Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:32   #1
snowcrash75

bell carlson bipod issue

When I bought my 10/22 a few months ago, it came with a harris bipod and bell and carlson anschutz thumbhole stock. The bipod was constantly a little loose, so I would tighten it but it would never stay. Well, last night, the screw that the bipod mounts to popped right out, it just stripped itself out of whatever composite the stock is made of. When the bipod came off, I saw this is the third hole, so the previous owner had the same issue.

My question is, if I bought a hogue overmold with the swivels already attached, how deeply/securely are they mounted? The screw I had was only 1/4" and now im nervous about getting another composite stock and having it rip loose again over time.
snowcrash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 13:06   #2
vafish

Replace the short screw with a longer screw nut combination.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 19:29   #3
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash75 View Post
When I bought my 10/22 a few months ago, it came with a harris bipod and bell and carlson anschutz thumbhole stock. The bipod was constantly a little loose, so I would tighten it but it would never stay. Well, last night, the screw that the bipod mounts to popped right out, it just stripped itself out of whatever composite the stock is made of. When the bipod came off, I saw this is the third hole, so the previous owner had the same issue.

My question is, if I bought a hogue overmold with the swivels already attached, how deeply/securely are they mounted? The screw I had was only 1/4" and now im nervous about getting another composite stock and having it rip loose again over time.
I had a 10/22 Hogue overmold stock, and used it with a Harris bipod quite regularly with no problems at all. However, I'm also fairly careful not to ovetighten the mounting screw, as it exerts considerable force on the swivel stud, and can lever the stud out given time and a few impacts.

As vafish said (above), the machine-screw swivel with round knurled nut is a more secure system, but if there is not room between the inside stock surface and the barrel, the nut will have to be countersunk into the forend, and you also might have to shorten the screw. I bought a 12-pack of these swivels about 10 years ago, and I'm still working my way through them.

Finally, if there is a shallow hollow area in the forend, you might be able to use a #2 or #5 adapter. These are basically the same machine-screw swivel, but the nut is attached to a backer bar to spread the force inside the forend, preventing pull-through problems. This is what they look like:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=934186

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=404111

I've used these on many different type of stocks and forends (including AR-15 free-float tubes with stripped-out threaded holes, and synthetic thumbhole stocks with relatively thin forends), and never had one pull out.

...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-17-2011 at 19:30..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote