GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18   #26
heliguy

No, I drop to G27 with Clipdraw for summer carry. I"m in cargo shorts with no belt (string tie waist) and this carry is not problem with a T shirt....
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51   #27
Poor Knight

Summer carry

I live in Houston and although I wear suits and business attire to work , which makes concealment relatively easy, after hours and weekends it's shorts and T shirts. I also had a G19 for primary carry. This is what worked:
1. Kramer concealment undershirt - has a sewn-in pocket onder the armpit. Overshirt needs to be loose-fitting.
2. Cargo shorts with pocket hollster. This works but the G19 is a little heavy for this. Need to balance with the offside carrying everything else - cell phone, wallet, spare mags, change.
3. Smart carry - this works the best for concealment and ease of carry. Shorts need to be a little baggy.
4. Fanny pack - when all else fails.

In the end, the G19 was just to big and heavy and I switched to a G26. For pocket carry I went with a S&W J frame Airweight in.32 H&R mag - the Glocks are just a little blocky and heavy for pocket carry.

Last edited by Poor Knight; 06-01-2011 at 06:00.. Reason: Typos
Poor Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38   #28
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would suggest, like others have, the CBST. If the butt is printing you can adjust more cant into the holster (I do this with my G23) and do a lot of testing to determine the best carry position. I find with a larger gun like the G19 even a 1/2" out of position will mean the difference between concealed and printing pretty badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
A Glock 26 would make things easier from the get-go. Or better yet a PM9!
I have agree with the PM9 statement. The gun is so easy to conceal. It is the only gun I have been able to conceal with just a tank top and shorts.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24   #29
thr_wedge

EDC is a Glock 17. Central Texas, it's hot.

wilderness instructor belt and a NANO IWB holster.

Cargo shorts a t-shirt or a camp shirt. I am a big fan of camp shirts because they are loose, keep the sun off me and let a breeze in.
thr_wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46   #30
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Concealing a 19/23/32 under no more than shorts and a t-shirt is easy, even with OWB holsters. All you need is a proper gunbelt, glock sport or other quality holster, and a normally sized t-shirt designed for outer wear. Many dislike the feel of the gun and holster against sweaty skin, and wear a tight fitting under armour heat gear or other t-shirt under the outer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
Hey guys- I have a G19 that is my primary carry weapon. I live in a very hot and humid climate and spend many months out of the year in shorts and tee shirts... imagine your standard beach community fare. I hear people say that you need to dress around your gun, but when it is 95 there is only so much clothing and layers you can put on before you are just miserable (then you draw attention to yourself because you look so out of place!). Not a big fan of oversized clothing- jerseys, hawaiian shirts, etc. I have been having a heck of a time concealing the G19 with just a tee shirt. Has anyone had any success with this?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28   #31
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
I have no problem concealing a G23 with just cargo shorts and a regular fitting tee-shirt. I'm carrying in an MTAC at 3:30.
Same here-Mtac any shorts with beltloops,wilderness belt and a non gangsta t shirt.
It gets plenty hot here also.
I at 3:45 with a bit extra cant.
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:24   #32
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

I sport a G19 with CT laserguard and a crossbreed IWB holster,where it everywhere except work(fireman)
Old 06-01-2011, 19:44   #33
GaleForce

As people have been saying shorts and a t-shirt really don't cut it for a G19. If your heart is set on carrying a Glock then you can always get a G26 but it's pretty thick like the G19 so it will probably print just as badly. I live in Florida and we're already up to 90 degree days. Since I just started collecting/shooting last year after the summer I realized as it got hot, and since I want to get a CCW permit soon, that my G19 won't cut it for a CCW (and I wouldn't trust my life with my P22 plinker). I just bought a pocket carry gun yesterday, a Kel-Tec P3AT, and I love it. I put 50 rounds through it before I bought it and it was great. They say you need to break it in with about 100-200 rounds but I only had one FTF in the first 50 which isn't bad at all. People say it's the pocket 380 by which all others are judged/compared, in the same way Glocks are the standard for a lot of other comparisons, so take a look at it (that's not to say other pocket 380s are bad; I almost got a LCP and I really like some of the others). You can easily find one brand new for under $300 which makes it very affordable. I paid about $200 for mine, brand new, if you factor in the value of the rifle I traded for it but I have a gun store owner friend who is willing to do things at cost for me. Still I would have had no problem paying an extra 50 or so for this thing. Anyway I know this isn't what you asked but I'd really like to see how it could be possible to carry a G19 in the summer, in shorts and a t-shirt, without being very uncomfortable, having it print, having it expose itself often, etc. I know some people wear cargo shorts and such but still it seems like a tight fit and if you're wearing beach clothing and a light t-shirt, or at least want the option to be able to wear light clothing, I don't see it happening. Yeah you can dress for it in the summer with baggy clothing but I really wouldn't want my entire wardrobe to have to revolve around a firearm, and a single one at that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and in trying to figure out how to tackle the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfructosecornsyrp View Post
If someone would go ahead and make that LCP chamber a 9mm or even a 357 sig, thatd be great...
Isn't that what the LC9 is? Or did I misunderstand you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
... but sometimes we end up doing things that are not our first choice so that we can successfully fulfill the mission.
Love how you phrased that; you can apply that to pretty much anything in life worth doing.

Last edited by GaleForce; 06-01-2011 at 20:01..
GaleForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 19:59   #34
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

Been carrying over 20 years,It has become like a watch or a wallet to me and something that I am aware of and adapt to in order to carry what I feel is an adequate level of protection,Once you get yer license and actually start to carry and become conscious of how you dress and handle yourself ,you will find ways to keep any gun concealed,carrying sometimes is not always comfortable but it is always comforting.
Old 06-01-2011, 20:05   #35
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

forgot to mention that I have a Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace that slides right into the pocket if its a shirt off day fishing' or driving the boat.....

Last edited by FiremanJim; 06-01-2011 at 20:06..
FiremanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 21:15   #36
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I strap on an IWB Kydex at 2 Oclock, then pull on shorts and Tee shirt.

Try it that way. You will be amazed.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36   #37
thr_wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
Anyway I know this isn't what you asked but I'd really like to see how it could be possible to carry a G19 in the summer, in shorts and a t-shirt, without being very uncomfortable, having it print, having it expose itself often, etc.
I snipped out the question from your post. Not sure if rhetorical or not, but here is my answer.

As I already posted, I carry a Glock 17 every day. I live in Central Texas. It is hot. We're already having August weather in May. The 100F days have already hit.

On Memorial Day, the average temp was 88, and the actual high was 96. I am 5'10, 175lbs. wear a 42 coat and have a 32 waist. My dress was the following. Cargo shorts, a normal sized Miller High life t-shirt with an athletic cut, a fisherman hat, sandals. Wilderness 5 stitch belt, Blade-Tech NANO at 3:30 and a G17. Spare mag in left cargo pocket. Went to the park, went to some BBQ, went out shopping to some pretty busy places. No issues.

Maybe if someone was staring at me for 20 minutes they would determine there was a 17 under my t-shirt?

True story: My friend was really trying to sell me on a j-frame, how concealable it is, how he carries it everyday. Then he started going on about how I have a Full size, don't carry, etc. So I lifted my t-shirt, and his eyes went wide. He didn't think it was possible.

Yes, it can be done. It requires a good belt, and a good holster.
thr_wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30   #38
ixer

Whitehat Maxtuck @ 3:00-3:30, G19...but i generally wear jeans and a t-shirt (untucked). I have been having issues with printing on some of my shirts and the G19 gets a bit heavy (part of this might be my belt as its not made for a gun) and i have to adjust my waist line quite a bit. I'm going to switch to the wilderness type belt, but have been thinking about going to a PF9 as a daily carry (thinner, shorter, and lighter). I'm also a "big" guy, if it matters... 5' 10" 290#'s
ixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38   #39
dayid

No "cover garment" no "oversized clothes" or anything else. Same clothes I'd wear everyday whether there's a gun on my hip or not. G19 daily in Florida weather in an MTAC. Works with jeans, dress clothes, shorts, just about anything short of a swimsuit @ the beach. Brother-in-law does the same daily with a 17. Not sure what's so hard about it :/

Last edited by dayid; 06-02-2011 at 08:39..
dayid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58   #40
natchezz

IMO, a huge part of the ability to carry a G19 size gun concealed in miserably hot weather is your build. I envy the guys with broad shoulders and skinny waists that allow a t-shirt to drape loosely at the belt line. For me, I have to go with a button up shirt that doesn't want to cling at all and a thinner pistol.
natchezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48   #41
Wooderson76

replace it with a 26!!!IWB
Wooderson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 23:23   #42
tedwhite

