GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15   #21
UneasyRider
C.D.B.
 
UneasyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
I'll ask.

Do they make a 44" tire for Mountain Bikes or is that a typo?

As for a bike, for a SHTF event, couple of things to keep in mind.

Do NOT buy a top of the line bike...heck even a nice bike for that matter. If you are talking a true SHTF event remember when you are riding it at any time someone could jack you and you could be leaving that nice $1,000 ride on the side of the road. Which brings up the second point.

Compared to walking, I would think you are much more vulnerable.

Third, take a hint from NYC messengers. Don't buy some Krypton lock which can be defeated with a pen....or even a cable lock. It will be heavy, but get yourself a nice 3-4' section of heavy duty Grade 80 chain and lock you can throw over your shoulder. You know darn well there will be people just walking around with a bolt cutter looking for stuff to take.

A bike is only worth as much as the chain used to keep in place.

In the first few hours I don't think that we will see too much panic in any but the very worst scenarios so you should be 30 miles away with proper motivation.
__________________
"Freedom ain't Free" Ted Nugent at the House of Blues in Orlando.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42   #22
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post

Compared to walking, I would think you are much more vulnerable.
Why? And, by how much?
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:46   #23
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Assuming we are riding on a road or normal bicycle path I totally agree.

If there is a need to go off road,......
Maybe the North Vietnamese should have been told this.


They might not have used bikes to transport supplies on the Ho Chi Min trail - can you get any more off road?.
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi

Last edited by Dexters; 11-20-2011 at 12:47..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 13:36   #24
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Maybe the North Vietnamese should have been told this.

They might not have used bikes to transport supplies on the Ho Chi Min trail - can you get any more off road?.
How much off road, off trail bike riding have you done?

Based on my experience, the bicycle with trailer sucks when you get off road and off trail in the hills.

Now, if you want to move through the woods with several hundred of your friends you can certainly alter the area to transport goods, but even then it is easier to move a bicycle vs. move AND trailer.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 14:30   #25
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
How much off road, off trail bike riding have you done?

Based on my experience, the bicycle with trailer sucks when you get off road and off trail in the hills.

Now, if you want to move through the woods with several hundred of your friends you can certainly alter the area to transport goods, but even then it is easier to move a bicycle vs. move AND trailer.
I've mountain biked last week in Fla, Last June/July in Colorado and in North GA - I live close by. What about you?

They suck compared to what?

How much weight are you carrying by bike alone vs bike with trailer vs only by backpack?
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 14:40   #26
pugman
Senior Member
 
pugman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Why? And, by how much?
When you are riding a bike and say someone gets something into a tire...and you take a spill...you are out of commission for several seconds to possibly even knocked out. Yes, someone intent on getting you rather than the bike has just as much opportunity if you are walking but when riding you have speed against you.

When I've watched videos of someone on a bike gets jacked...what is usually their first response? Instinctively, they try and get back on the bike and get going again. Bad move

The other thing is when you ride a bike...you don't seem as aware of your surroundings since 1) things are moving past faster 2) you are concentrating on things like riding the bike, watching for other vehicles, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I bought a bike last summer with the sole intent of using if if something happens and gas hits $8.00/gallon; I can use it to ride to the store or whatever and save money.

Given no other choice would you rather walk or ride a bicycle through the L.A riots or post New Orleans Katrina. The bike's sole asset is speed. I just think it potentially makes you a target as well.

When the OP said SHTF I'm thinking long term

Now, can I mount a weapon on the bike? Now we are talking...
__________________
Now when asked when I think things will change I answer "The next time Thomas (aka the fed) robs Peter (aka the 53%) to pay Paul (aka the 47%) and Peter pulls a gun...things will change"
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 14:57   #27
Dexters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ga
Posts: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
When you are riding a bike and say someone gets something into a tire...and you take a spill...you are out of commission for several seconds to possibly even knocked out. Yes, someone intent on getting you rather than the bike has just as much opportunity if you are walking but when riding you have speed against you.

When I've watched videos of someone on a bike gets jacked...what is usually their first response? Instinctively, they try and get back on the bike and get going again. Bad move

The other thing is when you ride a bike...you don't seem as aware of your surroundings since 1) things are moving past faster 2) you are concentrating on things like riding the bike, watching for other vehicles, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I bought a bike last summer with the sole intent of using if if something happens and gas hits $8.00/gallon; I can use it to ride to the store or whatever and save money.

Given no other choice would you rather walk or ride a bicycle through the L.A riots or post New Orleans Katrina. The bike's sole asset is speed. I just think it potentially makes you a target as well.

When the OP said SHTF I'm thinking long term

Now, can I mount a weapon on the bike? Now we are talking...
As with most things in life - it is about balance and trade offs.

Waking with a 40 - 50 lb backpack a person can average 2 - 2.5/mph over 10 hrs

Biking - no game carrier - on a road packing 40 - 50 lbs a person can average 5 - 8/mph over 10 hrs

The bike gives you the option of pushing it, dropping it and adding more weight than a person with just a backpack can carry.

Both are exposed to surprise attack.

As the price of gas gets higher I think you will see more people walking to shopping centers with shopping carts like the ones below. You don't see too many of them now but they were big when I was young.


http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM197723403
__________________
Montani Semper Liberi

Last edited by Dexters; 11-20-2011 at 15:07..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:46   #28
Lone Kimono
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by g27_mengi View Post
I'm an avid cyclist, and a long-distance commuter who knows how worthless our highway systems are in a 'crisis' (an inch of snow, etc.). Thinking about buying a folding bike (Dahon, etc.) and tossing it in the car.
If that is the company that makes the folding military ones I have an in for a group buy.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:49   #29
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
I've mountain biked last week in Fla, Last June/July in Colorado and in North GA - I live close by. What about you?

They suck compared to what?

How much weight are you carrying by bike alone vs bike with trailer vs only by backpack?
Excellent, we can have an educated discussion. I have ridden in a half dozen different states and a couple countries.

I think you will agree that on the road/paved trail where there are no obstacles the bike will get you there much faster than on foot.

When you add a trailer, you add weight even if you haven't added any more gear. The trailers effect balance also. The type of trailer makes a big different in this respect. Some trailers have issues if you go fast.

Now go to a hard packed gravel, sand, dirt trail. The bike is still faster and easier on the body to move yourself and stuff. The trailer adds more drag as its tire(s) sink into the trail. The issues mentioned above for the trailer increase as the trail gets worse.

Now change the trail to sticky mud or sand and the bicycle could be a pain. The trailer is starts to become a burden. The bicycle can not be ridden so it is being pushed. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack.

So lets go back to the to the paved or gravel path and add some limbs across the path. Small stuff you can ride over with a mountain bike. Small stuff is more difficult to ride over with a trailer. For the larger stuff, we are back to not being able to ride. We are walking the bike. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack. Anything where you have to get off the bike and lift it over the obstacle is even more of a pain. If you have to lift the bike you now have to detach the trailer and lift it separately.

Now lets go off the trail. What do we find off trail? We have more soft soil, sticky mud, unpacked sand, large rocks, sticks and branches, and we add undergrowth. It can not be ridden unless the person want to crash often. The handle bars may or may not fit between the trees. The ergonomics of pushing a bicycle are not as good as the ergonomics of hiking the trail with a backpack. The undergrowth is getting hung up in the gears, spokes.... When the trailer is added, it may mean pushing the bike a little way and then coming back for the trailer.

I don't see a one solution to travel. Keep the options open.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:58   #30
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
As with most things in life - it is about balance and trade offs.

Waking with a 40 - 50 lb backpack a person can average 2 - 2.5/mph over 10 hrs

Biking - no game carrier - on a road packing 40 - 50 lbs a person can average 5 - 8/mph over 10 hrs

The bike gives you the option of pushing it, dropping it and adding more weight than a person with just a backpack can carry.

Both are exposed to surprise attack.

As the price of gas gets higher I think you will see more people walking to shopping centers with shopping carts like the ones below. You don't see too many of them now but they were big when I was young.
]
I see you have been typing while I have been typing.
Yes, exactly.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 16:17   #31
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
When you are riding a bike and say someone gets something into a tire...and you take a spill...you are out of commission for several seconds to possibly even knocked out. Yes, someone intent on getting you rather than the bike has just as much opportunity if you are walking but when riding you have speed against you.

The other thing is when you ride a bike...you don't seem as aware of your surroundings since 1) things are moving past faster 2) you are concentrating on things like riding the bike, watching for other vehicles, etc.

Given no other choice would you rather walk or ride a bicycle through the L.A riots or post New Orleans Katrina. The bike's sole asset is speed. I just think it potentially makes you a target as well.
Speed works for you on the bike. You are a harder target to shoot. Your first paragraph really makes no sense.

I became one with my bike when I was riding on a regular basis. I can speed up or slow down. I could ride into a situation very slowly and ride away fast if there was an ambush. It is not as good as a car, but much better than on foot.

I would much rather ride out of LA riots or Post N.O. vs. walk.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 20:48   #32
Akita
gone
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Assuming we are riding on a road or normal bicycle path I totally agree.

If there is a need to go off road,......
Depending on how bad off road you mean, of course. If a bike and trailer can go there, its always easier to push it than carry the gear. At least at my age it is.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 22:58   #33
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Bumping a thread out of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
Depending on how bad off road you mean, of course. If a bike and trailer can go there, its always easier to push it than carry the gear. At least at my age it is.
It depends.

If going across a surface which pushing is difficult, I found myself carrying my bicycle and gear. Since a bicycle is not designed to be carried, this makes life more difficult than just carrying the gear. Then you add a trailer which means you have two trips.

If going across a surface where you can not ride, but you can walk. This isn't bad for the first mile, but then you are pushing across the bike which wears you down more than if you were just pushing from behind.

