SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2011, 20:42   #1
rohanreginald
Novice

Ruger Hunter MKIII trigger issues

I am asking for some advice from the brain trust on a new Ruger MKIII Hunter that I just purchased. I took this pistol to the range and shot about 100 rounds through it. Holy crap is it accurate. However I encountered some trigger reset issues with it.

So I do the internet search and find out this is somewhat of a common problem. I read a lot about upgrading to volquartz hammer, sear, and trigger. This should alleviate the problem and give me a better trigger. It will cost me about $80.

I am a little pissed about what I paid for this gun and now it is recommended to fix this issue I should install some after market parts to make it 100%. So my question is do I send it back to Ruger or do I order the VQ parts and upgrade it myself.

I am not a gunsmith, but somewhat mechanically inclined. I think I could do the upgrade myself with a minimum of cursing.
Old 04-16-2011, 16:47   #2
deadite
Groovy.

When I picked up a new Mark III, the trigger had alot of gunk in it from the factory. It was something that a routine cleaning wouldn't get to. I would suggest a detail disassembly and cleaning. The problem most likely is the trigger/ plunger being gummed up.

My opinion is that, if you're going to detail strip it anyway, install a Volquartsen sear and trigger instead. You'll be much happier with your gun that way.

Btw, forget the Volquartsen hammer...it doesn't make any perceived difference and causes more problems than it fixes.

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 04-16-2011 at 16:51..
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 16:51   #3
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
When I picked up a new Mark III, the trigger had alot of gunk in it from the factory. It was something that a routine cleaning wouldn't get to. I would suggest a detail disassembly and cleaning. The problem most likely is the trigger/ plunger being gummed up.

My opinion is that, if you're going to detail strip it anyway, install a Volquartsen sear and trigger instead. You'll be much happier with your gun that way.

deadite
I would bet that Deadite hit on this 100%.

Mine had a thick preservative all over the trigger components.
It was almost like cosmoline.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 17:43   #4
98_1LE

Agreed. Your favorite gun scrubber spray should clear it up.

On the action, I would save your money on the aftermarket hammer. Get the Clark Custom pin & hammer bushing kit to clean up trigger creep (does away with the stupid mag safety also), a VQ sear to lighten the trigger pull, and if you want to reduce pretravel & over travel get the VQ trigger.

I have tried pretty much all the combination's plus had a gunsmith work the stock parks, and at any price the above combo wins. The VQ hammer may reduce lock time (amount of milliseconds it takes the hammer to fall) slightly, but drilling a hole in the stock hammer accomplishes the same thing. Save the $40. I have two pistols with the VQ Ti disconnector, could not detect a difference.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 19:28   #5
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Yea I agree with the above. I detail stripped mine after about 500rounds and just WOW. I had to go and buy a set of bronze brushes to scrap the crud off from the factory. It reminded me of Burnt motor oil sludge.

As far as mods go I would also suggest the VQ Trigger and Sear you don't have to do them cleaning the gunk out very will may fix it.

I gotta say thought before I added the Trigger and Sear my 22/45 was my 2nd favorite Trigger. Next to my Smith and Wesson 686 using single action pull. After installing the mods its my hands down favorite trigger I have it dialed in so perfect.

Just make sure if you do the Trigger mod to lock tight the trigger adjustment screws using blue lock tight other wise they can wiggle lose. I would also do it to the back sight (had my come off twice).

One other mod to look into and its a personal preference kinda thing is the MK II bushing mod. It removes the mag safety. Made a improvement on the way mine handled also. but its optional.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03   #6
rohanreginald
Novice

Thanks for all the responses. I will do a detail cleaning and then shoot it at the range again. Then I'll consider the mods to the trigger.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:06   #7
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanreginald View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I will do a detail cleaning and then shoot it at the range again. Then I'll consider the mods to the trigger.
These links will be very helpful to you:

http://guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

http://guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

http://guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm#reassemble

Good luck!

deadite
Old 04-17-2011, 15:45   #8
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

You know you don't have to mod the gun at all.
A lot of people are happy as hell with their stock guns.

I have shot a 22/45 for the last 15-20 years and was always happy with it.
It's fully stock.

I am also the type of person that usually can't leave well enough alone.
While the 22/45 is stock, my MKIII is not

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 17:12   #9
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Good point.

I have zero regrets about the Volquartsen upgrades, though. The trigger is easily one of my best.

deadite
Old 04-17-2011, 17:21   #10
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I agree with the guys above my gun was fine stock I like to tinker thought and found working on it a blast.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 19:35   #11
98_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
A lot of people are happy as hell with their stock guns.
Blasphemy.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 21:00   #12
rohanreginald
Novice

Thanks Deadite. Those are some great links!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41   #13
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanreginald View Post
Thanks Deadite. Those are some great links!

No problem. Those links helped me a ton.

deadite
Old 04-18-2011, 18:35   #14
JoeInKS

Let me steer you in a slightly different direction........

If you are having an issue with the trigger resetting on a new pistol, call Ruger. It's been my experience that their customer service is very responsive and quite good. Simply tell them the issue and chances are they will recommend something or simply just ask that you send it to them on their dime. I also have a Hunter model and mine has been flawless. In my opinion no gun should need a modification in order to run. That's simply not acceptable. I do though believe that since these weapons are mass produced, that there are some out there where your upper tolerances for components combine for a less than ideal situation. For that minimal percentage, you purchase pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc. from reputable vendors and rely on them to correct the situation. If they don't, you know enough to not support them in the future.

Good luck. It's a great pistol.
JoeInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00   #15
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
Let me steer you in a slightly different direction........

If you are having an issue with the trigger resetting on a new pistol, call Ruger. It's been my experience that their customer service is very responsive and quite good. Simply tell them the issue and chances are they will recommend something or simply just ask that you send it to them on their dime. I also have a Hunter model and mine has been flawless. In my opinion no gun should need a modification in order to run. That's simply not acceptable. I do though believe that since these weapons are mass produced, that there are some out there where your upper tolerances for components combine for a less than ideal situation. For that minimal percentage, you purchase pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc. from reputable vendors and rely on them to correct the situation. If they don't, you know enough to not support them in the future.

Good luck. It's a great pistol.
I would tend to agree, except that cleaning the packing grease out of a gun doesn't seem to be modifying the pistol...given, changing the trigger and sear out is and you shouldn't need a new trigger for the Mark III to work, but the difference the Volquartsen trigger makes is huge. The way I figure it is that, if I have the gun apart for a detail disassembly for a cleaning, I might as well upgrade the trigger. Just a personal preference.

I have noticed that the QC on the Mark III's isn't as good as past models. My Mark III was a nightmare with all the burrs. Disassembly is mildly difficult, anyway, but the difficulty level is really ramped up when you can't get the pieces back together due to inaccurate tolerances, etc. That's what originally led me to sell the Mark III and buy a used Mark II.

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 04-19-2011 at 06:00..