Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2011, 17:33   #1
KARTMAN90

tac star side saddle

I was installing the Tacstar side saddle today and came across a small problem. Anyone have a problem with this screw? Thing was a B**** to put in and the nut threaded itself on the other side, Im afraid of the screw backing out and jamming up the cycle. Anyone have a similar experience?

Last edited by KARTMAN90; 11-07-2011 at 11:58..
KARTMAN90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:10   #2
mongo356

The Tacstar I installed came with a slotted head screw.

I used blue loctite on mine & no problems yet after several slugs and some buckshot thru a 590.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:16   #3
KARTMAN90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
The Tacstar I installed came with a slotted head screw.

I used blue loctite on mine & no problems yet after several slugs and some buckshot thru a 590.
Really....hmmmm
Old 05-12-2011, 13:36   #4
sciolist

My experience with the Tacstar is that it offers more problems than solutions. I used mine for about 6 months/8 matches/a few hundred rounds. Happy to be rid of it.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:53   #5
mpow66m
NRA,GOA,SAF

Send a message via Yahoo to mpow66m
I wish somebody would make a sidesaddle/scope mount all in one.
Old 05-12-2011, 14:18   #6
New York Hunter

What shotgun do you have? I just put a Tac Star on my wife's 870 and one on my 11-87. Went right on with no issues at all.
New York Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 14:21   #7
New York Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpow66m View Post
I wish somebody would make a sidesaddle/scope mount all in one.
They do. Mesa might, can't remember. There are a few different ones. Check Midway or places like that. Try to google shotgun accessories or shotgun sidesaddles.
Old 05-12-2011, 15:19   #8
aippi

Yes, www.mesatactical.com and they make them in either 6rd or 8rd. Good thing is that if the optics fail (and they will in a fight if Mr. Murphy gets his way) you can sight under the rail and anything in that box catches buck shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:43   #9
mpow66m
NRA,GOA,SAF

AHHthnx!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 17:43   #10
Ride5C2

What Shotgun are trying this on?
Ride5C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 21:23   #11
KARTMAN90

I have a Mossberg 590A1. I like the side saddle, just that screw worries me
Old 05-12-2011, 21:40   #12
BBJones

skip tac star and just get a mesa tactical.
Old 05-12-2011, 22:59   #13
mongo356

You might try giving Tac Star a call and seeing what they say. Maybe a bad screw stud found it's way in a package or something. The nut threading itself portion doesn't sound right & I just double checked, mine does have a slotted head for a flat head screw driver. Mine went together just fine.

I know a lot of people bash them but I havn't had any problems yet.

Last edited by mongo356; 05-12-2011 at 23:09..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 23:53   #14
New York Hunter

I'm not to familiar with Mossbergs. Can't help you to much. As mongo mentioned, give Tac Star a call and see what they say.

I would have gone with the Mesa on my wife's 870 20 ga. but I didn't want to change or modify the forearm, or should I say, my wife didn't want me to change or modify the forearm. She's not sure if she likes the sidesaddle or not so we'll see once she shoots it a few times. If she wants me to take it off I will.

I didn't think the Tac Star was all that bad when I got it for my wife's 20 ga. so I figured I try one on my 11-87 12 ga. I'll see how I like it when I shoot it with it on. Both of our shotguns have Wilson Combat 2 shot mag. extensions. So each hold 6 rounds in the mag.

