SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:03   #1
Steeler58

More Gun Weight & Bigger Bullet

Mas

Would you have an opinion one way or the other on the S&W 10mm 1006 or 1076 still being a viable weapon for home defense with 200 grain JHP? Lets say the person does go train weekly at their club for sight and trigger control. I do not own one of these but was thinking about it. I imagine most of us have G-17,22,20 and so on. Thanks for any opinion you may have on the matter. My liited understanding is that some FBI agents did not want to turn their 1076 back in--this is the one with the de-cock on the side of the pistol as you well know.

Jim
Steeler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The third-gen S&Ws were good guns in every caliber. I always thought the 10mm Auto had tremendous potential as a self-defense cartridge, if loaded right. Unfortunately, the early loads for it didn't open up well at full velocity, and the gun earned a rep in LE as having been over-hyped. Had early shootings involved, say, 165 grain JHPs at 1300 foot-seconds, the outcome might have been different.

I don't know of any 200 grain load for the 10mm that has any sort of track record, except for the original Norma hotload with jacketed truncated cone: went from one end of a big boar out the other, way too penetrative for street defense use.

Winchester's 175 grain Silvertip full power load has a respectable track record, if a short one due to the 10mm's lack of popularity, and the Golden Saber 180 grain loaded to similar velocity seems very promising in gelatin tests. The 135 grain JHP at 1400-1450 fps was very highly thought of by the late Chuck Karwan, and by Ted Nugent, who found it devastating on man-size game animals.

I certainly wouldn't go over 180 grains in a self-defense 10mm load, and if I was going to use a 180 grain subsonic I'd go with .40 S&W chambering instead: essentially the same ballistics, with more ergonomic grip frames and higher round count, not to mention cheaper ammo more readily available in wider choices.

Finally, though I liked my Gen 3 S&W 10mms, they've been out of production for some time. Before purchasing one's first 10mm, I'd strongly urge checking out the current Glock 20 and/or 29, particularly in the SF format. They seem to be the most rugged of 10mm pistols.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote