Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2011, 17:35   #1
High Altitude

Lee progressives

You guys ever get the urge to buy a lee progressive because you know, in your hands, these presses will work fine after you dial them in

One day I am going to get a Lee Pro 1000 to see what all the talk is about. After watching all the videos on the Lee Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster, the designs actually look pretty good from a budget/value stand point.

Must be the tinkerer in me.

Last edited by High Altitude; 04-26-2011 at 17:37..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 17:40   #2
phred119

I've got a Load Master. I've hit a few snags along the way, but nothing the I think is beyond the normall learning curve for any new machine.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 18:24   #3
dudel

Do you want to tinker? Go with a Lee.

Do you want to reload? Go with a Dillon or a Hornady.

Choice is yours. There's a reason the Lee's are cheap.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 18:26   #4
unclebob

It all depends on how much you shoot. If you only shoot 50, 100 rds. A week and not into competition, It might work and work fine. Or do you want a press that you know will work, when you load and shot 400 to 500 rds. a week just about every week, and shoot competition?
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-26-2011, 19:19   #5
SFCSMITH(RET)

Shoot IDPA almost every other weekend, plates and scenarios in the back yard 1-2 evenings a week with some buddies..

No problems. My loadmaster has at least 75k rounds through it since I got it in '97, replaced 1 $4 part so far.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 19:27   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

I have two Lee presses - single stage & Pro 1000. I like both. The Pro 1000 works fine for me. I don't care for the primer feed system, so I hand prime the cases. But I simply set up the 3 stages with - flare/charge, seat the bullet, then crimp in the final stage. It's worked well.

I'd like to get a Dillon as well. Just have other priorities and the Lee works just fine for me. Eventually I'd like to have a press that eliminates the additional hand ops that I have now.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 21:40   #7
fredj338

I'ld rather waste my money on a HiPoint.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 22:54   #8
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I have the Loadmaster as well, just got it a couple weeks ago off of a friend of mine who had two of them and wanted to set me up with one of his since he didn't need 2 anymore. I think the bad reviews with these come from people who don't take the time to properly set it up correctly as there are a lot of actions happening though every stroke of the handle. It was a little finicky at the very beginning because it was all new to me as I have just started reloading. But I stuck with it, learned about all aspects of the press and how to make it work properly, dialed mine in at every point, and now it truly works like a champ.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28   #9
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
Shoot IDPA almost every other weekend, plates and scenarios in the back yard 1-2 evenings a week with some buddies..

No problems. My loadmaster has at least 75k rounds through it since I got it in '97, replaced 1 $4 part so far.
So lets say you have loaded 100,000 with your Lee press. You have been loading on it for 14 years. That is 7142 rounds a year. Or 137 rounds a week.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57   #10
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
So lets say you have loaded 100,000 with your Lee press. You have been loading on it for 14 years. That is 7142 rounds a year. Or 137 rounds a week.
You don't get full credit for that answer unless you show your work.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14   #11
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:

Or a very quick 100,000 rounds on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42   #12
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Must be short tournaments..
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54   #13
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
I don't understand your point.. if you have one. Do you mean to imply 137 rounds a week is to many?? or to few??

I didn't know I would need to show my reloading logs or brass pile..

Though not exactly my numbers, but for a couple years since I bought it I didn't load at all, because I was "busy".. But of "my" ammo that I shoot, (I still get to shoot some .gov ammo) I shoot in excess of 200 rounds a week pretty easy. Not hard when you have a range of your own, live 20 minutes from Ft Knox's ranges and within an hour and a half of several IDPA clubs and Knob Creek, and mostly hang out with other like minded ex combat arms people and retirees..

EDIT : OH wait I get it now. You mean to say that since I am only shooting 2-300 rounds a week, if I upped my shooting to your 5-600 rounds a week my cheap LEE which has functioned nearly perfectly for more than a decade will just melt down.

I totally understand.. See if I drive my Mustang anywhere near the distance my wife drives her Mercedes, I will never get there and the car will melt down because it only cost half as much. No way it it could be a perfectly exceptable vehicle.. carrying people from a-z with nary a hickup since I bought it.

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 04-27-2011 at 12:09..
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58   #14
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
You don't get full credit for that answer unless you show your work.
Sorry but I will not amputate my fingers and toes, To show my work.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58   #15
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Must be short tournaments..
I don't know what "tournaments" you refer to?

A typical IDPA match around here is 35-50 rounds. I don't load any rifle rounds, but also don't shoot a whole lot of them. Maybe 15% of my shooting is rifle and shotgun.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08   #16
steve1340

I bought a used Loadmaster 2 weeks ago, after spending countless hours on youtube trying to fiqure out the priming system (with no success), i decided to sell it on ebay. Last week I got my Dillion 550B, in 2 hours I had the loader all set up and 150 rounds loaded. It is truly a pleasure to use! Dillion all the way.
steve1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 13:03   #17
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
EDIT : OH wait I get it now. You mean to say that since I am only shooting 2-300 rounds a week, if I upped my shooting to your 5-600 rounds a week my cheap LEE which has functioned nearly perfectly for more than a decade will just melt down.

I totally understand.. See if I drive my Mustang anywhere near the distance my wife drives her Mercedes, I will never get there and the car will melt down because it only cost half as much. No way it it could be a perfectly exceptable vehicle.. carrying people from a-z with nary a hickup since I bought it.
Hmm..No, I don't think you understand what he was saying.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 13:07   #18
unclebob

Quote:
I don't understand your point.. if you have one. Do you mean to imply 137 rounds a week is to many?? or to few??

I didn't know I would need to show my reloading logs or brass pile..

Though not exactly my numbers, but for a couple years since I bought it I didn't load at all, because I was "busy".. But of "my" ammo that I shoot, (I still get to shoot some .gov ammo) I shoot in excess of 200 rounds a week pretty easy. Not hard when you have a range of your own, live 20 minutes from Ft Knox's ranges and within an hour and a half of several IDPA clubs and Knob Creek, and mostly hang out with other like minded ex combat arms people and retirees..
Didnít mean for you to get defensive. But yes 200 rds. a week is a low number to some of us. The point is if you do not shoot a lot and shoot competition a Lee press might suit your needs just fine. If you like to tinker with the press to get it to work right, that is fine also. Some of us like a press to run out of the box without tinkering, and we shoot 400+ rounds a week. Even though I belong to 3 shooting clubs. I guess one does not count since that is skeet range. The closet one is 7 miles away but very restrictive. The one that I can shoot steel on, and donít have set range targets is 47 miles away. So when I go and that was just about every week. It was at least 400 + rds. Just to make the trip worthwhile.
Some people can get the LM to work and have very good luck with it and are very happy. Others cannot. There are, I think very few people that load 15,000 to 40,000 or more a year that use any type of Lee press.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-27-2011, 16:03   #19
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Some people can run Loadmasters, some people cannot. Fortunately, I can and have for several years. I've gone through a total of four primer sliders over a period of approximately 40k. It takes setting dies properly more than anything and even though I only load 45 ACP on it now, it's nice to pump out 50 rounds in about three minutes without using a case feeder and do it as trouble free as anyone with any other brand of press.

Last edited by Uncle Don; 04-27-2011 at 16:03..
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 18:09   #20
PsychoKnight

I think there are exactly 3 people in this world who have great success pumping out 25k rounds/yr on a Lee progressive.

Uncle Don is one of them, and I admire him for that. I have no idea who the other two would be.

I had about 29k across two years before giving up on the LM. I learned a lot from that machine. All of it useless. Its like becoming the best sushi maker in the world when you, all your friends and family all hate sushi, and you have nothing to do with the food service business, or sushi in general.

I don't want to become an expert at figuring out a press. I want to reload w/ convenience and efficiency. The more reloading and less figuring, the better.

I really think the LM is an evolving creature. Everytime you figure out a problem, it evolves to provide you with another challenge. They may be few and far between, or many and frequent, but it will never end. Never.

Shellplate rotational acceleration was a real kick. This is transferable technology. I'd rather push a handle to startup a small gas engine than to pull a rope. I better not say rope, or Richard L. will integrate steel cables and pulleys with the LoadMaster II - add just the right amount of moly grease here . . . and blow a puff of air right there as you fling the . . .

Look, as a teenager I bought a unicycle after reading that blind people can ride them while juggling balls. It didn't work for me or my friends. But Bruce Lee (during his drug-free moments) would have been proud of our nunchuck moves . . To each his own machine - its your own time and sanity. We just want everyone to be happy and not be a Red/Blue/Darkred/Green/Orange/GunMetal Hater.

Becoming Master of the LoadMaster is like working your way up the 5 story pagoda in The Game of Death
(Add your own sound effects at this point: first, close the door and take off your shirt)
Reloading

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-28-2011 at 00:22..
PsychoKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 18:31   #21
Colorado4Wheel

Wow, 29K rounds. That is impressive. I gave up WAY before that. I am sure I was just 100rds away from utter bliss but I could not longer crawl so I had to give up.
Old 04-27-2011, 20:12   #22
dbarry

This thread is almost as much fun as the GAP vs ACP ballistics. Popcorn anyone?
dbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 23:38   #23
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1340 View Post
I bought a used Loadmaster 2 weeks ago, after spending countless hours on youtube trying to fiqure out the priming system (with no success), i decided to sell it on ebay. Last week I got my Dillion 550B, in 2 hours I had the loader all set up and 150 rounds loaded. It is truly a pleasure to use! Dillion all the way.
That is why Lee progressives are just not worth the money IMO. I want a progressive to load 1000s of trouble free rounds, not tinker w/ my gear. Still, a Lee progressive beats buying factory ammo.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 23:57   #24
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Do you want to tinker? Go with a Lee.

Do you want to reload? Go with a Dillon or a Hornady.
Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.

Last edited by cole; 04-27-2011 at 23:58..
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 00:12   #25
PsychoKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
Originally Posted by dudel
"Do you want to tinker? Go with a Lee.

Do you want to reload? Go with a Dillon or a Hornady."

Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing.
Hey! You can't cross out "Hornady." That's totally un-American.

Competition is good, even if its brutal, unfair and corrupt. Where would Dillon be if not for RCBS, I mean Lyman, I mean Lee. Where would Obama's long-form birth certificate be without the Donald?

Nevermind.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 04-28-2011 at 01:10..
PsychoKnight is offline   Reply With Quote