Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2011, 14:39   #1
antij0sh

Need powder advice...

While I'm sure this has been addressed multiple times I can't seem to find any relevant info to my dilemma. I've got most everything to start loading up some 10mm for my G20sf with KKM 6". It would seem that every reloader here firmly believes that either 800x, AA#9, blue dot, long shot or power pistol is the best 10mm powder. I would have gone with blue dot but I've heard that in cold temperatures it can get finicky,I plan to work up a whitetail load and it will be very cold by that time. Also this powder seems to have a high peak pressure for a given velocity. 800x scares me because I haven't worked with any compressed charges and most seem to be compressed, although the pressure to velocity ratio in my load data is hands down the best. I want good performance with the highest safety margin possible, I'm not looking to break any records, just drop a few bucks. I also would love if the powder could be used across a broad range of bullet weights and if possible used with 9mm Luger as well. Any advice is welcome!

-Josh
antij0sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 15:10   #2
antij0sh

Also, I would like to make use of all this 40 brass I've picked up so something that can be used for a 40 plinking load would be a bonus but no a requirement.
Old 04-26-2011, 13:45   #3
robert91922

Powder for 10mm

If you gonna hunt white tail deer you need heavy bullet 180gr or better 200gr (HDY XTP recommended) driven at approx. 1200-1250fps.
The powder must be SLOW pistol powder. I think a comparation table (burning rate chart) on 2nd page of Vihtavuori reloading guide would be helpful. Try to google and download "VIHTAVUORI RELOADING GUIDE EDITION 9" it's a 1Mb PDF file.
Look for Vihtavuori or other brand powders in range between N350 and N105 or maybe half way down to N110.
The rest you can find in "sticky" threads in the beginning of this forum.
Buy a chronograph if you don't have one already. For me personally N105 is ideal for XTP 200gr/1250fps/custom full supported barrel.
Good luck and take care

P.S.: A good hunting powder for 10mm/200gr will be too slow for 9mm. For 9mm there's a wide choice of powders, depends on bullet weight. For bulk massive production: Rex 1 / 124gr or Rex 2 /135gr or Rex 3/ 147gr. It's cheap and good.

Last edited by robert91922; 04-26-2011 at 14:03..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 15:48   #4
antij0sh

I can rifle through my load books and pick a powder right now based on a multitude of things, but what isn't represented in books such as how well something meters or if its sensitive to cold temperatures is why I ask here.
Old 04-26-2011, 17:48   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

If using one pwoder for both 40 S&W and 10mm I would have to go with Longshot and have used it in both. I do like 800-X better for 10mm, Longshot will work well in it.
Old 04-26-2011, 19:55   #6
antij0sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
If using one pwoder for both 40 S&W and 10mm I would have to go with Longshot and have used it in both. I do like 800-X better for 10mm, Longshot will work well in it.
Thanks for the recomendation, I think im just going to pick up some 1lb jugs of 800x, longshot, and blue dot and power pistol and draw my own conclusions, not the most economical way of doing things but let's be honest, I haven't saved penny one since getting into reloading, just spend any savings on more equipment, guns, and shooting! Thanks again guys.

-Josh
Old 04-26-2011, 20:04   #7
MinervaDoe

I've had good luck with AA#7 at medium velocities. It is accurate.
It is also one of the powders that has high fps listings in the manuals.
It meters well too.

AA#7 was developed for 9mm carbine loads. I have a load for 147 grain 9mm which I believe is pretty accurate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 04-26-2011 at 21:34..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 20:45   #8
rippleAdder

I use power pistol for both .40 and 10mm hasn't done me wrong yet great results in velocity and accuracy! I use blue dot and AA#9 but only for 10mm although I imagine they would all work well in both platforms.
rippleAdder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27   #9
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Don't bother with Blue dot it's too fast.

Longshot is the best choice for metering.

800x is the best choice for hand weighing each charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antij0sh View Post
Thanks for the recomendation, I think im just going to pick up some 1lb jugs of 800x, longshot, and blue dot and power pistol and draw my own conclusions, not the most economical way of doing things but let's be honest, I haven't saved penny one since getting into reloading, just spend any savings on more equipment, guns, and shooting! Thanks again guys.

-Josh
Old 04-27-2011, 16:04   #10
antij0sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Don't bother with Blue dot it's too fast.

Longshot is the best choice for metering.

800x is the best choice for hand weighing each charge.
Thanks for the input, I've seen some others swear by blue dot. But it does seem a tad on the fast side. I'm tentatively going for 800x, Longshot, and AA#9, might pick up some PP too because it seems to do well in 9mm as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 18:30   #11
rippleAdder

I've had great results with power pistol but it's faster than blue dot. I find myself using more power pistol than blue dot but I'm still experimenting with powders I would get one or the other but not both(BD or PP). I'm pretty sure you can get better performance from power pistol with less powder.
rippleAdder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 19:05   #12
BenKeith

I've only been loading the 10mm and 40's for about six weeks and have stuck with the basics, w231 for the 40 and Blue Dot for the 10. The 40 is only loaded for a light, practice load, with 135gr Barnes plated bullets and the W231 works great for that.

