SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2011, 21:19   #21
GoBigOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
I have an LCR with the XS standard dot sight and the boot grip.

If it had the standard grip it would be easier to shoot. The trigger is nicer than a factory S&W by leaps and bounds. XS sights are fantastic, of course. Recoil to me feels about the same as a S&W 642, which I have also owned.

I actually think it's a rather attractive gun.
FYI, I think you can order the standard grip from Ruger and IIRC they are very affordable. $20-30 I think.
Old 04-06-2011, 21:40   #22
up1911fan

I think the standard grips maybe to much for pocket carry, hoping the CTC's split the difference.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:48   #23
GoBigOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
I think the standard grips maybe to much for pocket carry, hoping the CTC's split the difference.
all a matter of opinion I guess. My LCR has the standard grips and pocket carry is the only way it gets carried. It's been fine for me. I'd really like to get the CT grips but they are made from a hard plastic and I prefer the rubber. This gun has enough recoil with the standard grips I couldn't imagine it would be very fun with hard plastic grips.

YMMV
Old 04-06-2011, 22:17   #24
up1911fan

I may try a Houge sleeve over the CTC's if it's to uncomfortable to shoot. I really like CTC's on a smaller gun, just wish the LCR version was more along the lines of the LG405.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16   #25
G19aps

I have the standard and the boot grip. The standard is just a little thicker but it's much more comfortable to practice with than the boot grip. I can pocket carry in the same pockets that I carried a J frame in. Also, the standard grip is more forgiving of a less than perfect grip when drawing from the pocket, the boot grip seems to feel like it's always going to pop out of my hand if I don't grab it just right. I would like to shoot one with the Crimson Trace grips on it but I think it may hurt the most of the 3 grips.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 19:56   #26
up1911fan

I believe the LCR CTC grip has a soft rubber backing, just hard on the sides, similar to the LG405 for J Frames.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54   #27
WMDoug
Keep&Bear Arms

I am taking delivery today of a Ruger LCR with the crimson trace grip. I will go to the range afterward and report back on shoot and feel. I am currently a G19 owner so I suspect I am in for some surprises regarding recoil! I cannot wait!
WMDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:27   #28
up1911fan

Yeah i'm going to order the CTC's this week myself.
Old 04-11-2011, 15:29   #29
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Didn't even know they made them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 13:37   #30
WMDoug
Keep&Bear Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMDoug View Post
I am taking delivery today of a Ruger LCR with the crimson trace grip. I will go to the range afterward and report back on shoot and feel. I am currently a G19 owner so I suspect I am in for some surprises regarding recoil! I cannot wait!
I know it isn't classy to quote yourself but...I forget to get back regarding the Ruger LCR range report. I only took 50 rounds with me and am glad that is all. Wow! That dog has a bark and bite! I am so used to my G19 with it's almost complete lack of recoil and hand impact that I was surprised at the kick from the Ruger .38 LCR. I will say this, the crimson trace is awesome. It was set up for 50 feet out of the box and I was never more than 8 yards at the range, but I could clearly appreciate the whole "what you see is what you get!" aspect to it.

Back to the gun. I had no idea what to expect prior to the first trigger pull. I have never fired a revolver. Watching the cylinder rotate during the trigger pull was something I didn't expect. (You guys forget what is was like to be a newbie!) It was hard to concentrate and I was all over the place. Heck I didn't even know how to hold it correctly. So I slowed down and used only the gun sights and started to get some very nice groups at 25 feet.

I have been dry firing a lot and have found a nice position right before the hammer strikes where the cylinder has already rotated and is ready to fire. All it needs is one more quarter of a ounce of pull to light it up. If used in a SHTF scenario, I doubt I will ever have that luxury, but it felt good to know a little bit more about the trigger pull and firing.

My only issue with the gun is I would like some markings on the sights. They are all black and need some contrast. I am going to work on that. This gun is fun to shoot and will be my EDC when my CPL comes in. It will live in a pocket holster and my G19 will live in my nightstand...for a while anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 20:47   #31
G19aps

Glad you liked it. Regarding the front sight, there are a few replacement available you can see them at shopruger. Or you can paint it. Put a base coat or two of white on first and then your color of choice. I've used florescent orange in the past.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 13:49   #32
up1911fan

I'd get the XS front sight if I were you, well worth the money and makes picking up the front sight simple and FAST!
Old 04-24-2011, 00:16   #33
WMDoug
Keep&Bear Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by up1911fan View Post
I'd get the XS front sight if I were you, well worth the money and makes picking up the front sight simple and FAST!

I did and you are right. It locks right in place regardless of background. Great suggestion. This is my carry gun.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10   #34
bel970

I've got a S&W bodyguard, it's a little lighter than the air weights, outside of the appearance it has little to nothing in common with the rest of the S&W wheel guns, cylinder even indexes the opposite direction. the integrated laser is not my flavor (don't have much use for them outside of trigger control training).

little dog with a big bark, 25-30 rounds of +p is enough for my hand for a range trip.

I like the 642/442 better, but a friend needed money more than the gun.
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:48   #35
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Just in case your wondering I got a S&W 637 Chief special.
Not a bad choice at all. I've had mine for about 9 years, and it's been a solid shooter. Been shooting it in the backyard a bit lately, and I'm still impressed with how accurate that short barrel is.

I carried it pretty much exclusively as an EDC gun 'till last July; now I switch to or add a G23 sometimes.

Daryl

Molon Labe!

Last edited by Daryl in Az; 05-20-2011 at 06:50..
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:34   #36
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
So does anyone own a Polymer snub nose revolver.

When I went to check out the different snub nose revolvers I noticed the LCR something new kinda different but i just wasn't for me at this time.

I prefer a metal body snub nose but that don't mean I ain't curious about the Plastic Revolvers people are putting out.

Will my google fu lead me to some pretty mixed reviews on the LCR. Seems like some people are complaining about Flame cutting with in the first 500 rounds and having to send them back.

So has anyone else experienced this problem and is the Plastic Revolver just a fad or something here to stay.

Would you own a Plastic revolver your self?

Just in case your wondering I got a S&W 637 Chief special.

An Airweight is about the same weight as the 'plastic guns.' I'll stick with my Airweights.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 14:37   #37
Gregg702
Gold Membership

I just picked up an LCR .357. It has some polymer, but it is steel where it counts. I only have 20 rounds of .357 and about 10 rounds of .38 so far, but I like it already, and I have been carrying it for the past week, instead of my 642.
The Snubbie Club

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 14:50   #38
Mad Trapper

Mine goes everywhere with me. I find that the boot grip is better for carry, the regular grip was better for shooting. I carry it more then I shoot it so the boot grip is best for me. The XS night sight is great.
Mad Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 13:11   #39
abimelech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel970 View Post
I've got a S&W bodyguard, it's a little lighter than the air weights, outside of the appearance it has little to nothing in common with the rest of the S&W wheel guns, cylinder even indexes the opposite direction. the integrated laser is not my flavor (don't have much use for them outside of trigger control training).

little dog with a big bark, 25-30 rounds of +p is enough for my hand for a range trip.

I like the 642/442 better, but a friend needed money more than the gun.
+1
I ahve the same revolver and a Ruger SP101. If I want range time I take the Ruger, but you can't beat the BG .38 for pocket carry.
Old 06-21-2011, 13:15   #40
SamRudolph

The flame cutting was due to a bad batch of aluminum frames in a group of early production LCRs. This is no longer an issue.

The LCR feels lighter than it is, and comes with features and looks that put it in the range of S&W's scandium M&P J-frames that cost twice as much.
SamRudolph is offline   Reply With Quote