Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-18-2011, 14:56   #1
Milltown

Black Boots - What kind & Where to buy them

So I'm in the process of picking out a set of black boots to wear for work, mostly in corrections on concrete floor and some patrol work. I seem to be having a hard time choosing a boot and finding a good place to buy them.

I'm looking for any suggestions you guy's may have. My Dad wears Altama Jungle boots and really likes, but I'm not sure if I want to immediately buy a pair because they work for him.

I'm looking in the $100-200 price range. I'd like them to be comfortable and able to accept my orthopedic insoles. No other real limitations besides that.
Milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 17:47   #2
old_pigpen
Huh? What?

I've had good luck with Corcorran Mach boots and Hi-Tec Magnums. Both were comfortable and took a shine. I wear orthodics myself, and I just pulled out my Corcorrans to verify that the insoles are removable. I'm not sure about the Hi-Tecs, since they are long gone.

Unless you've worn a particular boot before, i'd recommend trying them on in person with the same type of socks that you'll be wearing. Not all boots will fit the same - for example, the Corcorrans tended to be a little wider.

Last edited by old_pigpen; 06-18-2011 at 17:49..
old_pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 17:50   #3
RocPO

I've used Magnums with good results. Until recently. I bought a pair of Spider 8.0's and they lasted about 6 months. I bought another pair to replace that, figuring I got a dud pair, and that replacement pair has lasted about the same before they bit the dust.

I've switched to Bates Ultralights and have a pair of the new 5.11's on their way. I've had no problems with the Bates.
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 18:13   #4
Vigilant

Rocky Portlands resemble the classic Danner Acadias pretty closely, but cost about $100 less per pair. I have both, and for the money, I prefer the Rockys. Of course, you do get what you pay for. I have two pairs of Rocky Portlands, both of which are on their second set of soles (and yes, they can be resoled), and after five years of wear, they are still good boots. Plus, working in Corrections or Detention, you may have to pass through a metal detector. I don't know about the Danners because I have not worn them in years, but the Rocky Portlands will not set our metal detector off. This can be a huge plus in itself. ****** has good prices, and I hear their customer service is better these days. I would at least check their pricing.

Here's a photo and a sample price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-ROCKY-Portl...item7dbc9ddd33

Last edited by Vigilant; 06-18-2011 at 18:35..
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 22:11   #5
bccop

I've been hearing a lot of great things about the newer 5.11 boots. I might have to pick up a pair this year.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 22:26   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Gee... a boot thread? Hmmm... let's see.

I have worn Magnum, Rocky, Thorogood, and I can say they are all good boots. Never worn Danner or Oakley but heard good things about them too. The 5.11 boots supposedly wear out too fast.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:51   #7
Jeffbat83

I am a big fan of Corcoran 978s, it took me about two weeks to break them in. After the break in process, they are very comfortable and will last for a very long time. The boots are very easy to shine if you are in to that kind of thing, I am.
Jeffbat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48   #8
doneroman
SheepDogs-R-Us

Register your credentials with Oakley and get some Assault SIs. in 6" or 8". They're like wearing slippers. Great wear too.
doneroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36   #9
merlynusn

Don't get the 5.11 ATAC Storm boots

Worst pair of boots I've ever owned. Maybe its just my foot, but I told our uniform shop they sucked and he said that he had heard a lot of complaints. I do know people who like them and think they are fine. Just make sure you test them out pretty well before spending money on them.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02   #10
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Danner Acadias are head and shoulders above the rest. But they are heavier than the knockoffs and way heavier than the "tennis shoe" style non-resoleable boots.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42   #11
Agent6-3/8

I'm a fan of Corcoran's Field II boots. Very comfortable, excellent quality and quite affordable. JMO, but they are on par with Danner and $100 cheaper.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:53   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Bates DuraShocks sidezips. I liked them so much I bought 2 pairs. Lots of positive reviews.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...t=&style=SP675

Cop Talk

Old 06-20-2011, 20:07   #13
Milltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
****** has good prices, and I hear their customer service is better these days. I would at least check their pricing.
I'm in the process of receiving a refund from them for a pair of Altama's I attempted to order 6 weeks ago. Prices were good though.

I've been a red wing guy lately.
Milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:06   #14
collim1
Shower Time!

I am issued Danner GTX's. I don't complain because they are free and I given a new pair every 12 months, but for a few bucks more they could buy some that can be resoled.

Also, the cheaper boots do not hold a shine like boots made of better quality, stiffer leather. I can get them to polish, but they don't spit shine, the polish will start to flake off before it gets to a mirror shine.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 17:53   #15
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Very true collim. Acadias are cheaper in the long run for the department, and serve the officer far better. We had to fight to get auth to go to the doubly expensive boot, but even paying for resoling, the department saved money and the troops got a better boot.
Old 06-22-2011, 17:40   #16
taco101
Son o the hound

Original SWAT side zip. Been wearing them for years. Very comfy. about $80. Available on line. I found the best price on e-bay.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50   #17
merlynusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
Don't get the 5.11 ATAC Storm boots

Worst pair of boots I've ever owned. Maybe its just my foot, but I told our uniform shop they sucked and he said that he had heard a lot of complaints. I do know people who like them and think they are fine. Just make sure you test them out pretty well before spending money on them.
I have to say that we had a major rain storm the other day. As much as I think the 5.11 ATACs are uncomfortable, they certainly kept my feet dry when it counted. So I will give them props for having good waterproofing.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
As much as I think the 5.11 ATACs are uncomfortable, they certainly kept my feet dry when it counted. So I will give them props for having good waterproofing.
You know, this iron maiden was pretty uncomfortable with with all them spikes and stuff but the dungeon master could not smack me on the head while I was inside it. So I give the iron maiden props for having good head protection.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24   #19
Cav

I am very happy with my Rocky S2V's (black and tan). They are not waterproof is my only complaint, but I have had water proof boots fill with water and they were worst than the S2V's that drain water well. If I know we will get a lot of rain I use water proof boots.

I have tried/worn/owned a lot of boots. The Rocky S2V's are now my top boots. I have yet to buy the new Under Armour boots as they do not seem tuff to me, so I am letting other officers find out how wel they hold up.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24   #20
silverado_mick

Send a message via Yahoo to silverado_mick
I've worn 5.11 ATAC Storms for the past two years. They were acceptable in weight, I found them very comfortable, but the lifespan sucked. After about 6-8 months the soles started to split and crack, and the tread was pretty much worn off completely (not good during PA winters).

I just bought a pair of Bates Ultra-Lite 8 inch sidezips and they are pretty much the cat's ass. It's like there's nothing at all on your feet but the support and confort they provide is excellent. If the Oakley boots weren't so fugly I'd have probably gone that route and given them a shot, but they just don't look right in blues at all.

Just my $.02

Tags
altama, black, boots, corrections, duty