As for compressed loads, if you build a max load with Blue Dot, it will also probably be a compressed powder load, it is in mine.

I will also be trying one of the other max load powders, just to see how they compare with Blue Dot. I have'nt shot a Blue Dot at night yet, I hear it makes one hellava flash so I'm will be looking for a low flash powder that has good velocity with 180 grain bullets.
BenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:22   #13
MinervaDoe

I've made some really accurate loads with Unique (165 and 180 grain) around 1020 fps. I got kind of tired of it not metering well though. Most reloading manuals will tell you whether a powder is ball or flake, etc. and this is what you need to know to figure out what meters well.
I worked up a few hotloads with HS6, but I didn't like the faster loads much. The midrange loads were more accurate, but it's not really a powder that I was too crazy about in anything I've loaded it in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 00:19   #14
g29guy

I've only shot 800x and blue dot. I hand weigh all my loads but would try something else for metering capabilities. Blue dot is fun to shoot but is dirty and at about 100-150 rounds gun needs cleaned with match barrel(this is when loads are being worked up maybe not as much with hot loads). Ive been happy with 800x but is difficult to use, Seems to stick to funnel when hand weighing, It almost seems like static cling. Doesn't happen with blue dot.

Ill be purchasing AA#9 and longshot next I think
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12   #15
littlejohn3rd

I will be doing a bunch of chronographing this weekend with various powders (AA#7, AA#9, P.Pistol,800X,Vihtavouri3N38) with 155 gr. and 180 gr. bullets, and will be posting the results. I will be loading to max book loads, but not any hotter. They will be all through a 6" LW barrel, so velocities will be 80-120 fps higher than a 4.6 stock barrel.
littlejohn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:17   #16
antij0sh

As soon as I decide on no BD everyone and his brother posts about using blue dot! Thanks for all the help guys, I'm definitely buying 1lb jugs of several powders, But this is exactly the reason I was intrigued by the 10mm, so many options. Looks like I've got to invest in a chronograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn3rd View Post
I will be doing a bunch of chronographing this weekend with various powders (AA#7, AA#9, P.Pistol,800X,Vihtavouri3N38) with 155 gr. and 180 gr. bullets, and will be posting the results. I will be loading to max book loads, but not any hotter. They will be all through a 6" LW barrel, so velocities will be 80-120 fps higher than a 4.6 stock barrel.
I will be very interested in your results, especially with the 6" bbl.

-Josh
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07   #17
g29guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antij0sh View Post
As soon as I decide on no BD everyone and his brother posts about using blue dot! Thanks for all the help guys, I'm definitely buying 1lb jugs of several powders, But this is exactly the reason I was intrigued by the 10mm, so many options. Looks like I've got to invest in a chronograph.

I will be very interested in your results, especially with the 6" bbl.

-Josh
Buy what you can and see what you like. Everyone is different and you may load with more or less patience than others. I work midnights so for me hand-weighing passes the time when my family is asleep and I'm bored in the middle of the night. I will experiment with better metering powder for range time with medium loads. For hunting loads I don't mind the extra time the 800x requires.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16   #18
antij0sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29guy View Post
Buy what you can and see what you like. Everyone is different and you may load with more or less patience than others. I work midnights so for me hand-weighing passes the time when my family is asleep and I'm bored in the middle of the night. I will experiment with better metering powder for range time with medium loads. For hunting loads I don't mind the extra time the 800x requires.
That's exactly what im looking for, something easy to meter that I can do a fair amount for shooting without really caring about performance, and then 800x for high performance and hunting loads

-Josh
Old 04-28-2011, 13:13   #19
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
AA7 has been really accurate for me with the 180gr XTP at fult tilt boogie, however, it doesn't seem to quite have the velocity numbers.

Power Pistol is awesome for lighter bullets (135-165gr) but loses its lead with 180-200gr bullets.

IMR-800X is the undisputed high-velocity/low-pressure king, however, as has been said a million times, it simply won't meter. You HAVE to weigh each and every charge.

Longshot is ALLLMOST what 800X is for velocity and low pressure, however, it DOES meter well. My next powder will be Longshot.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 19:55   #20
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
AA7 has been really accurate for me with the 180gr XTP at fult tilt boogie, however, it doesn't seem to quite have the velocity numbers.

Power Pistol is awesome for lighter bullets (135-165gr) but loses its lead with 180-200gr bullets.

IMR-800X is the undisputed high-velocity/low-pressure king, however, as has been said a million times, it simply won't meter. You HAVE to weigh each and every charge.

Longshot is ALLLMOST what 800X is for velocity and low pressure, however, it DOES meter well. My next powder will be Longshot.
could not agree more. I load for 165gr and down for both 10 and .40 power pistol and Longshot have given me high velocities in those bullets at book max loads and don't have to compress these powders.
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote