Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:01   #1
SGUSA

5.11 Holster Shirt Opinions

I've been looking at the 5.11 Holster Shirt for Concealed Carry. What is your opinion of this shirts quality, fit and function?

[URL="http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html"]5.11 Holster Shirt[/URL]
SGUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04   #2
Phantom465

I was wondering the same thing. I have a G30, and I'm considering that as one of my carry options.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08   #3
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

I have zero experience w/ that shirt. But if it's like any other 5.11 product it should be well made and work very well for you. I own a number of different 5.11 things and overall they're all very good.

If you do decide to buy one, shop around. 5.11 home website tends to be more expensive than other places. But not always. It does seem that 5.11s price have gone up some in the past year, for whatever reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08   #4
oem3105

I've worn mine 7-8 times now and it is very comfortable. I've carried a Ruger LCP and a stubby Ruger SP101 without any issues. The LCP is so light that I forgot it was there a time or two. To help eliminate rubbing at the seams, I will wear a "wife-beater" t-shirt under it. This is a decent deep-concealment option but it does not allow for a lightning fast draw.

The one I have is the older v-neck. 5.11 now has these with a crew neck which I may pick up soon. Also, the one in the picture on the 5.11 site shows the holster portion of the shirt in grey. I believe thay have changed it to all black now.

Hope this helps and Be Safe!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14   #5
MarcoPolo

Mine is several years old, but here is my experience after having worn it a couple dozen times:

1. If fits SNUG. I would buy at least 1 size larger than your normal undershirt.
2. It will wick sweat, but seems to be pretty warm to me.
3. I've carried all the way to a G19 and spare mag in mine under a dress shirt with no problems.
4. It will allow some movement of the gun, so orientation will not always be the same.
5. This is not the rig if you think someone may hug you. If you can prevent, make sure your carry arm stays pinned, and under theirs or they will bump the gun.

This is not quick access at all, but it is deep concealment. My recommendation would be to wear a tie and have a couple of the buttons under the tie undone for quicker access. I've also heard of folks that use it sewing the buttons permanently on the "eye" and then backing with velcro for quicker access.

The shirts are hot, which is why I don't wear them often.

Hope this helps!

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18   #6
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

I was looking at these in Gander Mountain recently. They seem nicely constructed. The material seems like it would work well with sweat, but the areas where the gun goes are around your armpit and would make those hot spots hotter...my guess is that you'd sweat much more than normal in those areas. I'm in Florida so I don't want to sweat more and everyone hugs you, not a good place for either of those things imo. But it does seem nicely made and I did want one. It just wouldn't work for me.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00   #7
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Mine is several years old, but here is my experience after having worn it a couple dozen times:

1. If fits SNUG. I would buy at least 1 size larger than your normal undershirt.
2. It will wick sweat, but seems to be pretty warm to me.
3. I've carried all the way to a G19 and spare mag in mine under a dress shirt with no problems.
4. It will allow some movement of the gun, so orientation will not always be the same.
5. This is not the rig if you think someone may hug you. If you can prevent, make sure your carry arm stays pinned, and under theirs or they will bump the gun.

This is not quick access at all, but it is deep concealment. My recommendation would be to wear a tie and have a couple of the buttons under the tie undone for quicker access. I've also heard of folks that use it sewing the buttons permanently on the "eye" and then backing with velcro for quicker access.

The shirts are hot, which is why I don't wear them often.

Hope this helps!
I'll second that. Especially the snug fitting part and the HOT part. Definitely not the shirt to wear when it's hot out or you're doing even light exercise. Mines also several years old, so maybe they've changed it.

But I'm not 'sculpted' ( 5' 8 1/2" 165 pounds) and even ordered one size too large, it's very tight on me. Also you have to keep the pistol well lubed, because the pistol gets a lot of sweat on it if you're sweating at all.

But it's great for cold weather or inside sitting in air conditioning all day. I really like it. I try to buy shirts with snaps, or leave the second button down unbuttoned. Conceals very well with Micro Kahrs. Very comfortable for long distance driving.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:10   #8
SGUSA

Thanks for the great feedback.

Since I live in Michigan this shirt should be ideal for winter, since several members have mentioned it's very warm. If I end up ordering a new one, I'll post some feedback to compare the older version to the new.
SGUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51   #9
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

I have had five of them for a few years now, and I wear them often. I have carried a 1911 government model in them, just for testing. I don't recommend that. They work fine with my 3" barreled S&W Model 65, though it's a tad heavy if you bend over a lot. The 347 J-frame is a perfect fit, and moves around very little without a holster. It doesn't move at all when I have it in the DeSantis Nemesis holster.

I also use it to carry my wallet, on the left side, when I wear jeans and a shirt without pockets.

They hold up well, and are plenty comfortable. I live and work in extreme environments, extreme heat, to extreme cold. It's really not all that bad in the heat. Just wear light colors on the outside in the summer months.

I really like these shirts. When 5.11 puts something on the market, it goes on clearance quickly if it's not well received by the public. These have remained on the market at full retail for a few years now. That tells you something about them.
Outpost Mod #69
Chad Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14   #10
Chili69
Retired Navy AO

I really like the 5.11 holster shirt, but order a size bigger than you think you need. They shouldn't be too big as they need to support your weapon and mags or whatever else you have in the pockets, but too snug can be quite uncomfortable after a few hours wear.

I carry my S&W 638 J-frame .38 snubby and it works great. There's almost too much room in the pockets for it.
Chili69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05   #11
Henry Kane
Reverend

Have used one on and off over a four-year period, and like many have already said, they're durable. I bought mine at the size I regularly wear, and it basically found its fit in a short time. I had the benefit of trying one on before buying.

Another point I agree with is it's much better in cool or cold weather. I never used it with button down shirts. Usually with only a hooded sweat shirt, un-tucked t shirt, or both over it. I (just my personal opinion...others will vary) felt as though any more layers or restriction would make access too difficult.

Like CJ said, it's better for something on the compact side.

It took some practice, but I was able to get pretty quick purchase using my weak hand to lift the shirt(s) and strong hand to reach in and grab the weapon. I'm sure that this would be the case with a button down as well; it's more personal preference and perception, I'm sure.

In short, recommended for sure.
Henry Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:12   #12
Chicken-Farmer

I own three of the white crew neck holster shirts. I wear them all the time with either a fleece or dress shirt over top. I carry a G26 on the left side and a spare G17 magazine on the right side. I use Desantis Nemesis pocket holsters with a rubber outside coating to keep the pistol and magazine where i placed them inside the shirt.
5.11 makes very good stuff and stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty.
Chicken-Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11   #13
TurboRocket

Mine is a bit itchy, but other than than, I agree with the other positive comments above. I seldom wear them, though. It really is just a deep concealment option for when attire is a bit dressier.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concealed carry, review, shirts