Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2011, 20:44   #1
Objekt

Glock 20 extra-power recoil springs for heavy reloads

In the past year, I experimented with 220 gr. bullets in my Glock 20, and found that they simply could not be made to work. Without re-hashing the whole thing, I came to suspect my slide velocity was too high due to the very heavy bullets.

One possible solution is a heavier-than-stock recoil spring. The Glock 20 comes with a 17 lb. spring. Wolff Gunsprings offers replacement springs in various increments, up to over 20 lb.

I have to buy a metal guide rod + one or more springs. I have no idea which spring will do the trick, so I pretty much have to buy the Wolff "calibration" package, which includes various levels of stronger-than-stock recoil springs.

I suppose I could buy increasingly stronger springs, one at a time, until I find the one that works. But it seems more economical - and less tedious - to buy the multi-spring package instead.

With my luck, I'll find that the first increment (19 lb.) does the job. Any thoughts on what to do with the leftover recoil springs? Please comment if you've put an extra-strong recoil spring in a Glock 20, or only thought about doing it.
Objekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30   #2
lunker

When I had my Glock 20, I ran a Wolff 22lb non-captive spring and guide rod in it. This handled the worst recoiling loads, but still allowed me to shoot Georgia Arms canned heat.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#139

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:02   #3
Kwesi

When I placed my first order with Mike at Double Tap he recommended the Wolf 22#. My G20 was fine with it and DT's 135gr Nosler's travelling at 1600 fps.

Last edited by Kwesi; 04-26-2011 at 11:02..
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31   #4
billdean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
In the past year, I experimented with 220 gr. bullets in my Glock 20, and found that they simply could not be made to work. Without re-hashing the whole thing, I came to suspect my slide velocity was too high due to the very heavy bullets.

One possible solution is a heavier-than-stock recoil spring. The Glock 20 comes with a 17 lb. spring. Wolff Gunsprings offers replacement springs in various increments, up to over 20 lb.

I have to buy a metal guide rod + one or more springs. I have no idea which spring will do the trick, so I pretty much have to buy the Wolff "calibration" package, which includes various levels of stronger-than-stock recoil springs.

I suppose I could buy increasingly stronger springs, one at a time, until I find the one that works. But it seems more economical - and less tedious - to buy the multi-spring package instead.

With my luck, I'll find that the first increment (19 lb.) does the job. Any thoughts on what to do with the leftover recoil springs? Please comment if you've put an extra-strong recoil spring in a Glock 20, or only thought about doing it.
In reloading the DT 230 grain Hard Cast Bullets for my G20 I have found them to shoot perfectly with the stock 17 lb stainless recoil spring. I do use an after market 6" Bar-Sto barrel or my stock length KKM.
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 13:20   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I use a captive 22# spring on a SS rod for hot and heavy loads, got it from the Glock Store.
Old 04-26-2011, 13:21   #6
lunker

Another nice thing about the heavy spring, even for non hot loads, is that brass falls closer to your feet at the range. With the light spring, brass gets flung 20+ feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 13:29   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
My old G20 functioned perfectly with every load I ever ran through it, up to and including DT's 200 and 230gr HC loads. I think a 22lb spring would be a good bet if you DO wanna change it.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 16:48   #8
BenKeith

Get the Extra Power kit for Wolff and their guide rod. Right now I'm shooting 165gr Golden Saber's with 12.0 grains of Blue Dot, they chrony 1,280 fps in the Glock barrel and 1,425 in the 6" LW barrel. For this load I'm using the 20# spring and for the way it's slinging the shells, I'm sure it would do just fine with a 22# or 24# spring. When I start working heavy loads of 180gr, I'm will be using the 24#
BenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 17:11   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objekt View Post

I have to buy a metal guide rod + one or more springs. I have no idea which spring will do the trick, so I pretty much have to buy the Wolff "calibration" package, which includes various levels of stronger-than-stock recoil springs.l

Curious as to what wasn't working with these loads. FTEs? FTFs? AM barrel by any chance?

I have cycled everything without a problem with either the stock setup or a Wolff 22# spring and non-captivated steel guide rod. Last week I had the Wolff spring in and shot some Buffalo Bore loads and some medium-hot 200 grain hand loads. I then switched to wimpy 165 grain puff balls. No problem. Although the felt recoil for light loads will increase with a heavier spring.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 17:13   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

...even with a 22# spring, brass still flies with heavy charges.
Old 04-26-2011, 21:46   #11
g29guy

I bought the wolff ss guide rod with a 23 lb spring for my 29. I also bought the calibration kit with 17,19,21,and 3 stock striker springs.

