Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:00   #1
Gpruitt54

AR Stoner barrel w/o chrome lining

I built a budget AR15 over the winter months. Like a true Noob, I ran out (before the build was completed) and bought some .220 ammo. The ammo was steel cased chep-o stuff.

The barrel (AR Stoner from Midway USA) is a chrome moly barrel but not chrome lined. Question, can I shoot steel cased ammo through this barrel? Some have said that the steel cases will stick in the barrel chamber. Is this likely and why? Is there a way to effectively use steel cased ammo in a AR15 rifle w/o a chrome lining?

I will be reloading rounds for this rifle using brass cases. But, can I use cheap steel cased ammo in this rifle with an expectation that it will function normally?
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21   #2
tall terry

It's a non issue, the chrome lining has nothing to do with that.Non lined barrels are generally more accurate than lined ones.
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Oh noes, your barrel is not mil-spec!!!! She dun gonna blown up on ya!!!

Just kidding, don't sweat it.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:40   #4
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Oh noes, your barrel is not mil-spec!!!! She dun gonna blown up on ya!!!

Just kidding, don't sweat it.
So, Mil-spec barrels with chrome linings do not use Chrome moly in the metal alloy?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42   #5
Gpruitt54

So, what about using steel cased ammo with a non chrome lined barrel? Are there issues there?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:55   #6
Batesmotel

IIRC Chrome lining is for corrosion prevention. Basically a hold over from when corrosive primers were the norm for military ammo.

I could be dead wrong.

Our M16s had chrome lined barrels. Never heard why other than that is the way DOD ordered them.
Old 05-16-2014, 14:05   #7
tall terry

Barrels are either made from chrome moly steel or stainless generally
The steel cased ammo issue has been covered hundreds of time here maybe do a search for days of reading material. Again it is a non issue don't worry go shooting burn up all that steel case ammo then tell us what did not happen
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 14:31   #8
Atomic Punk

i remember hearing issues about lacquer coated steel ammo. with enough heat the lacquer would start to transfer to the chamber and eventually glue a case in.
like most things on the net " just something i heard" YRMV.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 14:32   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
So, Mil-spec barrels with chrome linings do not use Chrome moly in the metal alloy?
Yes they do. You can put chrome lining to any carbon steel.
Old 05-16-2014, 14:36   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Some rifles don't function well with steel case ammo but that's because 5.56mm steel case ammo tend to be loaded fairly light with the powder charge. It had nothing to do with the cartridge having a steel case or steel jacketed bullet.

Why the commies ammo loaded with a low powder charge? Probably the ChiCom and Soviet ways of subverting American militia when it's time for Red Dawn.
Old 05-16-2014, 17:48   #11
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

When you shoot steel case ammo, the steel case doesn't expand enough to seal the chamber and the byproducts of combustion foul the walls of the chamber and that build up over time will start to restrict extraction of brass cased ammo. (Which does fully expand in the chamber when fired.) If you intend to shoot brass cased ammo as well as steel, then just clean the chamber with a chamber brush before shooting brass cased ammo.

As far as chrome lining goes, it will just be harder to get squeaky clean and you should keep the bore oiled during storage. I used to shoot tons of corrosive Yugo Surplus from a Del-Ton non-chrome lined AR barrel and had no corrosion issues, but I did clean it after every range trip and ran an oily patch through the bore before I packed it away in the safe.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:27   #12
cciman

At this point, your options are:

-Return/exchange, or sell yours, buy another to recoup some money

-Depending on where you live, you can take it to a steel company and have them gas Nitride the barrel (like Glock does to their guns). This won't affect the bore dimensions and makes the steel surface better than the chrome lining does. It will last 3-10 times longer than your current barrel.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
Read this article on Brass vs. Steel, there is a definitive effect that steel case ammo has on the barrel - much worse if you do not have a chrome lined barrel.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman;21239861[url
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/[/url]
Read this article on Brass vs. Steel, there is a definitive effect that steel case ammo has on the barrel - much worse if you do not have a chrome lined barrel.
Thanks for the article, it was a really interesting read. I have never shot any of the "steel" ammo, so I had no idea the projectile itself was a steel/copper hybrid, and actually wore the barrel more. I thought it was only the case that was steel, and that the bullet was still copper jacketed.

It was also very interesting to read that the Spike's Tactical CHF barrel, with the double thickness chrome lining, didn't fare any better with wear, and was shot out at the 6K round mark.

Again, thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-17-2014 at 09:44..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:43   #14
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post

-Depending on where you live, you can take it to a steel company and have them gas Nitride the barrel (like Glock does to their guns). This won't affect the bore dimensions and makes the steel surface better than the chrome lining does. It will last 3-10 times longer than your current barrel.

Their testing was also done over a VERY short amount of time. The compacted firing schedule would result in significantly more barrel heat, which would result in greatly accelerated wear.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:10   #15
kb18no1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Punk View Post
i remember hearing issues about lacquer coated steel ammo. with enough heat the lacquer would start to transfer to the chamber and eventually glue a case in.
like most things on the net " just something i heard" YRMV.
I believe this is a myth.
kb18no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:42   #16
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post

With the cost saving on cheap steel ammo you can easily buy two spare barrels.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-17-2014, 11:48   #17
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
It's a non issue, the chrome lining has nothing to do with that.Non lined barrels are generally more accurate than lined ones.

Most firearms dont have chrome lining at all.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:05   #18
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb18no1 View Post
I believe this is a myth.
good to know.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:24   #19
cciman

Yes, but it is better to have in an AR, than not. I would not buy or build an AR myself without chrome lining, or nitride barrel.

If you want a precision target AR, and don't mind replacing barrels, that is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

Most firearms dont have chrome lining at all.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:31   #20
cciman

No one can answer your question on steel case with your barrel, until you try it.

Depending on the barrel bore dimensions, it may or may not work.

Only a few of my AR's tolerate steel case ammo, the rest suffer stuck casings, every few rounds so I gave up. You may be lucky to be able to use it or not. You can resell the steel case ammo easily (I did). Since you obviously built your rifle, barrel wear and replacements is not an issue for you.