SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2012, 18:27   #1
dano8801
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to dano8801
Picked up my beautiful new carry leather this week!

EDIT: Pictures added.

Recently picked up a G19, so I needed a new holster. My Rafter S sharkskin belt was getting old, so I figured I needed a new belt too. I don't have any pics up yet, but I'll add some tonight if people are interested.

I'm a pretty picky guy, so I spent a couple weeks weighing my options and prices. I was willing to wait a few weeks, but not 6 months. I narrowed it down to a few different makes, and finally pulled the trigger.

Holster is a Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion. This replaced their What The Tuck? model. I went with belt loops rather than clips, as it allowed more adjustment for cant. Cost me $90 after shipping. They said it would take about 3 weeks to ship. It shipped after 9 days. Left them on a Friday, got to me on a Monday. Spent hours playing with ride height and cant. I think I've got it where I want it, and I'm very happy overall. In my opinion, quality is way above the other holsters I was considering from Crossbreed or White Hat.

I love my Rafter belt, and their prices are better than some of the competition, but everyone has heard the horror stories about them. Long waits with unfulfilled promises and sometimes never any product in the end. I wasn't willing to risk it. Too bad, as they make great stuff.

Even more belt options than there are holster options. I thought The Belt Man was too expensive for what he is. I don't remember where, but someone mentioned a very small company called RG Gunleather. Prices were very reasonable, and I read good things. I emailed Rick with questions. He was quick to answer, friendly, and helpful. Over the last few weeks, he continued this trend. Any time I emailed with a question or to check in, he got back to my very quickly. In a world where some businesses lack customer service in an unbelievable way, Rick is a wonderful exception. He was a pleasure to work with.

I placed my order, and he asked me to wait to send the money. He doesn't like holding onto people's money. He would notify me when he began working on my belt, and I could send it then. He said he was currently about 2 weeks out. A week and a half later I checked in with him, and he told me he was expecting to start on my belt on Monday. Monday morning he emailed me letting me know he was right on schedule, and that he planned to ship on Wednesday. I sent funds on Monday night. When I checked with him on Wednesday to confirm shipping, I found out that he had actually shipped on Tuesday.

Belt just came in. Sizing is perfect. Craftsmanship is beautiful. I couldn't be more happy. The combination of the belt with my new holster is extremely comfortable. I will definitely be working with Rick in the future when I need another belt of mag holder.

Here are the pics. You'll have to forgive the quality, as they were taken with my phone.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Here's a comparison with my old Rafter S Gunleather Sharkskin belt. Rafter on top, RG on bottom.
Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Last edited by dano8801; 02-09-2012 at 20:15.. Reason: Added photos
dano8801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 18:54   #2
The Habit
كافر

How would you compare the stiffness of the RG belt vs. the Rafter S? My Rafter S belt is the best gun belt I've owned, surpassing my Beltman belts by a considerable margin.
The Habit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 19:05   #3
dano8801
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habit View Post
How would you compare the stiffness of the RG belt vs. the Rafter S? My Rafter S belt is the best gun belt I've owned, surpassing my Beltman belts by a considerable margin.
I'd say the RG is just a little bit stiffer. But keep in mind that it's brand new, tha the Rafter S belt was purchased in 2007 or so..
Old 02-09-2012, 19:10   #4
The Habit
كافر

Thanks. My Rafter S is about 8 years old and is still stiff as a board. I'd love to order another but I've heard some really sketchy things about Rafter S customer service lately.
The Habit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 19:38   #5
dano8801
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habit View Post
Thanks. My Rafter S is about 8 years old and is still stiff as a board. I'd love to order another but I've heard some really sketchy things about Rafter S customer service lately.
Exactly. I didn't have any trouble the one time I went through them, but the stories I've heard since range from inconvenient to unforgivable. It's a shame, because they do beautiful work.