Last edited by New York Hunter; 05-12-2011 at 23:53..
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35   #15
mpow66m
NRA,GOA,SAF

I have a TAC STAR,works fine.Only thing if you tighten it to much the SG wont cyle properly.Its a Benelli Nova 12g.but other than that it great.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00   #16
thinkfast

My TacStar's both fit great-wouldn't have a defensive shottie without one.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32   #17
m24shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARTMAN90 View Post
I was installing the Tacstar side saddle today and came across a small problem. Anyone have a problem with this screw? Thing was a B**** to put in and the nut threaded itself on the other side, Im afraid of the screw backing out and jamming up the cycle. Anyone have a similar experience?
I've run TacStars on hard use and duty guns since the 90s with no problems. You have to install them right, which some people don't do, which leads to a lot of the complaints against them.
On the 590/500 model remove the shell carrier from the mounting plate. Degrease the screw and nut. Put the ejector screw replacement through the receiver and put a drop of thread locker on the screw. Put the mounting plate on the shotgun and fit the nut in the recess, then screw the ejector screw into the nut. Tighten it down. The nut will fit in the recess of the plate. Make sure the screw head fits flush or just below the ejector body on the inside of the shotgun. Once the screw is tightened down and the locker sets, you won't have any problems with it backing out. Then take the shell carrier and put it on the mounting plate. Use a small amount of thread locker on the carrier plate screws and screw them in tight enough to just bulge the plastic of the shell carrier plate around the screw heads. Let all the locker set properly, and you should be just fine. This is what I've done, what I've seen recommended, and I've never had any issues with screws backing out as long as this procedure is followed.
On the 500/590 you are going to have to deal with an ejector screw mounting. That's the way it is because of the design. Mossberg uses a single fire control group pin, while Remington uses two. As such, in order to have two mounting points any sidesaddle is going to need to use the ejector screw to help hold the plate on the shotgun unless you go with a saddle type mount that straddles the receiver. Vang and TacStar both use the ejector screw, I've got both, and I've never had a problem.
Pump guns aren't as sensitive to receiver flex from shell carriers, although I have heard of this from some.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 20:52   #18
KARTMAN90

Quote:
Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
I've run TacStars on hard use and duty guns since the 90s with no problems. You have to install them right, which some people don't do, which leads to a lot of the complaints against them.
On the 590/500 model remove the shell carrier from the mounting plate. Degrease the screw and nut. Put the ejector screw replacement through the receiver and put a drop of thread locker on the screw. Put the mounting plate on the shotgun and fit the nut in the recess, then screw the ejector screw into the nut. Tighten it down. The nut will fit in the recess of the plate. Make sure the screw head fits flush or just below the ejector body on the inside of the shotgun. Once the screw is tightened down and the locker sets, you won't have any problems with it backing out. Then take the shell carrier and put it on the mounting plate. Use a small amount of thread locker on the carrier plate screws and screw them in tight enough to just bulge the plastic of the shell carrier plate around the screw heads. Let all the locker set properly, and you should be just fine. This is what I've done, what I've seen recommended, and I've never had any issues with screws backing out as long as this procedure is followed.
On the 500/590 you are going to have to deal with an ejector screw mounting. That's the way it is because of the design. Mossberg uses a single fire control group pin, while Remington uses two. As such, in order to have two mounting points any sidesaddle is going to need to use the ejector screw to help hold the plate on the shotgun unless you go with a saddle type mount that straddles the receiver. Vang and TacStar both use the ejector screw, I've got both, and I've never had a problem.
Pump guns aren't as sensitive to receiver flex from shell carriers, although I have heard of this from some.
Well thats what I did and the screw and nut threaded itself. Been thinking bout going to Lowes and trying to find an exact screw that has a slot for a screw driver and throwing it in
Old 05-18-2011, 21:01   #19
m24shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARTMAN90 View Post
Well thats what I did and the screw and nut threaded itself. Been thinking bout going to Lowes and trying to find an exact screw that has a slot for a screw driver and throwing it in
I've done that. A lot easier and one of the benefits of the Vang unit.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 17:48   #20
glockmaniac

That's a shame, can't say I've ever had a problem with the last 5 Tac-stars of used over the years.I don't know who makes it, but somewhere,maybe in a magazine ad I saw a sidesaddle advertised made from one piece of anodized aircraft aluminum and had the design where you could see the serial number, I wouldn't mind trying one of those.Anybody here have one?
glockmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote