SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13   #101
vkscott
Retired USAF

Range Trip # 2 - 3/1/2012

Took a couple coworkers to the range yesterday after work. One was breaking in his Ruger LC9, the other was shooting my wife's Kimber Ultra CDP and our Sig P226. I am happy to report that my G30SF spit out another 180 rounds for me with no issues. My skinny friend wanted to shoot it late in the day. The first 19 of 20 rounds he fired, no issue. His last round failed to RTB, but he wasn't handling the recoil that well. I cleared the weapon and looked at the round, nothing out of the ordinary. I then preceded to feed it another 20 rounds with no issues. So I am chalking this single "issue" up to a weak wrist.

Very happy camper!!
vkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 16:52   #102
x0225095

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0225095 View Post
Got new recoil spring from GLOCK. Problem has abated but still there. I got 5 FTRTB today in 100 rounds.
Well, after one more call to the service agents in Smyrna and Glock sent me a mailing label. I shipped the pistol and wrote them a nice letter explaining the problem and the process I went through to verify and outline the FTRTB issue. In my case, I requested a replacement pistol of a different model.

Ta-Daaaa!

Today, a shiny new Glock 19 Gen 3 arrived at my doorstep!

Thank you Glock. In my experience, their service was Glock Perfection even if the G30sf wasn't.
x0225095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 18:00   #103
Torontogunguy

Took my G30SF to the range the other day and ran 200 rounds of all types through it; I NEED to know that it is not going to cause me grief. Not a single issue in 200 rounds.

Took it back to the range again and ran about 100+ rounds through it. Same deal.

It has the -1- bar on it.

I would be comfy carrying it... but am looking for a G36 now.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 18:16   #104
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkscott View Post
Range Trip # 2 - 3/1/2012

Took a couple coworkers to the range yesterday after work. One was breaking in his Ruger LC9, the other was shooting my wife's Kimber Ultra CDP and our Sig P226. I am happy to report that my G30SF spit out another 180 rounds for me with no issues. My skinny friend wanted to shoot it late in the day. The first 19 of 20 rounds he fired, no issue. His last round failed to RTB, but he wasn't handling the recoil that well. I cleared the weapon and looked at the round, nothing out of the ordinary. I then preceded to feed it another 20 rounds with no issues. So I am chalking this single "issue" up to a weak wrist.

Very happy camper!!
I consider that a failure.

A defensive firearm needs to work...period. If you ever have to use it with your life on the line you may not have a great grip, or be in a position to 'handle the recoil' properly, and that might happen.

I know the feel. I got talked into a 30SF by the apologists. It sucked, and it jammed all the time, even after I sent it back to Glock. I exchanged it for a 21SF and have been happy.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 19:30   #105
JGonyea13

I bought my 30sf new in March of 2010 it has the 4256-1- trigger bar. Put well over 1000 rounds through it not one problem.
JGonyea13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 19:37   #106
ThinkMud

I have the "-1" trigger bar NNNXXX model number 30sf and it's been flawless too. Sucks you had to go through all this.

at least you got a new gun, but why a 19? did you have a choice?

-Semper Fi
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 21:45   #107
x0225095

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkMud View Post
I have the "-1" trigger bar NNNXXX model number 30sf and it's been flawless too. Sucks you had to go through all this.

at least you got a new gun, but why a 19? did you have a choice?
I asked for the g19 (1st) or a g17 (2nd)...Despite my love for the g21sf, I felt snakebit with .45 acp subcompact glocks.

Yes, I had the -1- trigger bar, etc...sadly, while mine was very accurate, I just did not share your reliability experience. Customer service never told me what was wrong with the g30sf I sent in...they just made me whole in the manner I desired.

Last edited by x0225095; 03-29-2012 at 21:47..
x0225095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 21:56   #108
scosgt

I just bought a new April 2009 G30sf from a dealer. They tried to sell me a "newer" one, but this one has the nice finish on the slide with the shine - same as my G36.
Took it to the range. First two mags, loaded with Wally World Winchester white box JHP, the NINTH round in each mag FTF - NOT the fail to go into battery thing, I already addressed that with the Dremel tool, but like in the picture above, the slide was open about 1" and I could see the round was not captured fully on the extractor.
I then did 100 rounds of Remington Value Pack 230gr JHP (Wally World), flawless. Then two boxes of Federal FMJ, some Fiocci FMJ, all flawless. I had one further 9th round FTF, I think it was either WWB or Federal HST (or questionable origin - the gun did not like this round at all but I got it from someone and it could have been cycled a bunch of times or whatever).
All the while I switched between the G30 slide and the G36 upper. With the G36 upper mounted the gun was absolutely flawless.
SO I think the failures with either mag related or maybe the ammo. I have read that the WallyWorld WBB is a very light load.
My gun has the -1 trigger bar and newer recoil spring. NFG serial.
One of the two factory mags seems to be a problem - it only takes 10 rounds once in a while, and when fully loaded it "bulges" like the old time NML mags - it is tough to insert into the grip.
As far as cycling the slide with a 10 rounder in place, I polished that ridge in the slide that rides over the carts and picks up the next round. Made it much easier to cycle with a 10 round mag slapped in. Do not take any metal off, just polish.

