SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2011, 22:46   #1
denn1911

RMR vs. DeltaPoint

Hi Group,

I did a search but didn't find much. I am interested in making a dedicated Steel Match Glock 35. I'd like to have the slide milled to accept either an RMR or a DeltaPoint. I like the large window of the DeltaPoint. I like the ruggedness of the RMR, and the duel-illumination seems nice also. I assume that a larger MOA (6-8?) would be best for quick target acquisition.

I appreciate any feedback on either of these. Thanks.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 00:24   #2
GRT45
Transform & Win

If you're not familiar with the Warrior Talk Forums, there is a forum just for Red Dot Sighted Pistols. In that forum, there is a thread titled: Side-by-side photo of DeltaPoint and RMR sight picture. There you will see photos of the sight pictures of the 8 MOA RMR and 7.5 MOA DeltaPoint that may interest you. You must register at WarriorTalk.com to view the photos in posts. Be sure to scroll down to see the third set of pictures in that thread. Update: A recently added thread in the forum has a collection of photos of a DeltaPoint and other brands of RDS optics on a milled slide with suppressor BUIS: For Those Using Other-Than RMR Sights

The Warrior Talk forums are sponsored by Suarez International USA, Inc., a well known training organization in the world. One Source Tactical (OST) is a subsidiary of Suarez International. Incidentally, when you see TSD mentioned on the WT forums, it refers to the Technical Services Division of OST.

OST now has an entire web site devoted to the use and options for red dot sights on pistols and the various RDS optics and pistols OST can modify for clients: RedDotPistols.com

OST/TSD chose the Trijicon RMR 8 MOA for an Advanced Combat Glock configuration (see picture below). The folks at OST lean heavily in favor of the rugged RMR LED (not the dual-illuminated model) on a milled slide. The reticle of a dual-illuminated RMR can wash out in certain bright lighting conditions, whereas the LED model maintains adequate contrast. The Leupold DeltaPoint is their second choice, but only if the shooter's budget can't accommodate the RMR.

The latest RMR they are evaluating and commenting about is the RM07 6.5 MOA Adjustable RMR LED introduced at 2011 SHOT. Besides the new ability to manually adjust the brightness of the reticle for different lighting conditions (including night vision), the RM07 appears to have a much improved anti-glare treatment.

Personally, I won't go with anything smaller than a 6.5 MOA reticle on a pistol for self-defense purposes. A reticle size of 6.5-8.0 MOA is best for pistol and shotgun. Several of us wish that Trijicon had left the new adjustable RM07 at 8 MOA, but a 6.5 MOA reticle might be perfect for a Steel Match pistol.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Read a review of the OST/TSD Advanced Combat Glock in the March, 2011 issue of Small Arms Review (Vol. 14, No. 6).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 03-20-2011 at 18:35..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35   #3
bentbiker
NRA Member

I have the RMR 8 MOA LED unit (RM02) and I had the milling done by OST. They do a fantastic job. I went with the BUIS and the rear in the original dovetail slot. With the lifetime warranty of Trijicon, I would only go with Deltapoint if I were going the route of using a dovetail mount -- Deltapoint's adapter is better. The adjustments are much nicer with the RMR as well. The dual-illumination (duel-illumination is something different) is only available in amber and it tends to wash out in bright sunlight. I think you will also find that a bigger lens just tends to block the target more and make it difficult for the mind to blend to images from both eyes. I will be ordering a second RMR and will be happy with the new 6.5 MOA; I think the 6.5 will be perfect. Any specific questions . . . ask.

Last edited by bentbiker; 01-31-2011 at 01:38..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30   #4
denn1911

Thanks for the feedback and great info. I'll check out W. Talk. Research so far has me leaning toward the RMR, especially after reading the above posts.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:05   #5
denn1911

Update after a ton of research: I bought a DeltaPoint with 7.5 MOA for a match pistol. Now I am stuck on whether to dedicate a G34 or a G35 for it...haha, oh it never ends. I may explore the RMR for a future defensive carry pistol.