Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2013, 13:00   #1
TheBigCroaker

P380 _ Range Report - Caution A Long Post

Bought a brand new Kahr P380 a few weeks ago. Picked the P380 mostly from good reports I had heard/read. Gun cost $521 total including tax; ordered for me by my local FFL (a pawn shop). Gun came with 2 magazines; a six round and an extended seven round mag with a little extra pinky grip.

Took 3 days to get the gun.

Ammunition was more problematic; hard to find. Eventually managed to get about 300 rounds total of 5 different brands/types. I wanted to try a variety and see what worked best. Average cost was about .66 round except for two boxes of Buffalo Bore which was about $1/round.
Ammo bought was:
Fiocchi: 90gr JHP
COPS: 80gr (copper) JHP
International: 90gr JHP
Armscor: 95gr FMJ
Buffalo Bore: 100rg JH(flat head)

I cleaned and lubed the gun according to the manufacturer's instructions before heading to the firing line.

The first 100 rounds fired were DISMAL. Used Fiocci, COPS, and International. Out of 100 rounds, I had 22 Failure to Feeds (FTF); mostly the slide not going completely into battery either on loading or between shots. Also occasionally the magazines were difficult to drop out.

Well, I thought, got me a DUD here. So I did a little internet research (including on this site). The consensus seemed to be (even from Kahr itself) that you needed to burn thru 200 rounds to break the gun in and then everything would work OK. Needless to say I was skeptical; especially as an owner of 3 Glocks, all of which ran perfectly right out of the box (except for my Gen 4 Glock 19 and its brass to the face issue - since resolved).

Off to the firing line again, after I got the rest of my ammo; the Armscor and Buffalo Bore. Fired another 134 rounds (of all of the 5 types/brands of ammo) with the following results:
A total of five more FTFs in rounds 101 thru 166, including one hangup while chambering a round. One FTF was with the Armscor; three with the Fiocci. Most of what 'm calling FTF the round actually chambered but the slide did not go completely into battery (forward) - requiring a light tap from me on the back end of the slode.
So, things were getting much better than from the initial 100 rounds fired.
From rounds 167 to 234 only had one problem; that on round fired number 202 with an International round. Don't know what happened but after I fired the first round in the magazine, the magazine dropped out and the slide was locked in battery (all the way forward) as if ready to fire again - but only a "click" when I squeezed the trigger. I inspected the magazine (looked OK) and determained that there was not another round in the chamber. Still couldn't get the slide to cycle. Put the magazine back in; fiddled around with it for a while and finally got it working. Chambered a round and fired. Gun worked fine for the last 32 rounds fired.
Recap:
After the initial 100 rounds fired, with 22 problems; I had 5 FTFs (and slide lock problem) in the next 102 rounds; and ZERO problems on rounds 202 thru 234.

So maybe they were right, Kahr's need a good 200 round breaking-in period.
I figure in the last 70 rounds or so, I only had one problem - with the mag dropping and slide locking.

Also, throughout the pistol's accuracy seemed to be very good. For an old guy with tired eyes, the gun seems more accurate than I'll ever be.

As an aside, the Buffalo Bore 100gr ammo kicks like a mule; my trigger finger was sore from the trigger guard after firing only seven rounds of it. A pisser (although expected from my research of BB) because I plan to use this ammo as my carry stuff in this back-up gun. My primary carry will still be either my Glock 27 (40cal) or my Glock 21 (45cal).

The reason I made this long post is not to feed the Trolls but because I would like some feedback from other Kahr P380 owners detailing their experiences with their guns and breaking-in trials and tribulations. I would appreciate your comments and any advice you would care to offer me.

Respectfully,
TheBigCroaker
TheBigCroaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41   #2
Boot Stomper

Thanks for the excellent post.

My father has a Kahr CW9 and just loves it. It has been a very reliable and fun gun for him. Enjoy the gun.

My dad bought his used (2 years old) and it shot 100% right from the get go. The previous owner was nice enought to break it in.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 07-10-2013 at 05:43..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 18:48   #3
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCroaker View Post
Bought a brand new Kahr P380 a few weeks ago. Picked the P380 mostly from good reports I had heard/read. Gun cost $521 total including tax; ordered for me by my local FFL (a pawn shop). Gun came with 2 magazines; a six round and an extended seven round mag with a little extra pinky grip.

Took 3 days to get the gun.

