Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2010, 16:58   #1
B_RAD

Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm (used)

Local shop has one for $786. Would you go for it or save a $100 + or - and buy a STI Spartan? I want to get a Trojan but I'm not wanting to spend a 1K right now. So which would you buy?
Old 09-25-2010, 17:06   #2
No Frills McGee
He bites

Do you really want " trojan " written on the slide of your pistol?

No, i wouldn't buy a kimber, i'd save for however long it takes and get a baer,wilson,brown,... not to say you wouldn't be happy with the kimber, but you asked.

Last edited by No Frills McGee; 09-25-2010 at 17:08..
No Frills McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 17:10   #3
B_RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Frills McGee View Post
Not really. Maybe if said MAGNUM?
Old 09-25-2010, 17:21   #4
thecableguy

before I really started to research 1911s I wanted a kimber bad but after reading mixed reviews I would no longer take a chance on owning one. Some report that they have never had a problem out of one and some say that it has never ran right. I don't want to take a chance, but thats just me.
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 17:55   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_RAD View Post
Not really. Maybe if said MAGNUM?
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 17:56   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Sure, why not?

1911 Forums
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 20:14   #7
five-0

I had one, used MetalForm .38Super mags and an AFTEC extractor, and it ran like a top.
Sorry I sold it.
five-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 20:27   #8
B_RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-0 View Post
I had one, used MetalForm .38Super mags and an AFTEC extractor, and it ran like a top.
Sorry I sold it.
This one had Metalform mags that looked like .38 super mags with a spacer behind the follower. I don't know if that's normal since I've never owned a 9mm 1911. I do have a Colt .38 super unfired but I never plan on shooting it so not really familar with them either.
Old 09-25-2010, 20:28   #9
B_RAD

bac1023,

In your opinion what's the best entry level 1911under $700? Spartan?
Old 09-25-2010, 21:19   #10
HAIL CAESAR

I know were one is for 725'ish that looks like new and runs like a champ....

It used to be mine.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23   #11
mr_fender

Reconsider for defensive purposes

I have a Kimber Stainless II in 9mm and I would urge you to reconsider a 1911 in 9mm for defensive purposes. Many 9mm 1911's use a .38 super breech face (including kimber) and as a result, the 9mm rim does not sit inline with the chamber when it is pushed up against the side of the breech by the extractor since it is smaller in diameter. In order to maintain tension on the case rim, the extractor pad is often filed down to almost nothing. The result is an extractor that is bent way over and no longer meets the case rim at 90 degrees as it was designed. Maintaining tension is frustrating at best in most cases. Also, many 9mm 1911 magazines are notorious for feeding issues as well. The tapered 9mm round just doesn't work as well with the 1911 magazine design.

The 1911 platform was designed around the .45 ACP round and it works very well with that round. A 9mm 1911 is quite a compromise in fit and while some may run very well, many (including mine) have reliability issues. Mine is fine 90% of the time, but that's not enough for me to trust my life to it. The other 10% comes in the form of FTE's and FTF's with a wide range of ammo brands, sizes, and shapes.

That said, it is a beautiful pistol and a joy to shoot on the range. Mine is very accurate and recoil is so easily controlled due to the weight. Other peoples' experiences with 9mm 1911s may vary, but I personally would not trust one for self defence. Good luck.
mr_fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47   #12
cyberiad

I don't believe Kimber has built 9mm 1911s with a 40 S&W or 38 super breech face in some time (more than a couple of years if the information I read elsewhere is correct; a quick call to Kimber should sort that out) so that's not a reason not to own one though if it's an older model that could be an issue.

I've had a Stainless II in 9mm for more than a couple of years and it has done well but hasn't been flawless. It began to fail to extract around the 400 round mark (I bought it new) but 'adjusting' the extractor fixed the issue. It happened again some time later and while I could have sent it to Kimber I simply replaced the extractor with one from EGW and I have not had a problem in a few thousand rounds since then.

Three other people I shoot with bought the same model at one time or another. One worked well for years with literally no changes until it too failed to extract (in a match, unfortunately). I believe an Aftec was installed. One other could apparently never be made to run and it was sold. The last one is relatively new and has not had enough rounds through it (in my opinion) to determine whether it's "good" or not.

Should mine have run forever out of the box with no changes, especially because I paid a lot of money for it? Sure, but it didn't. I fixed it and moved on. I would not carry it, however. It's a games gun only.

I think $780 is a bit high but it depends on the condition. If it has not been modified and has seen relatively few rounds it might be a good buy.

Last edited by cyberiad; 01-10-2011 at 12:51..
cyberiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 17:52   #13
Ken Rainey
1 WILD PIG

Well, I wonder what B_RAD decided??

Yep, my Kimber Stainless II 9mm has issues extracting also...it's when there is a blunt nosed bullet waiting next in line - such as the 147 FMJs usually have. All round nosed and hollowpoint, even 147 JHP, ammo will let the out going case get by...but not a blunt nosed round ... I tried 147s in WWB (worst), Rem (better) and Speer (best) but it definetly requires a more rounded nose profile to run as it should. It's a sweet shooter and while this ammo sensitivity is mildly aggravating, I'll probably still keep it - actually thinking about using it to compete with later this year...we'll see.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:14   #14
arkieron

I don' believe there is anything inherent about the 9mm that keeps it from running in a 1911. I have a Wilson barrelled Colt that runs like a top with relatively soft reloads all the way thru hot hollow points. I have developed accuracy problems in the barrel rather prematurely, but that is annother issue. I hope to remedy it with .357 diameter bullets. I loaded some 125 gr .357 FPs with an OAL of about 1.04 They shoot well, with no feeding issues, My normal 9mms are 1.12. That acceptance of a very short cartridge indicates reliability to me.

I do believe that Kimber extractors are poorly designed, MY tactical .45 is very accurate however. Tossing the Kimber mags and buying Chip McCormick 10rds. has sure helped reliabilty.
arkieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 14:22   #15
Ruggles

Quote:

No, i wouldn't buy a kimber, i'd save for however long it takes and get a baer,wilson,brown,... not to say you wouldn't be happy with the kimber, but you asked.
And on the 9th day God said "Thou shall not disrespect any 1911s made in the great state of Texas"

I mean the best handgun platform ever made produced in the greatest state ever, what could be wrong with that ?

Ruggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 17:33   #16
propellerhead205

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
... I simply replaced the extractor with one from EGW and I have not had a problem in a few thousand rounds since then.
More info please? I'm having extraction issues with mine.
propellerhead205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 17:52   #17
cyberiad

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead205 View Post
More info please? I'm having extraction issues with mine.
I bought this http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?...products_id=44 and installed it. No more extractor issues. EGW makes great parts and it was a "drop in", no fitting required.

I think I bought the Series 70 extractor because Kimbers aren't Series 80 but I bought it quite a while ago. Contact EGW with any questions.

The extractor is blued steel and the Kimber is stainless but I don't care about stuff like that. I also don't care that the rear of the extractor is not flush with the back of the slide. It works well and that's all that matters to me.
cyberiad is offline   Reply With Quote