Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:34   #41
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
And if the bad guy doesn't run away?
Whatcha gonna do now Willis?
If the bad guy continues the life threatening act, then he goes down, you don't pull it if you aren't prepared to use it. But if the act of drawing it causes him to stop whatever threatening behavior he was exhibiting, then great.
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:35   #42
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I'm not going to be the guy who draws his gun and waves it around.

I might draw it quietly and keep it hidden if it looks like I might need it momentarily, but as a general rule I'm not going to draw it unless I intend to use it, though circumstances can change quickly and it might become unnecessary to shoot.

Regards,
Happyguy
My point exactly
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 13:10   #43
NecoDude

In my CCW class we were instructed that IF we decide to draw and cover, we loudly tell the BG to cease his behavior that caused you to draw (think "Demolition Man"). That way if you do put them down, witnesses can attest that you drew as last resort and gave them opportunity to withdraw. So in this scenario if you draw and de-escalate, there wouldn't be any charges filed against you. That's how it was explained to me, hope I never have to prove the theory.
Old 05-19-2011, 15:56   #44
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

You draw with the intent and justification to stop an immediate threat of death or grave bodily harm.
Period.
Old 05-21-2011, 14:44   #45
FireForged
Millenium #3936

It is not my intention to ever pull a gun for the purpose of showing it (waving it around) or pointing it (for effect). If I pull a firearm it will be for the purpose of firing it. If while I am in the "process" of drawing it and firing, the badguy desides to stop what they doing- I will gladly rehoslter.
Old 05-24-2011, 21:08   #46
CoyoteDrifter

Sometimes you don't need to draw to diffuse a situation. One time I was in a convience store with my wife. She went over to use the ATM in the store. While she was standing there a scumbag came in, circled around an isle and started walking toward her. I knew by the way he was walking (fast) and looking around that he wasn't shopping. I stepped in between them, placed my hand on my gun (IWB holster) under my shirt and looked him straight in the eye. By the look on his face he immediately knew what it meant. He abruptly turned around, scoffed something off a shelf, and zipped out the door. This wasn't a life threatening situation so I wasn't justified in pulling the gun, but I effectively changed the outcome without "brandishing".

Last edited by CoyoteDrifter; 05-24-2011 at 21:11..
CoyoteDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11   #47
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
You pull your gun without the justification for using it.
The guy you pull it on isn't intimidated.
Now what are you going to do?
Give the other guy legal justification for using deadly force against you.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14   #48
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Unless, perhaps, you happen to be a PPD officer?
Do you really want to go down that road again??
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17   #49
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
Do you really want to go down that road again??
Na, the pavement has been beaten off of this road so much that it would take all of Barry's infrastructure stimulus money to even make it walkable.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 05-25-2011 at 10:17..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26   #50
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
1. Beware of "as a general rule" statements.
2. Beware of summaries of the law. Look at the law itself.
3. Beware of shackling yourself to a scenario based on what you think would happen.
4. Overthinking a situation can be as dangerous as underpreparation.
5. Increase your skill and personal awareness, and act in each situation according to its individual facts, and the rules.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53   #51
SCmasterblaster

I do not anticipate EVER bringing out my G17 and NOT shooting. The lethal threat to me will be displayed, and I shall draw and shoot the displayer immediately and repeatedly until he goes down hard.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 05-25-2011 at 10:53..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04   #52
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
Check with your state, they should have laws about how to handle this situation. In any event, I believe very few states allow you to "show" your weapon to "diffuse" the situation. That's what OC is for.
Kansas allows you to brandish your weapon to diffuse a situation if you feel that your life or anothers is under threat of death or bodily injury.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24   #53
Old Junes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteDrifter View Post
Sometimes you don't need to draw to diffuse a situation. One time I was in a convience store with my wife. She went over to use the ATM in the store. While she was standing there a scumbag came in, circled around an isle and started walking toward her. I knew by the way he was walking (fast) and looking around that he wasn't shopping. I stepped in between them, placed my hand on my gun (IWB holster) under my shirt and looked him straight in the eye. By the look on his face he immediately knew what it meant. He abruptly turned around, scoffed something off a shelf, and zipped out the door. This wasn't a life threatening situation so I wasn't justified in pulling the gun, but I effectively changed the outcome without "brandishing".
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about when I asked the question in my original post.

At the end of the day, having a CCW does not make you a cowboy and prudence is king. I get all of that. Thank you all for your thoughts. I am enjoying the discussion... feel free to keep it going!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37   #54
talon

Or.... the "scumbag" was an undercover LEO who needed to use the ATM and when he saw you "go for your gun" ducked behind cover and opened fire at you. Store video clearly shows you grabbing your gun under your shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteDrifter View Post
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 20:43   #55
CoyoteDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Junes View Post
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about when I asked the question in my original post.

At the end of the day, having a CCW does not make you a cowboy and prudence is king. I get all of that. Thank you all for your thoughts. I am enjoying the discussion... feel free to keep it going!
Good discussion. Glad to join in. One other point that I didn't make quite clear is that the potential problem was avoided because I was aware of what was going on in time to give it a couple of seconds of thought, make a judgement, and react. That awareness helped give me time to send him the "message" before the situation got way too close for comfort. Your gun is a relatively a small part of what keeps you safe.
CoyoteDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccw, crime, deadly force, gun