Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:55   #41
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
...The LCR feels lighter than it is, and comes with features and looks that put it in the range of S&W's scandium M&P J-frames that cost twice as much.
I've long been a Smith & Wesson guy when it comes to DA revolvers, but I have to admit if I was just starting out in the snubby game, I'd be looking hard at the Ruger LCR. As you point out, the LCR is an outstanding value and more than competitive with the Sc J-Frames.

As for the (new/plastic) S&W "Bodyguard" revolver, there really is no comparison; IMO, the LCR blows it away. (Pun intended. ) In contrast, the S&W will probably go down in history as the first truly disposable revolver ever mass-produced in the US.
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19   #42
writwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
An Airweight is about the same weight as the 'plastic guns.' I'll stick with my Airweights.
The plastic guns trigger and ergos are superior to the Air weights. That seals the deal.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26   #43
Providence

I'm seriously considering buying an LCR .38. In fact I plan on getting it in a couple of weeks. But first I would like opinions. I own a couple of old full size S&W .38s and I've shot a snubbie (S&W 442), but I haven't been able to find an LCR to borrow/rent and shoot. So I'm buying blind.

Locally, the standard LCR is available. I can order the Tritium front sight and Crimson Trace models, and I'm willing to do that if I'm convinced it's the best option. So I read this thread with a lot of interest. I hope it continues.

To those of you with both S&W snubbie and the LCR, is the felt recoil similar?
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17   #44
Chup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
I'm seriously considering buying an LCR .38. In fact I plan on getting it in a couple of weeks. But first I would like opinions. I own a couple of old full size S&W .38s and I've shot a snubbie (S&W 442), but I haven't been able to find an LCR to borrow/rent and shoot. So I'm buying blind.

Locally, the standard LCR is available. I can order the Tritium front sight and Crimson Trace models, and I'm willing to do that if I'm convinced it's the best option. So I read this thread with a lot of interest. I hope it continues.

I have a 442 and a LCR 357. With 38+p the 442 is not to bad but the LCR 357 Blows it away. The 17oz. LCR 357 with Tamer Grip is very comfortable shooting +P Ammo. 357 Ammo was a little wild at first but, I have been shooting 357 Snubs for years and got used to it quick. The Tamer Grip makes shooting the 125JHP loads painless for me. I ordered and installed the X/S Night Sight. This gun has become my favorite 357 Snub to carry and shoot. I can shoot it pretty good and follow up shots are not a problem. The very smooth trigger makes for good accuracy. I always carry Two Snubs so the LCR 357 is One that is always with me. Sometimes I carry it with a 7 Shot Taurus 357, SP101 Ruger, or my 442. I still like that little 442 so I carry it as a Back up when I want to go with Two light weight guns. The LCR fits my pockets fine but, I don't ware tight fitting clothes. I may buy another one so I can carry Two but, I still like to rotate my other Snubs in to carry.

Last edited by Chup; 10-30-2011 at 08:19..
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35   #45
GoBigOrange

Quote:

I added the XS front site to my LCR and highly recommend it. It's amazing how accurate these little guns are. I love my LCR.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55   #46
otech

I've pocket carried an .38 LCR for more than a year and a half and shoot it at least 2x monthly. The trigger pull is smooth as butter IMO. I have larger hands and recoil may be a bit more manageable for me and the Hogue grips help to absorb it as well. Its so light in weight that I don't even notice it when I carry it, but this also contributes to the felt recoil.

At the range I'll sometimes use cowboy loads for practice and its like shooting a .22 and cheaper to practice mechanics with. I'll always finish the session with full loads. I painted the front sight with some modeling paint and touch up is easy when needed. I use a strip loader as it is easy to carry in my other pocket. For me it took a lot practice to become reasonably proficient using it.

In the winter I carried my SP101 as it was easier to conceal, but anymore I simply stuff the LCR in my pocket and go about my day. I'm thinking about getting the .357 LCR to replace this one as my carry weapon for the added ballistics. Its a well designed and manufactured double action and you have to shoot it to appreciate it.

