Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:28   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Problems with hot 155gr/800-X loads crushing brass.

Hey guys, has anyone ever had this happen?

About a month ago, I was working up 800-X and Hornady 155gr XTPs. I loaded a work-up up to 12.2gr (CCI 300, COAL 1.260, STOCK G29) of 800-X, and I had to stop at 12.0gr. I wasn't really seeing too bad of signs of over-pressure. I had ONE tiny Glocksmile out of ten rounds, but I had maybe 4-5 cases get caught and crushed in the slide as it was returning to battery. I assumed it was due to excessive slide speed, and the slide was coming back and catching the brass before it could eject.

Since then, I put a 23lb Wolff recoil spring in my gun, and wanted to try again. This time I was working up with 155gr Silvertips. I shot 5 of the 12.0 load, and one of them did the same thing. No Glocksmiles, and I saw less case expansion than last time, I'm guessing due to the case being supported by the barrel for a little bit longer. I'm starting to think maybe the cases are getting caught in the chamber due to expansion, or they are getting stuck in the extractor. Also, the earlier tests were with Remington nickel cases, this was a new Starline brass case.

Another weird thing: before, all the cases were crushed and stuck in the slide (between the breech face and top front part of ejection port in the slide, the part that slides over the barrel hood) causing a jam. The one that happened today apparently managed to eject. I didn't even find out it had happened until I was picking up the brass. HOW IN THE HELL could this piece get caught and crushed like that and STILL manage to eject?! Weird.

I thought the Wolff spring would have fixed it. Here are some pics, anyone seen this?

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by 21Carrier; 06-17-2011 at 01:33..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:01   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

It almost seems like the slide is returning to battery too fast and the case is still hanging on the extractor.

Things that come to mind are; debris causing sticky extractor or debris by the extractor spring. Movement could be impared causing the extractor to hold the casing longer. Have you checked to see if the ejector is damaged? May not be knocking the case off the extractor properly or fully...

Usually cases being stuck in the chamber have nasty scars on the extractor rims, as the extractor pulls free of the rim. Ejection may not occur...

Let us know what you find out!
_The_Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 13:29   #3
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Shadow, I did notice some pretty chewed up case rims. That may be the problem. Also, I'm still making due with a .45ACP shell holder on my Dillon 550B, so it can sometimes make a little nick in the rim when priming. Maybe that messed up part of the rim got caught under the extractor. I know it's not dirt or grime, as I always detail strip and clean my pistols. They are spotless. The only reason I'm not automatically saying it's related to the rims getting a tad messed up by the oversize shell holder is that it has ONLY happened with THAT load. Whatever the cause, I'm fairly certain it's due to high slide velocity and getting stuck in the extractor.
Old 06-17-2011, 14:14   #4
soundguy

A heavier spring will slow the slide down.
Since you have less fte's after the new spring, you may want to check the chamber. A very (very) light chamber polish may help. Maybe you could look closely in the chamber for roughness or minor imperfections.

Last edited by soundguy; 06-17-2011 at 14:14..
soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 14:28   #5
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
A heavier spring will slow the slide down.
Since you have less fte's after the new spring, you may want to check the chamber. A very (very) light chamber polish may help. Maybe you could look closely in the chamber for roughness or minor imperfections.
I'm already using a 23lb. spring. I'll check the chamber, and LIGHTLY polish it if necessary. I doubt there's any crap in there, since I take really good care of my guns, but you never know. It's just weird that it only happens with that one load.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:28   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I heavy recoil spring will slow the rearward slide travel down a bit... but it will also SPEED UP the return to battery.... I would try the stock spring while you troubleshoot this issue.

Also, it looks like you have an extraction / ejection issue. Maybe the high pressures of your handloads are making the case stick in the chamber a bit (from expansion during firing). This, in turn, could be creating a lot of stress on your extractor, possibly even having damaged it. Take a close look at your extractor to ensure there are no burrs or gouges taken out of it. Check to ensure your ejector isn't bent or chipped.

Hell of a firing pin smear on that primer, buddy.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 06-25-2011 at 08:56..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 13:56   #7
Burien

Get the correct shell plate, less play is better.
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 13:40   #8
delloro

I called IMR about 10 years ago to ask why they had reduced the 800x loads, and he told me that the problem was slide speed.
delloro is offline   Reply With Quote