Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2011, 20:40   #1
frank4570
Silver Membership

So if evolution is true, why are there still apes?

I actually saw that as somebodys sig line. Wow. That is as brilliant as suggesting the grand canyon was caused by the great flood.
I'm just kind of stunned that somebody would believe it so much that they would make it their sig line.
It's true because it's in the bible.
Dang.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 20:43   #2
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I actually saw that as somebodys sig line. Wow. That is as brilliant as suggesting the grand canyon was caused by the great flood.
I'm just kind of stunned that somebody would believe it so much that they would make it their sig line.
It's true because it's in the bible.
Dang.
Why are there still apes? Why are there not apeish humans still in the process of evolving? I wonder why...
Old 06-24-2011, 20:46   #3
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Asking, "if evolution is true, why are there still apes?" is another way of advertising, "I have an encyclopedic ignorance of evolution."
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 20:48   #4
furioso2112

HA HA! So true

we all know aliens carved out the Grand Canyon. What a bunch of morons!
Old 06-24-2011, 20:55   #5
frank4570
Silver Membership

Ok, so I guess I get stunned by ignorance, twice. Wow.
Old 06-24-2011, 20:58   #6
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
Why are there still apes? Why are there not apeish humans still in the process of evolving? I wonder why...
The Great Apes found their niche. They do just fine without hammers and beer.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 21:19   #7
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post

You have to go to some pretty ridiculous extremes to believe that. It's irrational.
Old 06-24-2011, 21:23   #8
Markasaurus

Call me master of the obvious, maybe this guy saw "Planet of the Apes" (either one) too many times. We walk upright and can speak intelligible language. The other apes (we are primates too) obviously lack those two abilities. That's why we can build a house, and they can build a nest of leaves in a tree and it's full stop.
but if i ever see one riding a horse, dressed in leather, with a carbine on his shoulder i'll have to reconsider the question.
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26   #9
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Great question! And yet, except for some 7th grade level, juvenile attempts at personally subjugating the question, no one on this thread has responded to it scientifically.

Interesting to say the least.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29   #10
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Great question! And yet, except for some 7th grade level, juvenile attempts at personally subjugating the question, no one on this thread has responded to it scientifically.

The reason no one has responded scientifically is that it is an absurd question, nothing in either the theory of evolution nor the physical process of evolution requires that organisms well adapted to their environment continue to evolve at the same pace as other life. Further, the question implies that humanity evolved from modern apes, which is also false and not something that evolutionary theory claims.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28   #11
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Apes are still subject to the same forces that drive natural selection. They are still evolving, simply because they still exist.

It's really that simple.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37   #12
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

What I have gathered from this thread so far.

Somone, indieed, many people do not believe in cross species evolution.

This offends Athiests as this tends to be a core belief in their religious views.

This contradicts the religious views of others, whom they feel are inferior.

That is what I have learned from this thread.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46   #13
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
What I have gathered from this thread so far.

Somone, indieed, many people do not believe in cross species evolution.
What exactly is cross species evolution?
Quote:
This offends Athiests as this tends to be a core belief in their religious views.
If you're talking about common descent when you say "cross species evolution", not believing in it is irrelevant, much like not believing in gravity would be irrelevant. What's offensive is when people try to prevent it being taught and studied in order to shore up their erroneous beliefs based on scriptural interpretation.
Quote:
This contradicts the religious views of others, whom they feel are inferior.
Inferior scientists? Unquestionably. Those who oppose and question evolution have been offered every possible opportunity to present their evidence against it. They have uniformly and completely failed to produce anything credible.
Quote:
That is what I have learned from this thread.
At the very least you should have learned that evolution doesn't require apes to disappear so the question in the title makes no more sense than asking, "If evolution is true, why are there still walruses?"
Old 06-25-2011, 08:32   #14
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:

It isn't a great question. It's a ridiculous question.

Apes and humans share a common ancestor. Just like a rolls royce and a Toyota 4runner. share a common ancestor.
Saying humans evolved from apes is like saying like the rolls royce evolved from the 4runner. It's ridiculous and nobody ever said it.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58   #15
SPIN2010
Searching ...

The human body seems to be getting healthier and more robust with each generation, right?
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37   #16
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

It actually isn't a great question -- in my experience people that ask this sort of ridiculous question about evolution believe that they are somehow dismantling evolution rather than demonstrating their own ignorance of the theory as I indicated above, and anybody providing an answer is likely just wasting their time.

At least since I've been actively participating on the Religious Issues forum, I don't recall a Christian asking anything like, "I'd like to learn about evolution, can somebody provide some references." I expect that I haven't seen that because they are comfortable with the "God did it" explanation, and quite possibly feel threatened by what science may have to offer.

Tilley has claimed, "I believe science leads one to God", however if this were true I would expect to find more scientific inquiry among the faithful.

In response to the question in the title, nothing about evolution suggests that an ancestral species morphs into a new species, so that the ancestor no longer exists. If this morphing occurred, we would have no diversity of species, merely one very long-evolved descendant of the original species. A species may split and one of the species become extinct, but that is not one species morphing into another.

This branching, speciation, generally occurs when populations of a species become separated and reproductively isolated -- they no longer interbreed (producing fertile offspring with a combination of the parent genes). Once the population has divided into 2 species which are not interbreeding the species maintain their differences, and can continue diverging.

Geographic isolation is a common factor leading to reproductive isolation. Glaciers and continents drift, deserts form, drought cuts a large forest into 2 forests with a joining grassland, etc.

One observance of this is the prevalence of many related "sister" species found on archipelagos such as the finches of the Galapagos. A pregnant bird crosses from 1 island to another, starts a new family which develops in isolation from her ancestor species; they become a new species and adapt to their new environment. Later one of these females, while pregnant, crosses to another of the islands and starts the process again.

If anybody here is truly interested in learning about evolution, then I can recommend...Hopefully this has not been another waste of my time.

-ArtificialGrape
Old 06-25-2011, 09:47   #17
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
The human body seems to be getting healthier and more robust with each generation, right?
Once again education is the cure to the seizure that you appear to be having.

Please explain, based on your understanding of evolution, why you would expect "human body seems to be getting healthier and more robust with each generation" to be true.

Thanks.

-ArtificialGrape

Last edited by ArtificialGrape; 06-25-2011 at 09:47..
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55   #18
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
I have a cousin the bridges the gap between apes and man. She is a good argument for evolution, one look at her and you all will believe it
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03   #19
Davegrave
Dapper Dan

If omelets come from eggs, and I had an omelet this morning....then how are there still eggs in my fridge, right now?!?!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10   #20
Davegrave
Dapper Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Once again education is the cure to the seizure that you appear to be having.

Please explain, based on your understanding of evolution, why you would expect "human body seems to be getting healthier and more robust with each generation" to be true.

Thanks.

-ArtificialGrape
Our key feature as a species is our intelligence. It's by far the one thing that differentiates us the most from all others. That is the feature that gets us farthest and the one that keeps evolving fastest. As such, the smarter we get the less we need to rely on our physical fitness. We don't need to run fast we can build cars and bikes. We don't need great strength, we build forklifts and cranes. We don't need to be thin and healthy we have insulin, and bypass surgeries. Our brains allow us to become less and less dependent on our physical skills. Someday our bodies will be irrelevant.

Behold our future.
Religious Issues