SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-06-2011, 14:16   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I just had an epiphany on trigger control technique

I have always hated the over-travel in my Glocks' triggers, and on my G29 I made a homemade version of the "screw-in-trigger-housing" trigger stop modification. It helped my shooting a TON, but it didn't seem to be the perfect solution as the trigger bar started catching slightly on the screw as the screw began to wear and started causing wear on the trigger bar (where the nose of the firing pin rides over it during recoil).

I decided to ditch the mod (just removed the screw) and search for a better option. Then I found Ghost's Tactical 5.0 and Rocket 3.5 connectors. Their forward facing tab is perfect for what I want.

Anyway, last night I was sitting around dry-firing my pistol, watching the front sight move (just slightly) as the trigger hit the back stop. As I was thinking to myself how badly this over-travel was affecting my shooting, I did something accidental that greatly helped things. I moved my finger to the very top of the trigger.

I realized that I have always pulled the trigger from the very bottom. This just felt natural to me. Well, I have since found that if I move my finger up to the VERY top (until my finger is pressed up against the top of the frame), not only is over-travel reduced, but the sights don't move at all. Furthermore, it forces me to move the web of my hand up even further, almost locking the pistol into my hand.

Now, this doesn't ACTUALLY reduce over-travel, but it reduces the amount of FELT over-travel, and trigger travel in general. Since your finger is closer to the pivot point of the trigger (the lower pin/trigger pin) your finger doesn't have to move as far to actuate the trigger.

Here are the benefits I've noticed:

-The entire trigger pull distance is reduced
-Trigger over-travel is reduced
-Reset distance is reduced
-Less sight pulling after the break
-Firmer grip

I have a feeling this will significantly help my shooting. I'll let y'all know. If this is nothing new, sorry, but if it's new to your shooting style, give it a try. I think you'll like it!
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:36   #2
ModGlock17

Many people run to reduce trigger pull weight when over-travel is the bigger culprit.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:47   #3
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Many people run to reduce trigger pull weight when over-travel is the bigger culprit.
I agree. Pull weight SEEMS like the problem, but if you dry-fire, and watch the sights carefully, they don't move until AFTER the trigger breaks. The problem is, most of that movement happens before the bullet leaves the barrel. It all happens really fast, so most people likely assume it is happening DURING or right before the break. When I did my over-travel mod before, it cut my groups in half. We will see how I do with this simple adjustment in trigger control, but I have a feeling it will improve my shooting.

If I am not satisfied, and who ever is, I will order the Ghost 5.0 Tactical connector. I don't want the 3.5lb Rocket, I have no problem with the pull weight. I actually wish Ghost made a 5.5lb connector with the tab for over-travel adjustment. Having NO over-travel and a reset of about a millimeter is an awesome feeling. Your trigger finger only has to move about a millimeter back and forth to fire. It's so nice. When you have no over-travel, the trigger breaks so cleanly. There's none of the "SNAP" or jerk like with a stock trigger. It feels like the trigger didn't even break, but you hear the sound. Up until this point, I've been shooting my G29 with dented up stock polymer sights. I just replaced them until I can get some night sights. I have a feeling the next range session is going to be great!

Last edited by 21Carrier; 07-06-2011 at 17:49..
Old 07-06-2011, 20:02   #4
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
When I did my over-travel mod before, it cut my groups in half.
That's what I found, too.

I have both the Rocket3.5 and Tactical5.0. The Tactical, like stock connector, has a clean and crisper break and reset. And if you'd look at the guide tab, it is perpendicular to the length of the connector.

The Rocket and all other 3.5 connectors, regardless of manufacturers, have more gradual guidetab angle which make it breaks more slowly and softly, thus the perceived 3.5#.

As a personal preference, I appreciate the crisp break a lot more, like the breaking of a glass rod rather than the gradual break and muted feel of a plastic rod.

And in golf, I like iron shafts even for woods, rather than the muted feel of graphite shafts. Same analogy.

People can try this first to see if they like it. Put a small piece of wood (I use the flat wood stick that dentists use to get you say "Aaaah", sold at craft stores or hobby store, and break it into a quarter inch piece) on double sided tape. Insert it between the trigger and the back trigger guard. Fix it to the right thickness just after trigger break.
Old 07-06-2011, 20:36   #5
GTRhino24
Blazin' 10mm x2

Quote:
I just replaced them until I can get some night sights. I have a feeling the next range session is going to be great!
I'm game! Let's go!
Old 07-06-2011, 23:12   #6
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRhino24 View Post
I'm game! Let's go!
I've been at the girlfriend's house for two days now since she just got home from the beach with her family. I'll be home in the morning. I'd really like to get the wax tubes ready, but I doubt that will happen by tomorrow afternoon. We can go tomorrow or Friday. Just let me know which works for you. I REALLY want to test this out.
Old 07-06-2011, 23:16   #7
glock20c10mm

Thank you all for your insight.

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46   #8
ModGlock17

I think the easier way to keep the front sight from moving, is to have your trigger finger move LESS.

The challenge is: use trigger finger muscle, without moving it.

The best way to do that is to limit trigger travel. Very simple.

Test that out with the piece of wood described earlier, and see if your group size would reduce. First, mine did. Second, the stock connector works very well (no need to change it). And if you don't mind the look of piece of wood, you don't have to buy any new connectors !

You may even find that the stock connector (5.5#) helps you steady front sight much better than a 3.5# connector. To tell the whole story, I swapped out the stock trigger spring (5#) with a heavier spring (6#). I tried to spring-match the whole trigger system and it seems right for me: steady as she goes.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 07-07-2011 at 10:06..
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56   #9
Fedor

Interesting reading.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41   #10
Jitterbug

I had a 3.5 Ghost Rocket in a G27 of all things, I really liked it.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:06   #11
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I think I'd like the 5.0 Tactical better. I really like the stock weight pull for a carry gun. But that over-travel stop tab is perfect. Glocks without overtravel feel so good. It doesn't even feel like the trigger breaks. It just feels like the trigger stops and the shot fires.
Old 07-07-2011, 15:37   #12
ModGlock17

Quote:
I think I'd like the 5.0 Tactical better. I really like the stock weight pull for a carry gun. But that over-travel stop tab is perfect. Glocks without overtravel feel so good. It doesn't even feel like the trigger breaks. It just feels like the trigger stops and the shot fires.
Just a note, I over filed the tab on the Tactical so it over traveled more than I wanted.

A few days later, I met Arthur (Ghost owner) at a gun show, told him my error and offered to buy a new one. He said as a matter of his policy, he would send me a new one if I send the over-filed one back to him, free of charge. That goes for everyone, just once because he would note that in your order number. I would recommend that people order directly from his Website, ghostinc.com. It's a couple of dollars more than cheaperthandirt.com but the service is worth it, if you over did it like I did.
Old 07-07-2011, 15:40   #13
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Yeah, I saw that while reading about it on their website. That's awesome. It's stuff like that that makes me a lifelong customer of a company. Like when Midway USA took back my ATS sights without question and issued me a refund the same day. Why would I want to shop anywhere else if they have it?