Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:43   #1
kp352g

G36 holster options

Has anyone tried their G36 in a holster made for the G29 or G30? They have a similar rounded muzzel end, they're all the same length, but the 36 slide is about 3 1/2 mm thinner. I don't know if 3.5 mm is enough to make the fit sloppy. Or how about a 19/23 holster? They have a little longer slide and are only 1 mm or so wider than the 36.

What's going on in the holster world? This pistol has been out for 10 years, and still holsters are hard to find. I'm leaning toward getting rid of it because I can't find a holster I like for it. Have I bought into something that nobody else in the world wants? Is it so unpopular that no one makes holsters for it.
kp352g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 13:47   #2
RMD

I don't own a G36, but I've read of many owners using G19/G23 holsters with no problems.
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 13:55   #3
SteelLucky

I have a High Noon Holster for a G36. I tried my 19/23 in it and it fit fine.
SteelLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 14:05   #4
tuica

I carry my G36 in both sizes of Glock S/C holster. They hold tight so large size not a problem. Even filled down trigger guard hump (on holster!) for easier withdrawl on S/C sized for G23 sized pistols. El Paso Holsters seem to be good, but inexpensive. G36 is a great gun, just not that many of them around, so holster makers may overlook that part of market.
Old 09-30-2010, 21:57   #5
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp352g View Post
What's going on in the holster world? This pistol has been out for 10 years, and still holsters are hard to find. I'm leaning toward getting rid of it because I can't find a holster I like for it. Have I bought into something that nobody else in the world wants? Is it so unpopular that no one makes holsters for it.
Let's see:
Fobus has a dedicated paddle and belt plastic holsters. I like my paddle for the range.

Bianchi has a dedicated Model 100 Professional IWB holster -- get the size 11, not the mistaken one (#12) listed on the Bianchi website for the G36. Mine seems to fit well, although I have not yet had cause to carry in it.

I am contemplating getting a Don Hume Yaqui slide OWB dedicated to the G36. I like the one that I have for another pistol.

That will be enough holsters for my G36.
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:09   #6
Firefighter880

Look up FIST. They will make any one of their models custom to make the G36. I love my small of back with thumb-break IWB FIST that I got for my 36
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05   #7
RX7Boricua

I carry my G36 daily in a Kwart shielded holster that I bought for my G33 which I carried before acquiring the 36. It's a Crossbreed ST style hybrid and the pistol fits perfectly. The Kwart holsters are open at the muzzle end so my 36 fits great with the extra bit of negligible slide protruding from the Kydex but still completely covered by the leather. It is extremely comfortable and the G36 conceals just as well as the 33 did despite the slightly longer grip. I even think Kurtis can make you a G36-specific shielded holster if you'd like. Check his thread in the Holsters section of GT.

Jose

"A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet." -- Philadelphia Mayor Frank Rizzo
RX7Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 19:46   #8
jayhuh

For Kydex, give Com-Tac a call. I'm sure Sparks or Kramer could make you an IWB or an OWB holster. When I get my 36, Comp-Tac is going to be my first call to have them make me an Infidel.
jayhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 20:53   #9
towbeast

You didn't say what type holster you were looking for, but most holsters for the 19/23's should work fine.
That being said, Galco alone makes 22 holster models to fit the G36.
towbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 21:41   #10
thunder380

I carry a 36 in a THS holster. IWB, Kydex. If you're interested in that style (or OWB), THS in Mesa, AZ has a great one. I have used these for a couple years now and love 'em!

[URL="http://www.thsholsters.com/"]http://www.thsholsters.com[/URL]
thunder380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:09   #11
coq
Raging Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the perfesser View Post
Let's see:
Fobus has a dedicated paddle and belt plastic holsters. I like my paddle for the range.

Bianchi has a dedicated Model 100 Professional IWB holster -- get the size 11, not the mistaken one (#12) listed on the Bianchi website for the G36. Mine seems to fit well, although I have not yet had cause to carry in it.

I am contemplating getting a Don Hume Yaqui slide OWB dedicated to the G36. I like the one that I have for another pistol.

