Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2011, 20:52   #1
G17Gen4

Suppressor questions.

I have been told that I can legally manufacture a suppressor by filling out a form 1. Is this true? How exactly would this be done? I know how to manufacture one and have a machine shop so that isnt a problem, I just want to know the legality of it and the cost and paper work involved.
Ar15
G17Gen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

You need to file an accurate Form 1 before and get it back approved before you start. You cannot make or retain "extra" parts. $200 tax, same as a Form 4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16   #3
G17Gen4

What do you mean by extra parts? Also could a friend file a form 1 and then have me make it upon approval? And how long does a suppressor normally last on say a G21?
Ar15
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

There is no law against using machines at a location you do not own; however, nobody other than the person named on the Form 1 can "possess" the silencer parts. You cannot end up with more parts than what make up the suppressor on the Form 1. If you need to make replacement parts, technically, you cannot do that either on a Form 1 suppressor, because any individual silencer part is legally considered a silencer (other than those integral to the silencer.. if that makes sense).

How long a suppressor lasts depends wholly on the design, engineering, build quality, and materials that go into it. A Glock 21 suppressor might last essentially forever, or it might get blown up in 5 rounds depending how it was made.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:08   #5
G17Gen4

Ok that makes sense. What type of suppressor design would you recommend for a .45 acp and a 5.56 AR-15?
Ar15
Old 04-27-2011, 12:27   #6
Zak Smith
3Gunner

As a manufacturer it would be improper for me to go into specifically how to design a suppressor. Suffice to say, if you look at what's on the market, you can get an idea how to make one that works ok. There are many designs that work ok, and some that work very well.

Old 04-27-2011, 13:56   #7
G17Gen4

I respect as a manufacturer why you cant tell me exactly how to design one. What brand would you suggest I look at that would be the best design to make something similar too? Also would I need to put taller sights on the pistol to be able to shoot it accurately?
Ar15

Last edited by G17Gen4; 04-27-2011 at 14:07..
Old 04-27-2011, 13:57   #8
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Even making a Form 1 suppressor, you cannot infringe on patents.

However, there are a limited number of basic baffle designs. For pistol cans, the K type baffle is very common. For rifle cans, the M and K type baffles are both relatively common.