SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2011, 16:58   #1
Alan Antopol

Springfield Omega 10mm Questions

Folks,

Have some questions about the Springfield 10mm Omega. First, is it a well made, reliable pistol? Second, what sort of relatively available magazines can be used in one? What's a reasonable price for one with about 100 rounds fired through it? Roughly how much should it cost to have an ambi safety installed in one? Any suggestions as to which ambi safety?

Thanks! Happy Saturday! Alan
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18   #2
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

The 10mm is too powerful for New Yorkers.

This is why they don't allow handguns there.

I have no idea about Springfield Omega, but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt coming from that company.

Do they or have they ever made poor guns? I can't personally think of any.
Old 04-03-2011, 20:39   #3

This is from the Springfield website.
Omega - The Omega's frame is basically a standard 1911 Government model, but the slide assembly is a special design and was available in both 5" and 6" versions with either a standard blued finish or satin hard chrome (the frame was blued regardless of barrel length or slide finish). Designed by Joe Peters of Peters Stahl in Germany (West Germany at the time) the Omega slide had a number of unique features. First off, it used a linkless "modified Browning cam-lock" system. Also, since the Omega was designed to be a multi-caliber gun where only the barrel, and possibly recoil spring would need to be swapped out, Joe Peters and Tim Dillon (from Springfield Armory) designed the slide to make use of dual-extractors so that cartridges with different case head dimensions (including the 9mm, .38 Super, .38 Special Wadcutter, 10mm and .45 Auto) could be reliably extracted and ejected. Finally, these guns were available with "integral vent ports" to reduce muzzle flip. Though these guns are highly sought after by collectors, there were problems with parts breakage and since Joe Peters and Springfield Armory have terminated their partnership on the project spare parts are no longer available from either Springfield Armory or Peters Stahl.
Old 04-04-2011, 20:17   #4
bac1023

Omegas are cool pistols.

I wouldn't mind owning one myself at some point.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58   #5
BruceO

It's my understanding that parts are available from Peter Stahl in Germany. The most problematic part was the old style guide rod assembly, which tended to crack and fail. Peter Stahl redesigned the part on later pistols to remedy that situation.

My Omega is very accurate but persnickety about what it's fed, accuracy wise due to the polygonal rifling IMO.

Last edited by BruceO; 04-05-2011 at 12:00..
BruceO is offline   Reply With Quote