Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2011, 14:06   #1
Crisis

Self defense .40 ammo

Hey there Mas, I am wondering do you have any recommendations for a not so expensive Jhp in .40 S&W, I have been looking for federal hst, but can't find them around here. I bought some hydra-shok's today but the only thing the shop had was 135gr I'd much prefer 165's. Ive been trying to stay away from golden sabers due to the jacket separation that sometimes occur. Any insight is much appreciated
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:47   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Crisis, tell me more about jacket separations in Golden Saber .40. I haven't run across that. Tulsa PD, for one, seems to have had a very good record with 165 grain Golden Saber .40 in actual shootings, according to folks from there I've asked.

In the lower priced stuff, there are none of the truly "economy" lines that are in the top tier for .40 S&W defense loads. In "standard" as opposed to "premium" loads (read: "medium price") the Winchester Silvertip .40 (155 grain JHP at a nominal 1200 foot-seconds) has performed superbly in shootings I've run across. Amazing and consistent expansion, optimum penetration depth, and very rapid cessation of hostilities. Turns out to be extremely accurate for the caliber, to boot.

Should you run across them, other medium price loads that have established excellent track records in .40 include the "standard line" Remington Express 155 grain JHP and the Federal Classic 155 grain JHP, both also running in the 1200 foot second velocity range.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:14   #3
Crisis

As far as jacket separation, its nothing scientific or street reported just some poking around on the net I've done the jacket separation has been a common denominator with the golden sabers, granted "don't believe everything you read" comes into play but its a seed of doubt that has me second guessing when I'm buying ammo. I love the silver tip track record but I can't find them locally, guess I'll have to break down and buy online. Thanks very much for your input, very much appreciated as always
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.40, bullets, jhp, self defense ammo