I went to the local WallyWorld and scored 3 value packs of 100 rounds Rem 230gr JHP for $42 each. Back to the range next week to verify that the gun works perfectly with this ammo. That would make me happy!

Anyway, what's up with the 9th round failure? I have read of a couple of other people having the same issue.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 19:05   #109
mstaffo

I have a G30 also (for 3 years now), not an SF (and a G23, 19, 17, 21). No problems whatsoever. I always upgrade my guide rod/recoil springs with the tungsten part available at Glock Store. In the case of the G30, I ugraded to the Tungsten Competition Recoil Spring w/ Dual Spring. They always function perfectly, and perform a bit better IMHO.
mstaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 19:11   #110
lyodbraun

My G30SF works Great with all sorts of Ammo... Love it ... one of the best Glocks I own...
lyodbraun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:18   #111
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 21SF I had Glock give me in replacement for my bum 30SF continues to work flawlessly.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-21-2012 at 14:18..
Old 05-21-2012, 18:54   #112
TFLWYO

I got a Glock 30SF made last year then logged onto this forum and read about all the problems. Before I fired it I also bought a KKM barrel with the intention of shooting a lot of lead. I had major issues on the front end with SWCs and JHP handloads in both barrels. (These would fire with no trouble in other .45s.) Basically, I tried too many variables too soon. The springs were very tight, including the recoil spring assembly and the magazine springs. Nine round magazines still won't fit nine, but ten round magazines now accept ten with relative ease.

Notwithstanding my early experience with handloads, it has never malfunctioned with hundreds of 230 gr. Blazer and factory 230 gr. Gold Dots. I can hold the gun with two fingers and a bent elbow and fire it, and it cycles perfectly with those loads in the factory barrel (never tried the KKM that way).

As the magazine springs and recoil springs got worked a bit, including running a few Buffalo Bore +P 255 hard cast through both barrels (with no issues), everything became smooth and reliable with the previously problematic handloads. Yesterday, I put on the KKM barrel (the more finicky barrel of the two) and fired light and heavy loaded SWCs and JHPs that previously wouldn't function reliably, and everything was great except for the lightly loaded JHPs. Some of the cases on those were barely ejecting, some were ejecting out of the left side, and one fed only about half way and stopped on the ramp. That was the only stoppage, and I can't hold that issue against the gun. So, while I can't say it has never failed, it has never failed on the important stuff and I now know the floor below which I can't go on the power level of handloads.
TFLWYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 21:01   #113
Blackshirts

The test fire date on the G30SF I got about 2 weeks ago is 03/15/12, about a month and a half prior. The sales guy said he never heard anything about new trigger bars when I told him I wanted to make sure it had the -1-. I have only been able to get out once and put 50 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ through it. They were flawless though. And with the Glock mag loader the mags fit the 10th round easily.
Blackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 14:32   #114
bk1951

what does FTRTB/FTF stand for,im new to all this. TY.......
bk1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 17:23   #115
luisbet1032

fail to return to battery and fail to feed issue.
luisbet1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 17:35   #116
bcj128

If it hasn't been said, check the cruciform on your trigger bar. Number on it should be 4256-1-

General Glocking

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
bcj128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 19:47   #117
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
The test fire date on the G30SF I got about 2 weeks ago is 03/15/12, about a month and a half prior. The sales guy said he never heard anything about new trigger bars when I told him I wanted to make sure it had the -1-. I have only been able to get out once and put 50 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ through it. They were flawless though. And with the Glock mag loader the mags fit the 10th round easily.
FTRTB = failure to return to battery.

FTF = either failure to fire or failure to feed

FTE = either failure to extract or failure to extract

Old 10-07-2012, 15:46   #118
captaintrips

Hey guys. I have a 29sf with a test fire date of July 2012. I have had the same issue that the 30sf has had. Fifty rounds today with 4 FTRTB that caused 4 FTF.....

When I first got the 29sf I noticed that it had FTRTB when manually racking the slide. I called Glock and the guy said if it happens while firing he would send me a new RSA.

Does anyone think that will help? Should I insist they do more when I call them in the morning?