Ammunition was more problematic; hard to find. Eventually managed to get about 300 rounds total of 5 different brands/types. I wanted to try a variety and see what worked best. Average cost was about .66 round except for two boxes of Buffalo Bore which was about $1/round.
Ammo bought was:
Fiocchi: 90gr JHP
COPS: 80gr (copper) JHP
International: 90gr JHP
Armscor: 95gr FMJ
Buffalo Bore: 100rg JH(flat head)

I cleaned and lubed the gun according to the manufacturer's instructions before heading to the firing line.

The first 100 rounds fired were DISMAL. Used Fiocci, COPS, and International. Out of 100 rounds, I had 22 Failure to Feeds (FTF); mostly the slide not going completely into battery either on loading or between shots. Also occasionally the magazines were difficult to drop out.

Well, I thought, got me a DUD here. So I did a little internet research (including on this site). The consensus seemed to be (even from Kahr itself) that you needed to burn thru 200 rounds to break the gun in and then everything would work OK. Needless to say I was skeptical; especially as an owner of 3 Glocks, all of which ran perfectly right out of the box (except for my Gen 4 Glock 19 and its brass to the face issue - since resolved).

Off to the firing line again, after I got the rest of my ammo; the Armscor and Buffalo Bore. Fired another 134 rounds (of all of the 5 types/brands of ammo) with the following results:
A total of five more FTFs in rounds 101 thru 166, including one hangup while chambering a round. One FTF was with the Armscor; three with the Fiocci. Most of what 'm calling FTF the round actually chambered but the slide did not go completely into battery (forward) - requiring a light tap from me on the back end of the slode.
So, things were getting much better than from the initial 100 rounds fired.
From rounds 167 to 234 only had one problem; that on round fired number 202 with an International round. Don't know what happened but after I fired the first round in the magazine, the magazine dropped out and the slide was locked in battery (all the way forward) as if ready to fire again - but only a "click" when I squeezed the trigger. I inspected the magazine (looked OK) and determained that there was not another round in the chamber. Still couldn't get the slide to cycle. Put the magazine back in; fiddled around with it for a while and finally got it working. Chambered a round and fired. Gun worked fine for the last 32 rounds fired.
Recap:
After the initial 100 rounds fired, with 22 problems; I had 5 FTFs (and slide lock problem) in the next 102 rounds; and ZERO problems on rounds 202 thru 234.

So maybe they were right, Kahr's need a good 200 round breaking-in period.
I figure in the last 70 rounds or so, I only had one problem - with the mag dropping and slide locking.

Also, throughout the pistol's accuracy seemed to be very good. For an old guy with tired eyes, the gun seems more accurate than I'll ever be.

As an aside, the Buffalo Bore 100gr ammo kicks like a mule; my trigger finger was sore from the trigger guard after firing only seven rounds of it. A pisser (although expected from my research of BB) because I plan to use this ammo as my carry stuff in this back-up gun. My primary carry will still be either my Glock 27 (40cal) or my Glock 21 (45cal).

The reason I made this long post is not to feed the Trolls but because I would like some feedback from other Kahr P380 owners detailing their experiences with their guns and breaking-in trials and tribulations. I would appreciate your comments and any advice you would care to offer me.

Respectfully,
TheBigCroaker
My P380 took 600 rounds to break in, but it is brilliant now. You will really enjoy it!
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 20:53   #4
Mike from Texas

Mine has been very good so far. I haven't kept as detailed records as you have but I don't recall many issues at all so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
A few ARs
870 Express Tactical, Mossberg 930 SPX
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45   #5
Pier23

At the 300 round mark, I contacted Kahr to see if they knew what the issue was. They sent a new recoil spring. Not sure it made any difference, but my Kahr CS experience was very good.

The pistol DOES sort itself out.

It IS vexing that a not-particularly cheap weapon requires such a breakin, but you kinda know that with Kahrs.

NOW, having said that, I got a new Kahr CW9 and that has been perfect from day one out of the box.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 20:50   #6
C6vetter

My Kahr CM9 had the same issues and they didnt stop. Kahr customer circus sucked. If it doesnt work out of the box, ditch it. My cheap LCP and wifes Sig P238 Equinox have been flawless from round #1. Ammo and your time are worth more than 'sorting' a firearm out. You will always have doubt.
C6vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 23:44   #7
mattallamerican

200.00 taurus tcp has ate over 600 rounds of mixed ammo without a failer
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 23:57   #8
Adams454

My Kahr CM9 has been perfect through the first 400 rounds or so. I haven't had any issues at all. It's as boringly reliable as my glocks. And it's accurate. I can shoot a 3" group at 25 yards pretty much all day. And that's good enough for me.

