SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2011, 16:41   #1
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Is this ammo too hot for the G21?

Has anyone shot this ammo out of their G21? Assuming that you have only changed the spring and added a recoil buffer?

45 Super Ammo - 255 gr. Hard Cast FN (1,075fps/M.E. 654 ft.lbs.)

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=215
firemedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:07   #2
Makoman

I don't know if they're too hot but they appear to be cast lead bullets. Shooting Cast lead bullets in a Glock is a no,no. Can cause a catastrophic falilure that can cause major injuries. Unless of course you've got an aftermarket barrel like a lone wolff.
Walther Forum Member #55

Last edited by Makoman; 03-01-2011 at 17:27..
Makoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:59   #3
Cycletroll

I've shot 260gr jacketed bullets (handloaded .45 Super) out of my G21 with a 22# recoil spring at similar velocities. Thats about the limit because of unsupported chamber bulges. I'm pretty sure the BB load will be lower pressure than my jacketed load so it should be fine.
Fire one round without the magazine in and look at the brass. If it's not badly creased and only shows a normal looking bulge you're good to go.
Cycletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 22:39   #4
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletroll View Post
I've shot 260gr jacketed bullets (handloaded .45 Super) out of my G21 with a 22# recoil spring at similar velocities. Thats about the limit because of unsupported chamber bulges. I'm pretty sure the BB load will be lower pressure than my jacketed load so it should be fine.
Fire one round without the magazine in and look at the brass. If it's not badly creased and only shows a normal looking bulge you're good to go.
Good suggestion, hopefully it's just smiling at me
Old 03-02-2011, 14:49   #5
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoman View Post
I don't know if they're too hot but they appear to be cast lead bullets. Shooting Cast lead bullets in a Glock is a no,no. Can cause a catastrophic falilure that can cause major injuries. Unless of course you've got an aftermarket barrel like a lone wolff.
HARD CAST BULLETS IN POLYGONAL BARRELS

True hard cast bullets (as opposed to lead swaged bullets) that are properly lubed will not lead foul polygonal barrels any more than any other type of rifled barrel. Ever since Glock Corporation warned to not use lead bullets in their pistols with polygonal barrels, a myth that hard cast bullets will lead foul polygonal barrels has become wide spread in some parts of the firearms world. However, the myth is untrue. Hard cast bullets are not "lead" bullets. (See my article on "Dangerous Pure Lead Cowboy Bullets")

Pure lead or nearly pure lead bullets have a tendency to foul any barrel, not just polygonal barrels. Years ago, when several Glock pistols experienced cracked barrels because of fouling build up from shooting pure lead bullets, Glock issued a warning not to shoot lead bullets in their polygonal barrels. From that warning, the myth that you should not shoot hard cast bullets in polygonal barrels was born.

Provided you use real hard cast bullets with good lube, you can shoot them all you like in polygonal barrels without causing lead fouling deposits at the front of your chamber or anywhere else in the barrel. If you are concerned about lead fouling from hard cast bullets, all you have to do is to clean your barrel after firing hard cast bullets and before firing any jacketed bullets. However, in my experience, quality hard cast bullets won't foul a Glock polygonal barrel or any other type of barrel but lead bullets normally will.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=59
Old 10-13-2011, 22:14   #6
AJSully421
Armed Citizen

I have shot .45 super through a G21 before. All I did was put in a stiffer spring. Recoil was stout and it was certainly battering the frame more than standard .45 ACP, but that is not too much of a concern with as few rounds as you will be running.

I would not feed my G21 a steady diet of it, but a few mag fulls to test the load out will not hurt your pistol. Use a wire brush after and you will be fine.

ETA: The above is absolutely correct about lead v. hard cast. Gas checked rounds are even better but unnecessary if you are going to only run this type of ammo for carry in the woods.

Last edited by AJSully421; 10-13-2011 at 22:26..
AJSully421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 19:19   #7
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I will be shooting this fairly soon. I'll give my humble report on what I think.
Buffalo Bore 45S 185gn GDHP @ 1300fps I'm assuming from a 4.5" barrel, the website doesn't say.
The 21 Club

I will be shooting it from this:
The 21 Club
LWD 45LTH, Wolff 22#, Wilson recoil buffer and, hopefully, LWD 45comp.
G2930SF, G38 w/lasermax The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #7663, US Army Veteran

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 02-26-2012 at 19:29..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 23:19   #8
vtbluegrass

If you start shooting lead I would recommend some chore boy copper cleaning pads. A bit wrapped around your cleaning brush removes any lead fouling quickier than just the brush alone. Depending on the load you may have none or just some mild streaking.
vtbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
45 super, g21, hard cast, hot, safe