My trigger bar # is "-1" not "-1-", should the 29sf have the extra "-" ??

thanks
captaintrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:12   #119
PrecisionRifleman

I had FTRB problems with a G30SF, and after 1000k rounds the slide developed a hair line crack in front of the locking block. I bought a G23 Gen 4 as a replacement for ccw, and Glock replaced my 30SF with a 20SF. I wish that the 30SF wouldn't had problems because other than that it was sweet pistol. Now I just need to sort out the gen 4 G23's BTF issue.

BTW my G30SF had the "-1-" trigger bar with I bought it new.

G20SF
Gen4 G23

Last edited by PrecisionRifleman; 10-07-2012 at 20:18..
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:26   #120
Torontogunguy

First and foremost I own and carry Glocks for one reason and one reason only. When I pull the trigger they go bang every time. It is as simple as that.

If my Glock 30SF or my incoming Glock 36 are going to have a problem I want to know about it! I believe from the bottom of my heart that Glock needs to step up to the plate and make a corporate statement about this issue or non-issue and they need to do it now.

I have a number of other handguns that are wonderful for concealed carry including HK, Sig and Kimber. For the most part they all go bang when I pull the trigger and they each have added features over and above the Glock which include a higher level of ND and AD safety due to thumb safety, grip safety, etc. They are more accurate and so on. Lots of reasons to sit and compare them to my carry Glocks excepting that Glocks ALWAYS goes bang and never jam. Simple as that.

If the case is that my Glock 30 SF and/or GLock 36 or any other Glocks are having issues and Glock is simply burying their heads in the sand and ignoring the issue or non-issue, Glock has lost me and 99% of the rest of the LEO communities, etc., and justifiably so.

So, c'mon Glock. Enough BS! Step up to the plate and issue a definitive statement based on quality empirical data. A corporate statement that you are standing behind your firearms.

Before someone finds out the hard way and gets killed in a confrontation. And BTW, that being the case, and having read all of these threads, IMHO those at the top should be held liable to the max in both criminal and civil proceedings. Glock should be erased from the market for such callous, uncaring and unthinking action (or non-action).

Enough of this suspense. I carry Glock for the peace of mind that it affords me and while I have never had my Glock 30 fail me, I have yet to fire enough ammo through my new Glock 30SF (with the -1- gizmo) nor on my inbound G36. As such, I put myself in harm's way with the sniggling feeling in the back of my mind that "I wonder if this tool is going to fail me at the most inopportune time" and cost me my life and my family their breadwinner.

Stand up and be counted Glock! It is time.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:58   #121
ETNSHOOTER

Well, I just got a brand new G30sf yesterday. TGG*** Date in the box said 6-12-12.
I read this tread AFTER I laid this gun away. It has worried me to death. LOL. So, I get the 30sf home today and take it apart. Slide rails are way lower in the rear than the front. About .025 lower. The trigger bar is the -1 NOT the -1- and it didn't really want to RTB just racking the slide with no mag inserted. I thought "I've just gave $600 for a POS!!!!" BUT, I cleaned it ,lubed it like the manual recommends and took it out and put 100 rounds through it. Ran Like a champ, just like my 26. It even seemed to "smooth up" so to speak just after 100 rounds and manually racking the slide RTB with ease. I know what that is anyway. It's where the slide closes up to the crook in the trigger bar and rubs on it because there is a spot there where it is hitting just like others have posted . Even tho the gun ran 100% in its first 100 rounds I feel that this gun (unlike my 26) needs a break in period. I know I'll get a bunch of eyes rolling on here for saying this but I've always felt like the 9mm size Glocks were slightly better than the big Glocks anyway. Lets face it ,the Glock pistol design" IS" a 9mm and the 45 and 10mm is a scaled up design of that .
Even the mags are ,too me , are an issue. I had a friend that had a G21 and you could never load the mags to capacity. If you loaded the chamber and put a 13 round full mag in it it would be pressing on the slide so hard it would jam EVERY TIME!!!! Making it a 1 round gun. Plus , it was so hard to get 13 loaded it wasn't worth fooling with it, so you just load down 1 round and all that problem goes way. Heck, even Hicok45 has stated many times that he loads for the 45 glocks "1 round down" .

Anyway , I'm happy so far with my 30sf. Tickled like a boy with a new toy actually. Might be too early to tell but I love it so far. There can be problems with all products. I've bought some defective guns before, Ruger p90 when they first came out. jamomatic let me tell ya!! I know how it is to drop hard earned money on somthing that doesn't work. Just hope everyone gets there issues worked out with these guns or gets a good deal trading them off. Anyway, good luck everybody.
ETNSHOOTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12   #122
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintrips View Post
My trigger bar # is "-1" not "-1-", should the 29sf have the extra "-" ??
Last I heard "-1-" is the most up-to-date for the G29,G30, SF, and Gen4 versions of both. I've heard that there's a "-2" now but I haven't seen one and Glock doesn't release a parts list that includes "armorer only" parts to the public anymore.