Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-17-2012, 23:55   #1
bno762

Ccw ideas, thoughts, and stories for my wife

I'm asking for any ideas for my wife for ccw. I've been taking her shooting and have introduced her to a few different types of handguns. She is currently considering getting her chl.

She's taking her time and trying to learn as much as possible right now. We plan on getting in some decent ccw training and self defense classes.

Also, I'd really appreciate hearing from the women gun owners and we need info on carry options, gun options and choices other women have found that works for them, classes women have taken for shooting and self defense.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Sent from Bubba's LG G2X
Old 07-18-2012, 00:15   #2
4Rules

Check this out:
Falia Freedom Channel
Female Perspective on Firearms, Gear, Concealed Carry, and Preparedness
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53   #3
vafish

http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19   #4
bno762

Thanks for the links.

Vafish- that was one of the first websites I told her about....right after GT. :-)

Sent from Bubba's LG G2X
Old 07-18-2012, 07:20   #5
lno762

Yeah, I really like that website! So much info.
Thank you all, for your feedback on this matter. As for now, I have my pepper spray gun and I am not going alone to meet new prospects.
Bubba, thank you for guiding me through this process, it is very empowering. Most of all, thank you for never pushing (it took me a while to reach the level of comfort to begin shooting). I am very lucky to be Mrs. bno762
Love you!
I better go before I am banned for mushiness, but I will be following this post. I look forward to hearing from other women and it would be amazing to find another female realtor GTer.
lno762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03   #6
jph02

I hadn't heard of Cornered Cat before. I'm gonna give that link to my daughter.
jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21   #7
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lno762 View Post
...I better go before I am banned for mushiness...
No worries.

Cheers to you and nothing but 100% support.

Have a great day.
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49   #8
Stlbrian

Thanks for the link. I just forwarded it to my wife
Old 07-18-2012, 09:36   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Look for NRA women on target events:
http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

For example, my wife is an NRA pistol instructor and she hold's a couple of these events at our club. There is another woman instructor who helps out. And a some guy instructors. But having at least 2 women in charge makes sure it is well oriented toward the needs of women. Of course, participation is limited to women, too.

They get to leave their husbands/boyfriends at home, and get out on their own. Try a bunch of different guns, get instruction, talk about holsters, purse carry, and socialize with other women in a friendly environment.

To find other NRA courses (not gender specific), click the link and on the left column there are courses listed (the right column is for becoming an instructor) and search by zip code
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx/
-- might want to consider basic pistol, then personal protection inside the home, then personal protection outside the home.

Also, read some books. Here is a good overview of concealed carry

This one, specific to women, is pretty good, too.

I like this book that has true self-defense stories woven around the concealed carry information the author is discussing

I have not read this next one yet, but it is on my list to do so. Supposed to be really good

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 09:50..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05   #10
BerettaGrl

Women on Target is the way to go if it's available in your area. Even if a pistol class is not available, try any type of firearm training. The safety rules are about the same, the shooting fundamentals are pretty much the same for pistol and rifle.

I have taken a Combative Pistol course from MDTS and would suggest that you try and find a similar school in your state. It's really intense.

She'll need a .22 to start. It will help her develope good technique and habits. If she has small hands I suggest the plastic Walther .22 (can't remember the model right now). I've heard good things about them and have talked to a few happy shooters that owned them.

For CCW there are lots of possibilities. Be prepared- the evolution of a gun nut can get expensive. What features that she thinks she wants will evolve and change (ex.- I started out thinking I wanted an external safety, then a revolver, then a teeny-tiny .380, then a 1911 (prettiest gun I own), then finally the polymer black gun. Who knows what's next.)
S&W Club #637
BerettaGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

Another thing to think about, at some point, is getting into action shooting sports. I know that may seem a long way off from just learning, but it could be useful.

After having shot with her hubby for the first few times, she'll either be doing good or having some issues. Maybe she'll take some basic NRA course and get some different instruction, and maybe straighten out a few issues. Then it is about finding the right gun for her, and learning about self-defense. Maybe reading some books or taking a concealed carry course or two, along with reading lots of GT. That all good. But where is her shooting skill level at? Even after basic instruction either from hubby or someone certified, and some practise, and finding her own gun, she might want to become a better pistol shooter

That's where finding a club with some friendly people who shoot action events, such as IDPA or something similar, would be a good idea. If the club isn't friendly, or if it doesn't have women shooters, maybe keep looking.

Eventually, you might find a club where they meet once a week or once a month, and they practise shooting at targets at various distances, in a certain order, moving the shooter around a bit, and timing and scoring accuracy. Doesn't have to be the most intense thing. Hopefully something fun that introduces a little stress, and helps the shooter develop skills. Yes it will be a game, and not Navy Seal training. But it is better than not practising your shooting at all

Here is a good video to watch of a novice woman shooting the IDPA classifier. I specifically picked this one because it is realistic of a woman who is a beginner. She may have a few months to a year of target or plinking shooting experience thus far (I don't know anything about her, so I'm just guessing). And now is trying the standardized IDPA classifier course, using a Glock 19.

IDPA can have an infinite variety of different types of courses setup for fun and competition. Most matches or practise sessions happen at the local club level, and may allow non-members to try it out. The classifier, however, is a specific type of course setup, done the same and scored the same, no matter what club decides to hold one. A club might only offer a classifier a couple times a year, or maybe not at all. It is like an SAT. You can take it over again, and your highest score sort of ranks you. You don't have to shoot a classifer to shoot most IDPA club matches, but it is a good test of your skills (in my opinion).

As you can see in this video, the classifier tests you on the following skills through a 90 shot course of fire:
-- drawing and shooting on one target.
-- drawing and shooting on multiple targets.
-- shooting at a large target (body?)
-- shooting at a small target (head?)
-- drawing and shooting, and doing a mag change.
-- shooting while moving forward.
-- shooting while moving backward.
-- shooting one handed with your strong hand (right hand?)
-- shooting one handed with your weak hand (left hand?)
-- shooting from behind a barricade, leaning out to keep cover (done from each side).
-- shooting and doing a tactical mag change (keeping a round in the chamber and keeping the mag in your pocket)
-- moving to cover (a barrel) and kneeling and shooting.
-- some of these shots are up close (7 yards), and some are from distance (20 yards).

Here is the official classifier setup description, if interested:
http://www.idpa.com/classify.asp

You can find lots of youtube videos of master shooters doing the classifier in blazing speed. And lots of videos of guys who are hoping to improve their score. But few videos of a beginner woman giving it a go Hopefully more and more women will try it! And yes, you can indeed find videos of master ranked women shooting in IDPA competitions. But my focus here isn't so much on competition as the course itself and what it gives a new shooter to work on

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 12:00..
Old 07-18-2012, 18:23   #12
lno762

Wow!
All of this info is so greatly appreciated! I haven't had a chance to go into depth with much of it, yet..but knowing it is all here is so great!!
In the same block as my office there is a really nice gun shop. I usually go in to visit the owner's German Shepherd, Yeager..but today I looked at the G19. I could definately see myself comfortable with it as a cc. Also, looked at a Sig Sauer .22. I can already see myself wanting several guns. I saw the most gorgeous Sig Sauer...I have no idea the specs, but I think it was called Elite. It was stainless steel and had a beautiful wood grip. It felt sick as hell in my hand : ) It was $1100. Want it!!
I found several flyers with info on "Girls with Guns" classes & such. I never imagined being this excited...I was extremely apprehensive and hesitant to even have a gun in our home before I met Bubba. Now, I feel that much hype and misconception, probably born from Hollywood and the media skewed my prior opinions.
Very greatful for you all,
L
Old 07-18-2012, 18:43   #13
SCmasterblaster

A Glock Model 27 may fit her hand nicely.
Old 07-18-2012, 18:50   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

As far as apprehension about having a gun in the house, I wuold suggest these rules. Hope this doesn't come across as talking down to you, and they are mostly everyone's rules except for one of them I made up for myself

-- Assume all guns are always loaded. If you set it down for a second and pick it back up, assume it is loaded again. (Double check that it is actually loaded if you are carrying it for self-defense).

-- Don't point a gun at anyone, not even a quick careless sweeping of them with the muzzle at a gun store. (Self-defense use against a bad guy is the obvious exception).

-- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot, so you don't trip and fall and shoot something.

-- Know your target, and what the heck is beyond it.

-- Keep your gun locked up when it is not under your immediate control, so some little kid doesn't find it and pull the trigger and get a BOOM!

-- Triple check that the gun is unloaded before dryfiring, because it gives you a nice mental break and prevents holes in your walls

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 19:09..
Old 07-28-2012, 23:40   #15
4Rules

Prepare to CHL by Bluejay9mm

Last edited by 4Rules; 07-28-2012 at 23:41..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 23:57   #16
girlglock26

A glock 26 may be a good fit for you! I have one and love it! I have come so far since I started shooting. I am now cert as a range safety officer and want to get more women to the range. I now shoot a rifle as well. good luck with all your adventures in shooting, and make sure the gun you choose is a good fit for you and you feel comfortable with handling it.
girlglock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:10   #17
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlglock26 View Post
A glock 26 may be a good fit for you! I have one and love it! I have come so far since I started shooting. I am now cert as a range safety officer and want to get more women to the range. I now shoot a rifle as well. good luck with all your adventures in shooting, and make sure the gun you choose is a good fit for you and you feel comfortable with handling it.
I'll second the Glock 26. Light, powerful and easy to conceal.

Congratulations on the new certification!
Old 07-29-2012, 13:54   #18
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Well, I'm not a woman but I know a few that carry and some of them are newbies at CCW. A lot of them seem to like the Ruger SP101 .38/.357mag. It can handle a wide variety of different ammo and most can find something they are comfortable with and confident in. Some will eventually graduate to small or mid-size semi autos but the Rugers are a good starting point.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 22:37   #19
lno762

[QUOTE=ithaca_deerslayer;19208960]Look for NRA women on target events:
http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

For example, my wife is an NRA pistol instructor and she hold's a couple of these events at our club. There is another woman instructor who helps out. And a some guy instructors. But having at least 2 women in charge makes sure it is well oriented toward the needs of women. Of course, participation is limited to women, too.

They get to leave their husbands/boyfriends at home, and get out on their own. Try a bunch of different guns, get instruction, talk about holsters, purse carry, and socialize with other women in a friendly environment.

ithaca_deerslayer,
I went to a similar even tonight by "A Girl & A Gun" and it was great. Our facilitator is an NRA instructor & ex LEO and she was great! I was able to shoot a variety of guns, too!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:09   #20
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lno762 View Post
ithaca_deerslayer,
I went to a similar even tonight by "A Girl & A Gun" and it was great. Our facilitator is an NRA instructor & ex LEO and she was great! I was able to shoot a variety of guns, too!
Cool

What gun did you like the best?

I had a woman trying guns who liked each one more than the next. After teaching her from scratch on a .22, I did the usual transition of largest least recoil to smallest most recoil.

Went from Ruger GP100 with 38's, Beretta 92, Glock 17, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, then to a snubbie 642.

She was saying "I like the small semi-auto",then saying "Oh I like the small revolver, too."

Well, at least she knew she could shoot all those. Hopefully it helped her when she went gun shopping