I have shot blazer and hornady xtp 180g, umc 180 grain, and hard cast 180 reloads loaded starting loads up to pretty stiff loads. Not one issue with any of the springs but I like the way the 23 pound feels, but the 23 pound is pretty stiff when racking the slide. The 21 is what i'd recommend for factory loads and the 23 for reloading.

*note*The heavier the spring the less brass you will be slinging to mars if you reload

I actually prefer the uncaptured guide rod because you can swap springs out easily without using tools and loc-tite.

Last edited by g29guy; 04-26-2011 at 21:47.. Reason: typo
g29guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24   #12
Objekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Curious as to what wasn't working with these loads. FTEs? FTFs? AM barrel by any chance?
Unresolvable FTF's with both the original and Lone Wolf barrels. I had a couple of threads about it elsewhere. Here's one: http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Glo...oa-t93871.html

Photo of an example attached, if you don't care to read the whole thread.

A stronger recoil spring is the only thing I haven't tried.
Attached Thumbnails
10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Objekt; 04-27-2011 at 09:29..
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29   #13
rjkobbeman

Depending on how you think, this may sound silly or it may sound smart. I actually bought three SS guide rods and three springs: stock, 20# and 22#. This way I just swap the guide rods when I am trying different springs.

In the end, the extra cost was only TWO guide rods because I was going to buy one anyway.

After all the testing I have done, I prefer the 20# for factory and semi-hot loads. I use the 22# for the hot and/or heavy grain loads.

The 22# spring tended to cycle slower on some factory and semi-hot loads... and failed to chamber / failed to go completely into battery with some of the weaker factory loads.

This was on my G20SF with a KKM barrel.

Last edited by rjkobbeman; 04-27-2011 at 09:31..
rjkobbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53   #14
Meathead9

I bought the non-captive Wolff guide rod & extra power spring kit. All I run now is a 24# Wolff, for both 10mm & 9x25 Dillon. It cycles everything from HOT loads (200grWFNGC/1416fps/6"barrel), to mouse farts (180gr/950fps/6" barrel). I will only buy Wolff 24# springs from now on, and I have never used the 20/19/17# springs that were included in the kit.

Last edited by Meathead9; 04-27-2011 at 10:55..
Meathead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 22:28   #15
alfred10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I use a captive 22# spring on a SS rod for hot and heavy loads, got it from the Glock Store.
What happens if you run a stock spring with heavy loads? Is there a spring that will allow double tap hard cast and still cycle standard 10mm ammo?
alfred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 22:51   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred10 View Post
What happens if you run a stock spring with heavy loads? Is there a spring that will allow double tap hard cast and still cycle standard 10mm ammo?
The stock spring cycles my heavy DT hardcast handloads just fine. For that matter I have had zero failures with any ammo using the stock spring. The difference being some heavier frame bang for the stout loads.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59   #17
Objekt

This is good. I feel lucky, so I think I'm going to buy the 22# spring and be done with it.

If that doesn't work, I'll give up and go back to shooting cast lead bullets only. I have some 170 gr. ones that work great in my G20 with the Lone Wolf barrel. I was hoping I could get the 220 gr. plated bullets to work, but we'll see.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17   #18
Objekt

I finally got around to buying the Wolff replacement guide rod and 22 lb. spring.

Really glad I didn't buy the multi-spring pack! The 22 lb. spring not only didn't work, it made the problem worse. The failures to feed got to the point where it looked as if rounds weren't even beginning to be picked up from the magazine. I suppose the slide must not have been opening enough to really get the feed cycle started.

So it seems I need a *weaker* than stock recoil spring, perhaps 15 lb., to make my 220 gr. reloads work.

I could also increase the power of the 220 gr. reloads. I do have some room to do that, as I've seen no signs of excessive pressure with a charge of as much as 8.8 gr. Blue Dot.

The 22 lb. spring did work with the cast lead, 170 gr. reloads. It probably saves wear and tear on the gun, if nothing else, so I'll continue using the 22 lb. spring with those loads.
Old 06-06-2011, 20:19   #19
Lammar72

I went with a 22lb spring on the G20 w KKM barrel. It seems to be fine and brass stays closer to my lane at the range. Slide release is a little tougher with the thumb though, but I prefer to hand rack anyway after replacing empty magazine.
Lammar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16   #20
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

For my 10mm reloads the stock and aftermarket springs have all worked just some work better with hotter loads.
I still have the stock recoil assembly and use it on non-max loads, easy enough to change out.