Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09   #1
Old Junes

G19-- Summer Carry Tips

Hey guys- I have a G19 that is my primary carry weapon. I live in a very hot and humid climate and spend many months out of the year in shorts and tee shirts... imagine your standard beach community fare. I hear people say that you need to dress around your gun, but when it is 95 there is only so much clothing and layers you can put on before you are just miserable (then you draw attention to yourself because you look so out of place!). Not a big fan of oversized clothing- jerseys, hawaiian shirts, etc. I have been having a heck of a time concealing the G19 with just a tee shirt. Has anyone had any success with this?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13   #2
Dexter

I use a super tuck style IWB with cargo shorts and a t shirt 1 size over my normal size (XL instead of L) with my 23.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16   #3
Palouse
Lifetime Membership
The Resistance

Carry Issues

Yup, it amounts to a murse if you put a strap on it and throw it over your shoulder. Other than open carry, going to a smaller gun or dressing around your 19, not sure what else to recommend. Here's a link.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:18   #4
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I use a super tuck style IWB with cargo shorts and a t shirt 1 size over my normal size (XL instead of L) with my 23.
Never seen someone with a holster like that... so this may be a dumb question, but you have to untuck your shirt before you can access your weapon, correct?

I appreciate the tip... just hate having to buy clothes that are larger than what I would normally wear.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22   #5
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palouse View Post
Carry Issues

Yup, it amounts to a murse if you put a strap on it and throw it over your shoulder. Other than open carry, going to a smaller gun or dressing around your 19, not sure what else to recommend. Here's a link.
Very interesting... I think I could pull that off!

As to open carry, I have done it before but my wife doesn't like that idea at all. She won't go out with me if I am doing it (feel free to run with that... there are some good jokes there). You know what they say, if the wife ain't happy...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22   #6
Dexter

I usually wear my shirt untucked but I have worn it with a polo shirt tucked in and with that you just pull up on your shirt with your off hand
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25   #7
Dexter

they have some good videos of it on youtube listed under supertuck
Old 05-31-2011, 12:36   #8
highfructosecornsyrp

clip draw and a cominolli safety carried between 4 and 6 depending on attire. I can carry my G19 (and did for a while) in anything but a wife beater or Underarmour. I don't wear baggy clothes at all and I had no real issues carrying this way, even in basketball shorts and a cut off tee shirt. In short, the only "dressing around" a firearm is that I could not wear a wife beater or underarmour unless I have my LCP in my pocket.

That said, I bought an LCP and carry that in my front pocket of basketball shorts or back pocket of shorts/jeans. It's just that much more convenient...and it's better than a sharp stick in a defensive situation...plus I know itll be easier to get to if I need it than pulling my shirt up, getting a grip on the butt...if only a bit easier and a bit more convenient, it's how I do it.

If someone would go ahead and make that LCP chamber a 9mm or even a 357 sig, thatd be great...

Last edited by highfructosecornsyrp; 05-31-2011 at 12:39..
highfructosecornsyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:40   #9
Orive 8

My EDC gun is also a Glock 19 (well about 95% of the time that is).

For most people that want to carry a Glock 19 size gun or larger as their EDC gun, even during those hot summer months (as I type this it is 90 outside - so it's getting there). The best option seems to be, a good IWB holster (lots of good ones available nowadays), a good gun belt (again lots of good ones available nowadays) and a good cover garment.

The best type of cover garment that I have found over the last 25 years of EDC is a size larger square cut bottom, button front shirt (if it has patterns, lines, and of a darker color it usually conceals a little better) over a tank top (some forego the tank top, some don't). It can be of the "Hawaiian style" or a camping shirt, mechanics shirt, or some other type - again lots of options around.

Carrying a mid - large size defensive handgun everyday sometimes takes compromises. I hear what you're saying about not wanting to buy more clothes, but sometimes we end up doing things that are not our first choice so that we can successfully fulfill the mission.

Ire regardless, good luck with your search.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49   #10
Long Tom Coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
Hey guys- I have a G19 that is my primary carry weapon. I live in a very hot and humid climate and spend many months out of the year in shorts and tee shirts... imagine your standard beach community fare. I hear people say that you need to dress around your gun, but when it is 95 there is only so much clothing and layers you can put on before you are just miserable (then you draw attention to yourself because you look so out of place!). Not a big fan of oversized clothing- jerseys, hawaiian shirts, etc. I have been having a heck of a time concealing the G19 with just a tee shirt. Has anyone had any success with this?