One of you turds is about to get smacked in the mouth. - Texas Ranger Bobby
Adams454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51   #9
TheBigCroaker

Brief Update - Range Report Kahr P-380

Ran another 100 rounds thru my new P-380.

50 rounds of cheap Korean PMC 90gr. FMJ and 50 rounds of cheaper PPU (Serbian???) 94gr. FMJ.

The PMC had one failure to go fully into battery after the first shot, otherwise no problems. Very mild recoil, probably because only 90gr.

The 50 rounds of PPU went thru flawlessly.

This brings my total breaking in to around 350 rounds.
The pistol seems to be settling down and becoming reliable. I figure another 200 rounds (if other posts are to be believed) and I should have a very reliable gun that will eat just about any ammo. I don't think I'll run any steelcased ammo thru it.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08   #10
bac1023

You have more patience than I, but hopefully it works out well.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17   #11
newgene

I'm curious how the break-in is going now.
newgene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:11   #12
Upstate Glocker

I'm in the market for a .380 and have narrowed it to an LCP or the P380. I've got a PM9 that took over 300 rounds to break in; very frustrating and I sent it back to Kahr but its working fine now. Have looked at the Taurus but am not sold on reliability. I also have a Seecamp LWS32 but don't think I could hit anything with that small a weapon in .380 -- there are limits to my shooting skills.

OP -- as you run more rounds thru the P380 would be much appreciated if you gave us a running commentary on whether the P380 has settled in and is digesting rounds without those annoying jams. Thanks for your information.
Upstate Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:24   #13
TheBigCroaker

NewGene/UpstateGlocker:
Will probably run another 100 rounds thru it soon; will keep yoou posted.
Overall, I'm liking the gun and it's accuracy more each time I fire it.
tbc
Old 09-11-2013, 18:20   #14
Boot Stomper

A few months back I picked up a used Ruger LCP 380. The gun has been flawless for me. About 200 round with no issue. Another nice point about the Ruger are the availability of accessories on the market for the product. Holsters, grips, triggers and sights. Good little pocket gun.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 23:07   #15
CanMan

My P380 ran great right out of the box... PM9, not so much. I too felt that Kahr's customer service was less than stellar. Almost seems like it's a hit or miss with the Polymer frame Kahrs.
S&W Club #43
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 23:58   #16
Johncola36

I have the p380 and in the first 400 rounds I had about a dozen instances where I would have to tap the back of the slide to get into battery. I called Kahr and got a hold of Ian, he told me to run a few more boxes of ammo.

I cleaned it up, went back to the range and had no more problems. It seems to have smoothed out. I have put around 600 different rounds since then ranging from S&B to critical defense and it works fine.

Great trigger, Great sights, Just with the slide stop wasn't so big

Last edited by Johncola36; 09-13-2013 at 00:11.. Reason: forgot to add a sentence
Johncola36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25   #17
Berto
woo woo

Hopefully it will settle down for you.....at the very least, you'll have lots of clearance drills under your belt and be ready for another recoil spring by the time it's broken in.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:12   #18
newgene

I would like to hear some more of these types of reviews where we can see how well the guns break in. The price tag and horror stories upon breakin have kept me away from this gun. Other than that (which is a lot), the size and caliber make it a great pocket carry gun.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18   #19
TheBigCroaker

Last Range Report:

Ran another 50 rounds thru the P380; cheap, underpowered PMC 90gr. FMJ.
Gun ran flawlessly.
This brings a total of about 400 rounds; in the last approx 150 rounds only only one glitch; had to tap the back of the slide on one occasion to get the slide into full battery (could have been from week ammo???).
In the last 150 or so rounds, no problems.
Although I will remain cautious until I put another few hundred rounds thru it, I am now pretty comfortable with the reliability of the gun. As a mouse-gun, it will always be relegated to a back-up or backup's backup, I have confidence in it now.
I have found it is great to carry in an inexpensive Remora ankle rig with a piece of 1" foam eggcrate packing cut out to match the gun's contour between my ankle and the holster; after 10 minutes you almost forget you're wearing it. This Remora rig is their ($30) combination that also works well for in pocket and IWB carry.