That will be enough holsters for my G36.
Plus, just about any G19 holster will fit perfectly for the nearly identical dimensions.
coq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05   #12
kp352g

Thanks to everyone. I'm leaning toward either the Kramer #3 or the Occidental Stronghold Phoenix right now. Still dithering...
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15   #13
kp352g

THS holsters

Hey I followed the link and surfed around, but can't tell what model of holster you might get when you go to the drop down selection page. On their website, they have a pic of one holster with one belt clip, and a pic of a holster with two belt clips like a Sparks VM2. How do you know what you're going to get? I even tried the drop down with several different pistol models and still no clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder380 View Post
I carry a 36 in a THS holster. IWB, Kydex. If you're interested in that style (or OWB), THS in Mesa, AZ has a great one. I have used these for a couple years now and love 'em!

http://www.thsholsters.com
Old 10-08-2010, 16:44   #14
GOCANES

I am going to be getting an LG436 laserguard for my g36. Have given thought to holsters, but maybe because of my size, don't feel comfortable for cc. Either my shirt rides up, exposing the holster or weapon, (done before and had to appologize/explain to a nervous woman who saw it), or wear some kind of contraption that goes between my pants and my skin. I have found in the past that an external zippered pouch works well for me ( I had an old one for my 38sp years ago), allowing easy access while also not having to worry about accidental "exposure" of a firearm. Also, if I find myself in an unplanned situation where I have to remove it, it's just a matter of unclipping it without showing what it is, storing it elsewhere, and then just reclipping it back on when I need to. Most posts are in regards to the various types of holsters. Any suggestions for a quality pouch (not a fannypack), that would be best suited for the g36 with that LG436. Is leather preferable over nylon, ect?
Thanks for any sugg
GOCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48   #15
Sonnytoo

Would advise you to stay with a holster designed for the G19. The guns are nearly identical in all dimensions, and slide width is the same. The G36 grip is 1/4" shorter than a G19; not relevant at all.
For a cheap holster, I've used the Glock S/C holster for years. But use the smaller one, NOT the one for G29 and G30.
For medium, try FIST as someone said. Their holster looks like a best buy. For professional (expensive) use, I've just ordered a Brommeland IWB MAC CON V for my G36, which should be an outstanding IWB that is all-day comfortable.
sonnytoo

Last edited by Sonnytoo; 10-09-2010 at 07:57..
Sonnytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:02   #16
Sonnytoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp352g View Post
I don't know if 3.5 mm is enough to make the fit sloppy. YES, IT WOULD BE. Or how about a 19/23 holster? THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. They have a little longer slide and are only 1 mm or so wider than the 36.

I'm leaning toward getting rid of it because I can't find a holster I like for it. Have I bought into something that nobody else in the world wants?
Heck, you probably have the best Glock in the world and aren't aware of it. If you decide to dump it, let me know. I love mine.
Just get a holster for a G19, same size, and you'll be fine.
sonnytoo
Sonnytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 22:47   #17
mackvli

I have a Minotaur Spartan and a High Noon Mr Softy depending on whether I am wearing it all day or just a quick trip to the store and/or whether I am carrying at 4 to 5 o'clock or 2 o'clock respectively. You can't go wrong with the Mr Softy or the bare asset depending on your preference for cant and ride height. The clip is good too, solid yet easy on and off. I own one of each (the Bare Asset for another gun) and the more I use 'em the more I like 'em.

Also, the right belt is key. I have a wilderness frequent flyer. Between the belt and a high noon holster you're only looking at about $75 bucks for the whole setup.

The 36 is a great piece, hope this helps you find what you're looking for!

Last edited by mackvli; 10-11-2010 at 22:51..
mackvli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:20   #18
kp352g

How's this for blind luck: I found a local guy selling his G36 with a Milt Sparks VM-2 and magazine pouch. He was willing to sell just the holster/mag pouch to me. Now I'm the pround wearer of a G-36 in a Milt Sparks!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:29   #19
dugo

Just FYI, don't write off holsters made for the 26, either, if open-ended.

Picked up a Hume IWB for a G19 and it worked very well for the 36. BUT, the slide on the 36 is just a bit shorter than the 19, and a bit longer than the 26.

The 19 holster left a little air space at the end. When the 36 was holstered at about 2:00, it nudged my leg sitting down. The 26 holster works better, leaves just a hair of muzzle exposed, but is more comfortable (for me) for this position. Slight muzzle exposure doesn't create any problem.

By the way, the only "inexpensive-but-good" IWB I found stocked for the 36 with CT laserguard was the one by High Noon. Others make very good dedicated holsters at request, or may stock them at higher prices -- but many well worth the cost.
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:14   #20
tankermw

I just got my first G36 today!!!!!!!!!!

I have a hooker holster from Alabama Holsters that I use for my 19 & 23. The new 36 fits perfectly! All of you should try this holster. Great price, no wait and it conceals with a t-shirt.

Thin to Win - G36 Club

http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_5

Last edited by tankermw; 03-18-2011 at 18:11.. Reason: add pic and link
tankermw is offline   Reply With Quote