Now just for fun, assume you come to a locked fence. Now you either have the strength to pick up a loaded bike and gear and lift it over OR you find yourself taking everything off and lifting it over and then putting everything back.

BTW, Just a reminder. I enjoy riding. I did the tour camping along the way. It is great and not so great. I suggest anyone who wants to tour get on the GAP or C&O and try it out. Learn what works and what doesn't.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 16:57   #34
g27_mengi
Senior Member
 
g27_mengi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 2nd Floor
Posts: 369


A thread worth reviving. If only to remind ourselves that non-gas alternatives are always worth owning—and mastering. I continue to encourage folks around me to get a good bike fitting, and use that bike. Enjoy it. 'Cause on the day you might need it for some... alternate situation, it will be as familiar as tying your boots.

I'm currently building a Surly ECR, a new offering from them that's built for road and offroad. Check it out at Surly's site: www.surlybikes.com
__________________
USMC 5811 | Semper Fi
g27_mengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 17:47   #35
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by g27_mengi View Post
A thread worth reviving. If only to remind ourselves that non-gas alternatives are always worth owning—and mastering. I continue to encourage folks around me to get a good bike fitting, and use that bike. Enjoy it. 'Cause on the day you might need it for some... alternate situation, it will be as familiar as tying your boots.
Assuming I stay in my current AO, I am thinking of getting a BikeFriday to take with me all the time. It wouldn't be a full on bug out bike, but it would get me home.

Additionally, the biggest issue with public transportation is the last mile. This would take care of the last mile, even in a suit and tie.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 18:13   #36
Cullen Bohannon
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nunyo Bezewacks
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugi View Post
Not for nothing but you should cherish these days....they don't last forever, my son is 16 and my daughter more or less ran away from home. Forget it. I think you'd move fast with a pack on your back...a trailer would most def slow ya down.
Yes. Cherish these days, and earn your fatherhood. Watching football and hugging or kissing your offspring, as he/she heads off to Scouts/sports practice/dance class is NOT raising your child. Taking active participation (preferably...Directectly...IS raising your child). Cherish it and earn it. Please - for your child's sake. :-)
Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 19:39   #37
Aceman
Senior Member
 
Aceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,550
You know, I had never really considered the BOBike. That said, having been out in the wild with Deputy Dave a couple of time's, I'm a fan!!!!

I rode full pack a couple of times and while it definitely limited situational awareness somewhat, and had a different set of pain than walking associated with it, I am now convinced that it IS an excellent alternate form of transport and should be considered.

Dep Dave used a trailer. This might not be so good, depending. Weight, stability, etc...All issues to consider.

I think, for me, the basic bike is the way to go. I'll pass on the trailer. IF I went trailer, I'd go with one of those little baby buggies.

There were also a couple of crashes. Get your trailer technique down under load! And you teamster/loading skills too.

I'd love to have the bikes on the BOVehicle. 5 bikes might not be reasonable though.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 20:45   #38
g27_mengi
Senior Member
 
g27_mengi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 2nd Floor
Posts: 369


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
You know, I had never really considered the BOBike. That said, having been out in the wild with Deputy Dave a couple of time's, I'm a fan!!!!

I rode full pack a couple of times and while it definitely limited situational awareness somewhat, and had a different set of pain than walking associated with it, I am now convinced that it IS an excellent alternate form of transport and should be considered.

Dep Dave used a trailer. This might not be so good, depending. Weight, stability, etc...All issues to consider.

I think, for me, the basic bike is the way to go. I'll pass on the trailer. IF I went trailer, I'd go with one of those little baby buggies.

There were also a couple of crashes. Get your trailer technique down under load! And you teamster/loading skills too.

I'd love to have the bikes on the BOVehicle. 5 bikes might not be reasonable though.
The older I get, and the more I 'bikepack', the less I need. So I agree with your hunch about the trailer. I owned one years ago, but sold it. If I'm down to a bicycle, I want to be as nimble as possible, so frame bag systems like those offered by Porcelain Rocket and others are my choice.

Whatever that's worth.
__________________
USMC 5811 | Semper Fi
g27_mengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 21:23   #39
glockout
Senior Member
 
glockout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buck Creek, Mo
Posts: 155
We are bike and motorcycle riders. Mostly off road but ride on road too. About 10 years ago I used to ride over 340 miles in a day in competition.

Don't go that far anymore. I built a trailer about 10 years ago and another bigger trailer later.
Here is my big trailer.
Survival/Preparedness Forum
and a run with fire wood with my motorbike.
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by glockout; 02-16-2014 at 21:35..
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28   #40
callihan_44
INFIDEL
 
callihan_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Flyover,USA
Posts: 2,542
best way to get into shape for a bike ride with extra weight, ride the hell out of the bike...Ive done a few rails to trails trips with 30lbs of extra gear on my bike on soft gravel and I found the best way to increase endurance was just put in the miles, I tried incorporating more weight lifting with my legs and that really didn't seem to do much for riding endurance.
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:10.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,379
423 Members
956 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31