SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2011, 00:18   #1
Taykaim
NRA Member

Who carries old vs new?

My younger brother (he just turned 21 and got his CCW and so has all kinds of CCW related questions) asked me a question last night that I didn't really have a ready answer for.

The question was simple, "Why do you carry that gun?"

I got him to clarify, and the inference was, "Why do you carry that old one when you have so many other newer choices."

My EDC is a second gen G19, issued to me in 1995, Serial "SWXXX US" two pin model. It was not new then, and I've given it a hard life. With the following changes over the years from when it was issued to me till now. Extended slide release, several recoil springs over the years, one trigger spring replaced for no reason. Hogue handall, tritium sights, till they dimmed, then tritium fiber optic sights which are still bright.

That plus around 50k bullets through it and a couple encounters with dirt and gravel, plus over 15 years in various holsters has left it so holster worn that my newer glocks always look just incredibly black and shiny compared to the matte gray my slide had become. It has a number of spots worn smooth where other 2nd gen pistols are textured, shiny spots on the slide where my main EDC holster grabs it. The spot where my finger indexes just past the slide lock is worn smooth.

In short, this old gun has been through a fair bit.

Even though its appearance lacks quite a bit, it doesn't have a rail, or the new style extractor, or any super nifty trigger modifications or aftermarket internals (whoops, the current guide rod is a lightning strike, but thats it).

Is it weird that although I have other 19's, Gen 3's in excellent condition that have never let me down in training or recreational shooting, I have a 23 and a 26 and a 27 and compact and full size 1911s, an XD compact and subcompact, an S&P 40, a keltec p11 and taurus tcp (second most carried gun of mine), Sp 101, a J frame, and a few others suitable for concealed carry, I have this semi irrational attachment to this old gun. Its been through a lot with me, never failed me even once. While I dont actually believe that if I set it aside and start carrying one of the others I'll immediately get in trouble, and have my gun explode or something equally silly, I just don't want to give up old reliable.

I guess what I'm asking, is if any of you guys carry an older gun despite having newer options, or if that just makes me a weird firearm luddite or something.

Taykaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:27   #2
JuneyBooney

Tell him because you "like it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:43   #3
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Because it works?
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49   #4
Fedor

Trust.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22   #5
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Tell him that Glocks have a 250 year life expectancy.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19   #6
Toorop

I like it.
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26   #7
Cheytac

Why not?
Cheytac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32   #8
dosei

Because there is no other gun you own that you are more intimately familiar with and instinctively able to operate.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 15:34   #9
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

I carry my newest, a 27. Only because it is the most comfortable and was purposely bought for that role.
If I had an "old" pistol, that performed well, in my hands, I would not deny its carry, simply due to age.

Last edited by pizza_pablo; 07-05-2011 at 15:37..
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 15:36   #10
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
Because it works?
and you just happen to own it?
Old 07-05-2011, 15:38   #11
AngelDeville
NoHablaMexican

So I shouldn't carry my 1954 3" Detective Special?

Just got a G26 so I might carry it once in a while...

but it came with a Tupperware case so it may be too old as well....

Last edited by AngelDeville; 07-05-2011 at 15:39..
AngelDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 16:47   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I carry a Sig P239 9mm made in 1995. It looks rough from alot of holster wear, but it has significantly less than 50k rounds through it.

I hope to be carrying it still in another 15years. Only thing I have changed is recoil springs and have bought new magazines, although the original ones still work just fine.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:00   #13
HarleyGuy

I usually carry a G26 but lately I have been carrying a Kel-Tec.32 in a pocket holster mainly due to it being lighter and the weather being hotter.

However, I've been seriously switching over to my S/W 642, 5-shot stainless Airweight. I've had it since '95 or '96 and it's still NIB.
I want to take it to the range and try it out before I start carrying it, but I have NO concens at all over carrying an old "wheel gun" with only 5 bullets.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 22:57   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

A pistol from 1995 is old?
Old 07-05-2011, 23:17   #15
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

History and Trust nothing more needs to be said.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
A pistol from 1995 is old?
With all the "latest and greatest" that has hit the shelves in the last 5 years, yes it is.

Back then CCW was much more limited. You had a choice between a full size duty pistol or airweight revolver. There was not very much in between back then.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59   #17
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
With all the "latest and greatest" that has hit the shelves in the last 5 years, yes it is.

Back then CCW was much more limited. You had a choice between a full size duty pistol or airweight revolver. There was not very much in between back then.
Baby Glocks came out in 1994 (thank you Bill Clinton!). Of course virtually no one in this country could legally CC any kind of firearm.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-06-2011 at 07:00..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21   #18
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

as the saying goes "if it aint broke, why fix it"?

long term reliability is very comforting.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08   #19
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post

You had a choice between a full size duty pistol or airweight revolver. There was not very much in between back then.
Not really. Pocket pistols have been around for a long, long time. The difference is that recently they have become available in more powerful calibers.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17   #20
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Baby Glocks came out in 1994 (thank you Bill Clinton!). Of course virtually no one in this country could legally CC any kind of firearm.
By 1994, I had been legally CCing for six years. By 1994, there were 20 states that were "shall issue" states.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, old gun