SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2011, 22:46   #1
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
Long range test

I tried last weekend to do a test of my m4 out at distance. 16" barrell w/ no magnifier using a 557 eotech. 55 grain fmj silver bear. I had a caldwell rest. conditions were not optimal. 25-35mph gusts. I used an official nra match 100 yard target. i shot 3 round strings. started at 100 yds. about 2 inch high of bullseye. I think i shot 6 rounds at this yardage and was very consistent. then i moved to 206 yds. impacts were still 2 inch or so above bullseye, with one flyer to the left. the wind was out of the south blowing right to left of target. I then moved to 263 yds my impacts were more wide spread, not in the black circle but in the white, still on paper though. after shooting 3 shots out at 263 yds and hitting paper, i then switched ammo to a varmint round winchester supreme 55 grain ballistic tip. and did not hit the target at all.

I am looking for insight on what else i could do to get more hits in the 10 ring. Books, literature, etc.

thanks.
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:25   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

1. Get proper magnified optics for longer range shooting

2. Find ammunition that shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards (should consistently put 4 of 5, 5-shot groups into 1" or less). Then do not change ammunition.

3. Get a solid 100 yard zero

4. Use a ballistic program to determine where your POI will be at different distances, then dial those corrections (or use the reticle). Take notes when the predicted POI does not match the actual POI.

5. Somewhere between #2 and #5, figure out if your technique is good or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 17:26   #3
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
Thanks for your help.
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote