keep us updated...

Linking this to an e-mail that I send them would probably help especially with all of the input and suggestions that I've gotten from everyone here at GT. I do have a gen4 g26 that I carry on-duty as a backup to my duty weapon (gen4 G17). I will definitely carry it off duty in place of this one when I send it in. In my opinion, It's always important to have a backup to the backup, LOL!

"...I will always serve the street and win any violent confrontation..."
E.McCune226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53   #22
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Sounds like an EXO finish issue, more than the holster.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31   #23
rsxr22

That is nuts! Im sure it will get fixed though, FZ wont want that kind of bad press out
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55   #24
hunter won

Wow that sucks...I have used my Glock 19 a few times on marine patrol in the summer months, very humid, salt water being splashed a few times with minor rust on my Trijicon night sight only.I would stick with factory Glock only.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:25   #25
fivestar

I'll have to watch this. I picked up an EXO G26 for off duty. Mine will be worn in an MTAC holster.
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18   #26
glock2740
Gun lover.

I've been CC'ing Glocks in CBST's for years and have never had an issue. I thought the Fail Zero stuff was supposed to be extremely corrosion resistant. Kinda surprised at that rust issue. Interested to see what they say and do about it.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40   #27
1-2man
Part Time

Just about everytime I pull my Glocks (23 & 27) from my MTac recently the whole inside of the slide is normally covered with moisture (making no contact with my skin so it must be condensation) and not a hint of rust. That's just crazy. I thought the EXO would be even more durable???
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53   #28
Cruiser1
Still Alive

From their website:

FailZero Limited Lifetime Warranty

The FailZero warranty covers products of UCT Arms for failure of the EXOTM surface against chipping, peelingor wear through that prevents the weapon from functioning or for failure of the part. The warranty is of unlimited duration. UCT will recoat the product free of charge including return shipping costs. This warranty does not cover customer abuse at any time. This express limited warranty is the only warranty on this product. This product is sold "as is" and has no implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face hereof.
Cruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:30   #29
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

EXO's don't come from glock, they are glocks treated by another company after initial sale. Not that the OP did, but every time I see someone talking about buying an EXO, I wonder if they know they're not buying an "EXO", they're buying a glock with an aftermarket finish. Any time you grind down and refinish, you run a risk. I think the EXO finish looks great. I certainly hope this is an isolated incident.
Old 07-07-2011, 13:55   #30
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreCalG17 View Post
Not being an butthole here by asking... other than looks, what is the purpose of the EXO finish if it makes the Glock finish less durable? I know nothing about EXO so I really am asking a serious question.
I've got Glocks w/ the standard black finish that haven't been nearly as babied as you baby yours, and none of them have done that.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:07   #31
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

That is truly awful. Definitely get it refinished, hopefully they will do the right thing and take care of you. I've never had a Tenifer finished Glock or HE finished HK pistol form rust like that, however...

I use and personally highly recommend Eezox for corrosion protection. For as much as I promote this stuff you would think I had stock in the company. I do not, it just flat out works!

Carry Issues
Old 07-07-2011, 19:52   #32
xcrewman
Desk Jockey

I've taken a spill in the Pacific Ocean, only able to clean my G27 the next day w/no rust.
Old 07-07-2011, 19:59   #33
pens-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.McCune226 View Post
The only reason why I actually bought the EXO model was b/c the sales rep at the gun store said that the EXO model was double coated and more durable than the standard model. I was under the impression that EXO finish was nickel boron coated over Glock's standard tenifer finish thus making it more durable. I guess I was wrong... can anyone else verify the validity of this belief?
I will have to try to find it again but there was a interview with one of the guys from failzero and that is exactly what he had said as well. The barrels are done and then somewhat polished. I wear my G19 EXO everyday and it shows no signs at all of any rust.
pens-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 20:49   #34
Seraph

That nickel boron coating should be unable to rust, and the Tenifer treated steel underneath should be really damned resistant. Given those two factors, it seems more likely that something else has gotten onto, or into, the finish on that pistol, and has rusted. Some kind of contaminant got in there during finishing. No doubt they'll refinish without argument.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27   #35
farscott

A couple of possibilities:

1) During the surface prep process, metals (beads or steel wool) were used, and the residue from the prep process is actually rusting. I have seen this with both metal oxide beads used to bead blast stainless guns and people using carbon steel wool to polish stainless guns. In both cases, rust resulted.

2) Steel or iron from something else has been embedded into the holster, got transferred to the slide, and is rusting.

I would try to remove the corrosion with a product like G96 or Kroil. I would probably try Kroil as it would let me know if the finish has been perforated as it would get under the finish and remove it from the slide.

If the gun needs to be refinished, I would send it to Robar for NP3. My NP3-finished G29 got caught in a thundershower while being carried in a Sparks VM-2. I was soaked to the skin, carried it the summer heat after the rain, and did not get a chance to remove the gun from the holster for about eight hours. Gun was fine and showed no evidence of the deluge.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43   #36
bushmaster4162

get some corrosion x

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.mccune226 View Post
to make things clear right off of the bat:

1.) i absolutely love my g19 exo and bought it brand new on 18 jun 11
2.) i have put approx 600 rounds through it and thoroughly clean it obsessively after each use
3.) it is my primary off-duty carry weapon that goes with me everywhere i go in my super awesome, super comfortable [url="http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/iwb/tabid/56/categoryid/1/list/0/level/1/productid/1/default.aspx?sortfield=productname,productname"]crossbreed super tuck[/url]
4.) when i pulled it out yesterday, this is what i found

It looks like rust but i have no idea how it could be possible. I'm at a loss for words and i'm not sure what i should do as far as trying to clean it w/o possibly making it worse. (i am a hoppe's #9 guy).

Anyone experience anything like this specifically on the slide of their exo version pistol? Comments, suggestion???

Thanks!

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
i also had this problem with one of my bushmaster m4a3's, i went and bought some corosion x, problem gone,forever!
bushmaster4162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 17:36   #37
texanredraider

OP, have you heard anything back about what caused this or if someone will take responsibility for fixing it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
texanredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 16:47   #38
gadsden00

update?
gadsden00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 16:54   #39
IlliniGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.McCune226 View Post
I live in Chicago and always wear a t-shirt between my body and the holster to keep it safe and dry from sweat. It's been in the upper 80's here the last few days but not humid at all. A soft toothbrush is a what I was thinking too but I'm not sure if the Hoppes would be considered too abrasive. Any suggestions on a very non-abrasive cleaner???
How do you CCW in IL, let alone Chicago?!?!?!

ETA: NVM, just saw the phrase "off duty" in the OP. Guess some are above the law.

Last edited by IlliniGlocker; 07-23-2011 at 17:00..
IlliniGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 17:00   #40
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniGlocker View Post
How do you CCW in IL, let alone Chicago?!?!?!

ETA: NVM, just saw the phrase "off duty" in the OP. Guess some are above the law.
More then likely there a police officer
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossbreed, crossbreed supertuck, exo, g19, rust