SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:46   #1
GLOCKTOMETRY

Custom Rails on my G26 for Weapon Light

Hey all,

First time poster here. Thought I'd kick things off by sharing my custom G26 mod.

I've always wanted a compact weapon light on my G26. Now with today's tech I have not only a 100 lumen tac-light, but a built-in green laser as well!

Sights, Optics and Lasers

I can't understand why Glock hasn't included an integrated rail on their G26 and G27 models. I thought for sure they would have at least included this feature on their Gen 4 models, but Glock FAIL. (strange seeing those two words together. It's quite the rare occurrence.)

Anyways, I've had a mind to do this mod for years. I've looked into all of the sub compact weapon lights. Started off by looking at the X2, but I wasn't too impressed with it's weak 40 lumen output. (Thought I've read that you can upgrade to an 80 lumen LED at an extra cost.) I also didn't like how much it stuck out past the barrel. I set out to find something smaller and brighter.

I looked at the TLR-3 (90 lumen output), but it appeared to have the same problem as the X2, it stuck out way past the barrel. I also came across S&W's Micro 90 which has a 90 lumen output as well and has similar dimensions as the TLR-3 and X2. Again, same problem sticking out past the barrel, but I thought maybe I could modify it to shorten the LED bezel, so I bought one. Picked it up for about $75 at Midway.com

I love the controls on it. Very easily accessible and it's super bright, but upon closer inspection of it's design I came to the conclusion that I just wouldn't be able to mod it the way I had hoped. So the search continued.

Finally I settled on the Viridian C5L. I wasn't really even looking for a laser, but I think they have their applications and the C5L allows for multiple modes of operation including just the light, or just the laser, or both. It also has a few strobing options which seems like it might be effective in disorienting the target and also saves battery life. Bonus!

Its much more expensive than the previous options with a price tag of around $275-$300, but so far I'm very happy with my purchase! This green laser is extremely bright! I had no problems seeing it at 25yds on an overcast day and it held zero just fine. I've read that some people have had trouble with it keeping zero, but I think Viridian has since worked out those kinks. (I'll report back once I get some more field use out of it at further distances and on a bright sunny day.)

So, to mod my glock to accept the C5L I started by measuring the height and depth of the rails I would need to cut and masked them off with electrical tape. The C5L comes with 3 sets of plastic mounting brackets to fit just about any pistol on the market. I wish these were aluminum instead of plastic. Probably my only complaint with their product. I chose the brackets I thought would work best for the new rail that needed to be cut into the G26. I knew I would need to cut a groove underneath and there isn't much room between the tip of the gun and the serial # plate underneath the frame. I kept this in mind when selecting the mounting brackets I was going to use.

Initial cuts done w/a dremel tool and emery cutting wheel.

Underside of frame masked off.
GLOCKTOMETRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05   #2
GLOCKTOMETRY

After finishing with x-acto knife and sand paper. I'll probably refine this a bit more.

More to come!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:07   #3
GLOCKTOMETRY

The finished product with C5L installed!

I took her out the other day to check durability, functionality and reliability.

I put about 25rnds of FMJ through it with no problems whatsoever. Next time I go out I'll run some defense rnds and some p+ to see how it handles. Overall I'm super happy with my purchase and mod. I think I'll get more use out of the torch than I will the laser, but it's good to know its there in case I need it. Now I just need to make a kydex holster for it.

Here's some more Glock pr0n:

Anyways, thanks for checking out my mod guys. Feedback appreciated!

I look forward to being an active member of the Glock community.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:19   #4
Vance665

That's awesome. Thanks for posting this.
Vance665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25   #5
Bowtie
NRA MEMBER

Great Job!

If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
You'll Always Get What You've Always Got.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:35   #6
Hunng

You made that look almost factory, very nice!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43   #7
SalfromCal

Great job! but... there must be a reason why Glock hasn't included an integrated rail on their G26 and G27 models You need to try it with rapid fire and more than 25rd to see if the light stays in place.

Last edited by SalfromCal; 05-18-2011 at 09:45..
SalfromCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49   #8
GRT45
Transform & Win

Hello GLOCKTOMETRY, welcome to Glock Talk.

That is some mighty fine craftsmanship and a courageous project to attempt. It's an excellent application for the tiny, highly functional Viridian C5L.

Please keep us informed on how it holds up with use and how well it holds zero over time. Great job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-18-2011 at 14:31..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:58   #9
-gunut-

How much light does that little thing put out? Can you take a pic? What is the battery life like?

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
-gunut- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59   #10
macsimizer26

Awesome job, i would def like to have that on my g27 but wouldnt trust myself with doing that good a job, looks awesome tho
macsimizer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:00   #11
mattyd123

Awesome job man....I've been thinking about doing this for so long but I wasnt sure if it was possible
mattyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:03   #12
whmaxwell

Very nicely done! I didn't know if they were going to include a rail on the gen4s?
whmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04   #13
tango44

Well done mate, congrats, enjoy!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04   #14
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
How much light does that little thing put out? Can you take a pic? What is the battery life like?
The Viridian C5L tac light is rated at 100 lumens which is surprisingly good for such a small unit.

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06   #15
tango44

What batts does it takes????

Last edited by tango44; 05-18-2011 at 10:09..
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14   #16
GRT45
Transform & Win

The C5L uses a single CR2 three-volt lithium battery. Battery life is one hour with the light and laser, or four hours with just the laser.

Here is a link to a review from Handguns Aug/Sep 2010 if you want to learn more:

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/re...00900-WD-2.pdf

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,

Last edited by GRT45; 04-08-2012 at 09:23..
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19   #17
SevenSixtyTwo

That is too cool! No loss of strength at the front of the frame? I too wonder why Glock doesn't incorporate what you've done as factory.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:25   #18
GLOCKTOMETRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalfromCal View Post
Great job! but... there must be a reason why Glock hasn't included an integrated rail on their G26 and G27 models You need to try it with rapid fire and more than 25rd to see if the light stays in place.
Oh, I intend to do much further testing as I stated before and I'll be sure to report back my findings.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29   #19
GLOCKTOMETRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
GRT45 is correct. This is a 100 lumen torch.

Here are a couple pics:

C5L TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
BEAM INTENSITY/WAVELENGTH: 5mW peak, 532nm, Class IIIa, Continuous Wave

LASER BEAM DIVERGENCE/SPOT SIZE/RANGE: 1.2 mrad, approx. 0.5" diameter at 50 feet, Up to 200 yards daylight, 2 miles at night

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHT/CONSTRUCTION: 1.900"L x 1.460"H x 1.310"W, 2.344 oz. (including battery), Primarily 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum, front and rear covers in high strength Zytel polymer

USER ADJUSTABLE: Full windage and elevation on laser

POWER SOURCE/BATTERY LIFE: One CR2 3V lithium (included); 4+ hours laser (constant), 7+ hours (pulsing), 1+ hour (tac light and laser)

INSTALLATION: Slides onto tactical rail and locks into place by means of included Mounting Screw.

ACTIVATION AND MODES: Ambidextrous with SMARTLASER Technology, constant beam and multiple pulsing modes

INCLUDED WITH VIRIDIAN GREEN LASER: CR2 Battery, 3 Unique Rail Sets, 1 Rail Set Pin Removal Tool, 2 Adjustment Wrenches, 2 Mounting Screws, Operator's Manual, Demo DVD
Old 05-18-2011, 10:34   #20
Flipz

Great Job! Looks almost factory.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c5l, g26, glock, rails, viridian