(This has been a paid political announcement.)
otech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:44   #47
Providence

Thanks for all the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otech View Post
At the range I'll sometimes use cowboy loads for practice and its like shooting a .22 and cheaper to practice mechanics with.
Is this a load you can buy, or are these reloads?
Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18   #48
otech

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Is this a load you can buy, or are these reloads?
Edited for a better answer

.38spl. I use 158gr RNFP bullet. Winchester Small Pistol primers, and 3.0 grains of Titegroup powder.

Last edited by otech; 10-30-2011 at 10:46.. Reason: Better answer
otech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28   #49
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by otech View Post
.38spl. I use 158gr RNFP bullet. Winchester Small Pistol primers, and 3.0 grains of Titegroup powder.
Thanks!
Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17   #50
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
An Airweight is about the same weight as the 'plastic guns.' I'll stick with my Airweights.
If I already had an Airweight that was filling the bill I would say the same thing.

But I haven't owned a snubbie in 15 years and since I am about to go shopping for one I am going to keep an open mind.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44   #51
Providence

Since I posted a question about the LCR, I'll post my outcome. I went into the store planning to purchase an LCR. But it was a little higher than I remembered ($399), and the S&Ws were a little cheaper than I remembered ($329). I stood there for 30 minutes trying to decide. The guys behind the counter were patient, and even offered their opinions. All owned S&Ws and, none owned LCRs. But they all wanted LCRs.

In the end I got the 442. It is easier for me to pocket carry, and that for me was the bottom line. I would still love to shoot an LCR. Hell, I'd still love to own an LCR! The 442 isn't too "snappy", but it isn't really a range gun. And I'm not sure how accurate I'm going to be with it. But it is small and well-built! Wife carried it last night.
Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22   #52
KennyFSU
What to wear...

Great choice!
KennyFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:27   #53
up1911fan

I love my LCR, but you can't go wrong with a J-Frame. I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18   #54
G19aps

Quote:
It is easier for me to pocket carry, and that for me was the bottom line.
You know there is a Boot Grip for the LCR that makes it as pocketable as a J frame. Then you'll have the lighter gun, with a better trigger, and with the ability to add the XS sights.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22   #55
G19aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.
My first J frame was a 642 and when the M&P340 hit the market I bought one b/c the XS sight was so much easier to use under stress. I still only shoot .38s through it and it recoils plenty for me.

Then I got a .38 LCR with the XS front sight. With the Hogue boot grips on it compared to the M&P340 the LCR is 1.1oz lighter and it cost me $250 less, has a better trigger and it hurts less to shoot it b/c even the Hogue Boot Grips have a small gel insert.
Old 11-07-2011, 15:54   #56
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
I love my LCR, but you can't go wrong with a J-Frame. I've got an LCR with XS front sight and I still have an urge to get an M&P340.
I know. It was a difficult decision, and I wish I could have said, "I'll them 'em both!" On the bight side, I walked out the door with IWB and pocket holsters and the gun, all for under $400.
Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 11-08-2011, 20:03   #57
Ganesh
Okie 4 Life

Gotta admit...I own a S&W 340 M&P. Very light, very easy to drop in a pocket or stick on yer hip. Tho she is a walk in hell to shoot .357s out of. If Ruger came out with the LCR sooner, I would have probably owned one....definately in the newer .357 version. Ive shot em and I actually like em better than my twice as much Smith.

Since Ive sold off my GP100 and SP101....I'll probably buy one of those for my main shootin. Just too darn painfull these days to put 400+ rounds down range outta my Smith these days. Figure a box outta the smith + 2 cylinders of my carry choice and the rest outta a tank like the sp101 would be just about perfect.
Glock 18(still in my dreams)
Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 23:15   #58
opr1945

From what I can see on the web the plastic revolvers don't weigh any less than the titanium metal revolvers. so what is the advantage of plastic over metal?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55   #59
G19aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
From what I can see on the web the plastic revolvers don't weigh any less than the titanium metal revolvers. so what is the advantage of plastic over metal?
When you were looking, did you notice any difference in price?
Old 12-27-2011, 15:02   #60
opr1945

actually I did not look at price. In a self defense gun, for me price is not that big a deal. So I save a few bucks and then the gun doesn't work when I need it. I rather spend more and have it work when I need it.

Bud's has new J frames starting at $361 and they go up.

The body guard starts at $418, but comes with an awkward laser sight.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...Path/21_39_922