To summarize and close out my range report, I offer the following opinion of the Kahr P380:

Cons:
Expensive for its class;
Underpowered round for defense (as of all in its class), recomend a beafy ammo like the Buffalo Bore;
Requires a break-in (unlike my Glocks);
Small size takes a mild contortion to get my booger-picker on the go button (ie finger on the trigger);
Take-down/reassemble process slightly more difficult than other guns (linig up the slide taking out/replacing the pin).

Pros:
Very light and concealable (as most in its class) and comfortable to carry;
Very accurate;
Great trigger;
Well engineered and well made, feels like a quality product;
Magazines sturdy and well made;
Dependable/reliable (after break-in);
Eats all ammo I've tried;
Made in USA;
Have heard Kahr has good customer service.

Conclusion:
I like the Kahr P380.
Although I have not had the opportunity to personally compare it to other makes such as Ruger's LCP; it gives me the perception of a quality tool that will give me many years of faithful service.
Even considering the cost difference versus other 380's, I would buy it again.

Thanks
for the opportunity to share my new gun experience with you. Hope it helps and/or enlightens you.

TheBigCoaker
Old 10-14-2013, 12:03   #20
mitchg233

Con: you never know when it will screw up.

I don't think they are a reliable carry weapon. At ANY round count, EVEN with new springs, you can get an awkward *click*. That is my experience with a CW9, PM9, and K9, none of which I own anymore. And yes I do know all about Kahr customer service and shipping pistols to and back. Their CZ is between awesome and lazy, depending on who is in charge. With a good (threatening) phone attitude I got them to pay every shipping charge.

To be clear, right out of the box reliability (which some claim, but never happened to me) doesn't mean it won't be a less than lethal paperweight down the road.
mitchg233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:29   #21
TheBigCroaker

Mitch, I appreciate your comments and experiences, but my reports are about a P 380 not a 9mm Kahr. Might there be a difference in performance between the two different calibers and four different models? Do all firearms manufacturers have exactly the same performance and reliability with every model and caliber they produce?
I don't want to get into a pissing match, but your comments just don't seem relevant to me and my gun.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35   #22
TheBigCroaker

delete - duplicate post x x x

Last edited by TheBigCroaker; 10-15-2013 at 04:41.. Reason: delete - duplicate
Old 10-22-2013, 00:15   #23
mitchg233

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCroaker View Post
Mitch, I appreciate your comments and experiences, but my reports are about a P 380 not a 9mm Kahr. Might there be a difference in performance between the two different calibers and four different models? Do all firearms manufacturers have exactly the same performance and reliability with every model and caliber they produce?
I don't want to get into a pissing match, but your comments just don't seem relevant to me and my gun.
Different caliber, same design.

Quote:
in the last approx 150 rounds only only one glitch; had to tap the back of the slide on one occasion to get the slide into full battery
In the LAST 150.......a failure. My K9 and Pm9 did the same thing, at unpredictable times, after more than 1000 and 600 rounds. (the CW9 had many more problems which I have related here). They are jewels of guns, but I wouldn't and don't carry them.

Sorry if it sounded like a pissing match, but they are only almost perfect. Some guns, reliability wise, are perfect.

Last edited by mitchg233; 10-22-2013 at 00:16..
mitchg233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42   #24
newgene

I know it's not the 380 model, but I finally broke down and bought the cm9. I read the horror stories, but I have not had one malfunction. However, I did do a few things before even firing it. I field stripped it and oiled the heck out of it. I must have then racked the slide every chance I had for several days. I also kept the slide locked back for several days to compress the spring. If the issue is due to springs that are too stiff from the factory, that may explain why mine ran well. Not sure. Another thing I noticed was the amount of small plastic shavings that came off while racking the slide. Malfunctions may also be due to friction from the slide trying to find its least resistive path.

So far, it has only been around a box, but it ran fine with both fmj and jhp.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41   #25
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Good report, I've had a number of Kahrs in 9, .40 and .45 and they all ran great. There were a couple of bobbles with a few of them from time to time but nothing major. I clean them good I first get them, lube it up liberally and quickly cycle the slide by hand at least 500-700 times in spurts of 50. It may not exactly be like firing a round through it, but it does seem to work since I've had very few problems and yet reading online you'd come away thinking Kahrs didn't work...which isn't true.

My only Kahr at the moment is a CM40 and it's been very good, shoots nicely and is accurate. I'm very pleased with it but would seriously consider adding their CW380 if it Kahr ever decides to release it to the public!

Last edited by SDGlock23; 10-23-2013 at 07:42..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote