Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:33   #1
Veedubklown

Project: Iver Johnson restoration

Picked up an Iver Johnson .32 Smith & Wesson top-break 5 shot revolver fFor the kicks of it. I wanted a project I could restore, something that would be really neat. I've always loved top-break revolvers, reminds me of the cap guns I had as a kid.

A guy I work with found this pistol in a patch of dirt out mine hunting one day, about 15 years ago. He says he kicked it in the dirt and saw the front sight. Then dug it out. I bought it from him for $40.

General Firearms Forum

The cylinder is a bit pitted, but for the most part the pistol is in sound shape. From what I can tell, it's a late (3rd) model made after 1911. It's missing some parts, that have rotted away completely. The entire gun was covered in a thick layer of rust. Here is the barrel assembly after some time with CLR.

General Firearms Forum

Need to polish up the old metal and re-blue it, and it'll be ready for parts and assembly. Think I'll make new grips for it.

*edit to add*

This has come a very time-intensive project, as they all do, lol. The pitting in the steel is very severe, especially in some places like the inside of the trigger guard, sides of the frame, trigger, and a side of the barrel. This has become a huge metal-working effort to remove all the pitting while still maintaining the strength of the pistol. Lots of dremel, sand, and buff. I'm going to follow the build of this pistol in this thread, rather than start a new one.

Processes of restoration;

• remove rust (done)
  • remove pitting (done)
  • re-blue
  • restore internals to working order
  • Test fire
  • adjust sights
  • grips
I've fell in love with an option that was available for a few years (1906-1908), the Bourne Knuckleduster grip.
General Firearms Forum

I'm still working on seeing if it's legal, if so though, I think I can fab something up like that.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 12-12-2012 at 09:37..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45   #2
bac1023

Congrats!

Good luck with the project.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 18:21   #3
Veedubklown

Ya know bac, just seeing you in here is a compliment to me

General Firearms Forum

Here it is with the frame polished and blued, I have the trigger group ready to be polished, but I'm taking a moment to figure out the components I'm missing. I can already tell I'm missing;

• trigger return spring
  • cylinder lifter
  • safety transfer bar

I assume those components have just rotted away, aside from the grips it doesn't look like this was ever disassembled. I'm trying to find a clear picture of the internal workings of a late model hammerless .32, because the hammered trigger groups were different, and alot was different on the .38s. I've found a book by Bill Goforth, but it's about $30 that I'm waiting til I have to, to spend. Also found an e-book that I picked up for $8 that showed alot about the 3rd model hammered, and the early hammerless. Almost completely avoids the 3rd model hammerless though. So far, however, it's goin good.

The lockup is tight, the barrel is a little pitted, the cylinder looks in great shape and so the forcing cones. I think it'll shoot pretty well.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 12-12-2012 at 20:10.. Reason: Found some of the parts
Old 04-10-2011, 18:34   #4
r3dot

subscribed
r3dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:46   #5
HandyMan Hugh
NRA Life Member

Where will you get parts for that piece?
HandyMan Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:52   #6
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Congrats!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 22:17   #7
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMan Hugh View Post
Where will you get parts for that piece?
I was hoping to try Bob's Gun Parts, they have some of the stuff I need, looks like a few of the springs. The rest, I'm just likely going to whip out the dremel and some steel and get things to work. All the firing components look alright, so I'm okay with making internals. I am however, having trouble finding a good picture of a late model hammerless, to figure out exactly what the parts I am missing look like.
Old 04-10-2011, 22:30   #8
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Man that gun don't look bad at all. Its cleaned up nicely. I really hope you keep us updated I am curious to see how this build goes for ya and to see the final product.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19   #9
GAFinch

Cool project. Have you looked at Numrich for parts also?
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31   #10
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Cool project. Have you looked at Numrich for parts also?
Numrich has limited parts available for the new model hammerless safety. They're out of the few parts in their inventory that I could actually use, but I check back there often to see if parts are updated. I ordered Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993 last night, when that gets in I'm hoping it will have exploded parts diagrams for the new model hammerless. Then I can start making phone calls, once I know exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19   #11
Fox
Varmit Control

I am thinking that the Bourne Knuckleduster grip would be a great option for a three inch barrel J-frame S&W revolver today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:35   #12
Berto
woo woo

I have one like that in the family, belongs to my Uncle in Alameda. He found it in a parking lot, figgered it was used to knock off a hot dog stand or something.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56   #13
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I have one like that in the family, belongs to my Uncle in Alameda. He found it in a parking lot, figgered it was used to knock off a hot dog stand or something.
Think he'd let you borrow it for educational purposes? PM me if you want detailed dissasembly tips and feel like taking some pictures, if it is indeed a late model hammerless in .32 like mine. I'm having difficulty getting clear pictures of the parts I'm missing to make this pistol work =( I could probably make working replicas of parts from pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I am thinking that the Bourne Knuckleduster grip would be a great option for a three inch barrel J-frame S&W revolver today.
Totally. I'm looking at fabbing something up for this IJ, but if it works out well, I may consider making another for my Taurus .38 snubby.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-12-2011 at 12:58..
Old 04-14-2011, 20:09   #14
Black Train

My best response to picking up an Iver Johnson would be to put it down. I owned one years ago and it would not hit the side of a barn. Even if you were inside with the doors closed.

Good luck.
Black Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 20:16   #15
american lockpicker
License to Il

Interesting thread.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:25   #16
Veedubklown

I'm still hoping the GT braintrust comes with some solutions to my delimma of a missing operation diagram =D

I bought the book by W. Goforth, but haven't had luck finding the particular diagram I need.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05   #17
bac1023

I've got an Iver Johnson myself.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by bac1023; 06-12-2011 at 12:35..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 14:55   #18
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I've got an Iver Johnson myself.
I really dig the new owl head logo they made. Don't happen to have a late model hammerless to put on that signature carpet though, do ya?

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-26-2011 at 01:59..
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46   #19
Veedubklown

Just to keep people updated

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

I got the barrel cleaned up, polished, and blued. The ejector mechanism is all cleaned up and working, just need to clean up the cylinder and all the metal work will be done.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-26-2011 at 01:51..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55   #20
Rutha73

Have you tried these people yet? I was referred to them for hard to find parts. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=3868
Rutha73 is offline   Reply With Quote