You can't have your cake and eat it too, champ. There are plenty of concealment options out there but when it comes to shedding clothing, all of them require some form of compromise.

I live in St. Louis, and through late June to late August, it is ridiculously hot and disgustingly humid. We have no large bodies of water, mountains, or other geographic zones capable of moderating the temperature to any meaningful degree so we freakin fry during the summer months. Everyone tells me that being in the midwest, the humidity and heat can't be that bad, but I have spent summers in Phoenix, Austin, New Orleans and the Tampa Bay area and I would sure as hell rather be in any of those places than in St. Louis during the last half of summer. I remember back in 2007 in August we had a series of massive summer storms. Our local energy provider (Ameren) totally dropped the ball on preparation and recovery and half a million people were out of power for over a week of 100 degree + weather. Hundreds died from heat stroke.

Back on subject!

My normal wear during the summer months is a pair of cargo shorts/messenger pants (current favorites are from Dickie's and Cabelas), a pair of tennis, my wilderness instructor belt, and an OWB thumb break scabbard from DeSantis. I wear an undershirt (a T Shirt or an A Shirt) tucked in, and an a loose cotton shortsleeve button up. Although I have the physique for it, I don't feel the need to wear tight shirts to show off my pecs. Do you want to look like you are on roids, or do you want to stay safe and conceal effectively? Here, during summer, shorts and light shirts are the rule.

My button up shirts are usually light colored plaids or solid colors. The plaids are good because the pattern helps break up the outline of the gun. If you want to wear less, invest in a smaller pistol.

A clip draw would also be an option as previously mentioned. If you don't want to drop the dime that installation of a Cominolli requires, you can always get something less invasive like a Saf-T-Blok or something similar. You could also look at getting a dale fricke appendix carry holster ( would recommend an archangel). I can wear one of those appendix IWB under an undershirt and nobody notices anything.

Last edited by Long Tom Coffin; 05-31-2011 at 12:50..
Long Tom Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52   #11
ebarry

Smart Carry Holster

Look into Smart Carry holsters....
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfW0bBgnSFw[/url]

... Just takes some time to get used to.
ebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 13:38   #12
cowboy1964

A Glock 26 would make things easier from the get-go. Or better yet a PM9!

Carry Issues

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-31-2011 at 13:42..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 13:43   #13
border bandit32

Get a Kahr PM9.....problem solved....
Old 05-31-2011, 13:51   #14
collim1
Shower Time!

I like to carry a full size gun OWB. But honestly in the summer it is near impossible.

Have you considered a jframe OWB? I carry mine in summer in a Don Hume OWB with a Beltman 1.5" belt.

A P226 is not gonna disappear under a tshirt and khaki shorts, and I hate IWB carry. I have had two comp-tac holsters, but I never got used to IWB. I also dont trust the retention or ability to re-secure using a IWB.

My jframe disappears under a light t shirt. Not my first choice for SD carry, but it beats nothing.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 13:54   #15
Rick O'Shay

Ruger LC 9 would solve the issue.

I carry an LCP in summer. Practically year round here.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 14:52   #16
Captains1911

I have no problem concealing a G23 with just cargo shorts and a regular fitting tee-shirt. I'm carrying in an MTAC at 3:30.
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 15:06   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
I have no problem concealing a G23 with just cargo shorts and a regular fitting tee-shirt. I'm carrying in an MTAC at 3:30.
Yep,.....it's worked for me in Miami!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 15:13   #18
carloglock19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
Same here but just a little later around 4:00 on my belt. I carried all day at the Strawberry Festival with a white T on. I passed about 20 LEOs on foot and on bikes with no problems.
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 15:17   #19
billyblooshoes

im only 5'9" and 150lbs and i carry a 19 in an MTAC year round. you're going to have a heavy piece of metal and polymer on your hip whichever method you chose, so just get used to it.
Old 05-31-2011, 15:32   #20
CyberGlock

Sig P228 in a MTAC at 3:30 position. Very comfortable and unnoticeable in a shirt and tie at work.
CyberGlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, concealed, glock 19, summer