My solution to carrying a G19 in summer is simple: I don't. I carry a Kahr CM 9mm (about the same size as a PM9) in a Masters OWB at 4 O'clock. I live in Southeastern Arizona and so humidity is rarely a problem so I can wear a T-shirt under an untucked short-sleeved button-front shirt. Buttoned or unbuttoned, the CM9 simply disappears. If something's going on I'll switch to the G19 with a Masters OWB made for Glocks. Again, it almost disappears as well as the Kahr, especially if the shirt is unbottoned. I don't wear shorts as tramping around in the desert amongst thornscrub and Mesquite and rattlesnakes is not an option. In late Fall and Winter and early Spring carrying a G19 is a piece of cake. Same Masters holster at 4 O'clock and a vest or a jacket or a sport coat or a fatigue jacket, doesn't matter. No one ever guesses I'm carrying. I'm an Arizona Ranger and the G19 is also my duty weapon as the minimum barrel length is 4 inches, and the G19 barrel is 4.02. I tried carrying a G17 concealed in summer but the extra barrel and grip length do create printing problems. Perhaps if I were 6'4" and weighed 240 it would work, but I'm 5'9" and weigh 150. Doesn't work.

You might consider the Kahr CM9. Take a look. Shoots to a tie with my G26. And it's a single stack. Slimness always enhances concealability.

Bottom line: The G19 - and others have said this better than I ever will - is simply the best all-around Glock. I have no idea why my semi-annual qualification scores with the G19 are equal to -and sometime better than - my scores with the G17.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:54   #43
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palouse View Post
Carry Issues

Yup, it amounts to a murse if you put a strap on it and throw it over your shoulder. Other than open carry, going to a smaller gun or dressing around your 19, not sure what else to recommend. Here's a link.
Looks great!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09   #44
OD Green Glock 19

I really don't get how people have so much trouble with concealing a G19. CBST and a decent gun belt. It's really that simple. All I wear during the summer is a T-shirt(regular, not oversized) and shorts. It's never been an issue.
Gun Control Defined:The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.lCZ75P-01lHKUSPc&TLR-3lH&KMP5SD.22l WaltherPPKlHK416Pistol&TLR-2l
OD Green Glock 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37   #45
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD Green Glock 19 View Post
I really don't get how people have so much trouble with concealing a G19. CBST and a decent gun belt. It's really that simple. All I wear during the summer is a T-shirt(regular, not oversized) and shorts. It's never been an issue.
Same here, I wear the same size clothing as I would wear if not carrying a gun, with the exception of shorts, I buy those one size big so i can carry IWB if I want to. I much prefer OWB but there are times when IWB carry is more suitable for the environment I'll be in that day.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 14:12   #46
up1911fan

Make sure your holster has enough cant built in. I live shirt's from Woolrich Elite, Eotac an Blackhawk.
up1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 15:17   #47
highfructosecornsyrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce View Post
Isn't that what the LC9 is? Or did I misunderstand you?
No sir. Take a look at the LC9, it is considerably larger. the reason I carry the LCP is for pocket carry. The LC9 won't do for that.

I am tossing the Kahr CM9 idea around in my head. I'm going to try it out at the gun store next time I go. Other than it, the only other micro 9's that might be pocketable are the Rohrbaugh R9 and the Diamondback DB9.

R9 is over a grand so it's out. The DB9 doesn't have a good reputation...the kahr is bigger than both of those. I'm going to see if it is pocketable...would be easier to reload all 9mm instead of 9mm and 380...
highfructosecornsyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 16:25   #48
glock192012

Belly Band holsters can work well for some... Iv had a tough time finding mine to be comfortable but works with almost wardrobe. And when in doubt a LCP is back up
glock192012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 19:37   #49
billkny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
A Glock 26 would make things easier from the get-go. Or better yet a PM9!

Carry Issues
I struggled with the same question and finally bought a PM9, I like it. here goes another "wish Glock would make a single stack 9" . On the bright side jacket weather is near so the G36 is coming out.
billkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 18:29   #50
twopipe20

My kids think it looks kinda goofy, but in hot weather I carry my G19 in an Uncle Mike's GunRunner fanny pack. There's also room in it for my phone, spare mag and several "doggie bags" (my walking companion is usually our chocolate lab). Never have gotten a second look from anyone. Cooler weather - Uncle Mike's Sidekick under a Cabela's safari vest or jacket.
twopipe20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, concealed, glock 19, summer