[]; (function() { var gads = document.createElement('script'); gads.async = true; gads.type = 'text/javascript'; var useSSL = 'https:' == document.location.protocol; gads.src = (useSSL ? 'https:' : 'http:') + '//www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js'; var node = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; node.parentNode.insertBefore(gads, node); })(); Thoughts on the M&P 15 Sport - Glock Talk
Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2015, 14:18   #1
Jakestir

Thoughts on the M&P 15 Sport

Thinking of making this my first AR. I'm mostly looking for a range/ home defense gun. Frankly if it goes bang when I pull the trigger I'm happy. Not looking for anything over the top. Locally I can find them for a hair over $700 including tax. I know they are going for the low to mid $600 ranges online.

I have been doing a fair amount of reading online about them and the vast majority of reviews look to be very positive. My only concern was lack of a dust cover and forward assist but from what I have read that has not been an issue.

What have your guys experience been like with this rifle?

Last edited by Jakestir; 01-22-2015 at 14:22..
Jakestir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 14:59   #2
The Fist Of Goodness

I love my sport. I have a M&P 15T for work, and bought the Sport after going through the S&W armorer course.

When we train on our rifles, I bring the Sport, and run it through the same drills as the *15T (using a cheap TruGlo red dot instead of the Aimpoint), and have had no issues (I actually like shooting it better than the T because it is lighter, without all the accessories).

You may hear some negatives due to the lack of forward assist and dust cover (a deal breaker for some) but it hasn't been an issue for me, and shouldn't be for what you are planning to use it for.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 01-22-2015, 15:18   #3
Boot Stomper

If it makes you feel better the indentation on the bolt carrier can function as a forward assist. Buy it. I think you will be happy.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 01-22-2015 at 15:19..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 15:34   #4
FourthPointOfContact

Buy it and don't worry about the little things.
Both the ejection port cover and the forward assist were there to remedy problems with the original AR design. The forward assist for when dirty brass just had to go into a dirty chamber and the port cover was there because the original AR had a bright, shiny industrial chrome bolt (and we all know what shiny things attract during firefights.)
Old 01-22-2015, 16:05   #5
Jakestir

Thanks for the responses fellas. Looks like I'm going to have to make some room in the safe.
Old 01-22-2015, 16:11   #6
Steve in PA

I picked up the S&W Sport last year as a spare AR to my Bushmaster. My BM has been flawless, and I love it. But, I wanted a spare in case I go to a training class and my main AR goes down, or I bring someone with me when I go shooting, etc.

I've put about 500 rounds through the Sport; a mix of handloads, factory and Wolf steel. No issues. My plan is to keep the Sport a pretty plain Jane rifle, with the exception of adding some type of light source. I did through on the removable carry handle from my BM.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 19:18   #7
Vigilant

I don't own a Sport, but I will offer a thought. If you wait for a sale at Palmetto State Armory, you can get what is in my opinion a far better rifle with a mid length gas system vs. carbine length on the Sport, a cold hammer forged chrome-lined barrel and chamber made by FN from machine gun steel, an M16 full auto bolt carrier group, etc for right at the same price as the Sport.
Old 01-22-2015, 19:38   #8
Jakestir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
I don't own a Sport, but I will offer a thought. If you wait for a sale at Palmetto State Armory, you can get what is in my opinion a far better rifle with a mid length gas system vs. carbine length on the Sport, a cold hammer forged chrome-lined barrel and chamber made by FN from machine gun steel, an M16 full auto bolt carrier group, etc for right at the same price as the Sport.

Interesting I'll have to take a look at that as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 20:30   #9
TX OMFS
Lifetime Membership
Right wing nut

http://www.bigdaddygun.com/products/...0rd-black.html

$599.99
Old 01-22-2015, 21:27   #10
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
Interesting I'll have to take a look at that as well.
You want the CHF mid length upper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...upperpper.html

If you wait patiently, you can get a nice complete PSA lower with Magpul furniture for about $169.

Just be patient. You'll be all set.
Old 01-22-2015, 21:59   #11
Gdirty5

I feel it's a no frills AR-15 that just flat out works, and priced appropriately, and also backed by a manufacturers warranty, which a "budget" build will not have.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09   #12
gadgetnut259

I just got my M&P Sport on Wednesday (my first AR also). I ordered it from grabagun.com for $599, no sales tax, and only $5 shipping! I ordered it on Friday and they shipped it out the very same day. It arrived at my LGS on Wednesday, and Monday was even a holiday. So it was $604 shipped and my LGS charges a flat $30 to do the transfer.
I haven't shot it yet, but it certainly looks and feels impressive. No rattle or play between upper and lower, and the takedown pins push without tools. I have 500 rounds of Wolf Gold just waiting to go!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57   #13
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
I just got my M&P Sport on Wednesday (my first AR also). I ordered it from grabagun.com for $599, no sales tax, and only $5 shipping! I ordered it on Friday and they shipped it out the very same day. It arrived at my LGS on Wednesday, and Monday was even a holiday. So it was $604 shipped and my LGS charges a flat $30 to do the transfer.
I haven't shot it yet, but it certainly looks and feels impressive. No rattle or play between upper and lower, and the takedown pins push without tools. I have 500 rounds of Wolf Gold just waiting to go!
The rattle will come with use. I like the M&P Sport. It comes without useless features like dust cover that doesn't keep out dust and THAT infernal device which gives inexperienced shooters the ability to cramp a bad round into the chamber.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-23-2015 at 12:46..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:08   #14
gadgetnut259

The only thing I don't love about it is the hand grip (the vertical one at the trigger). For the past 3 years, I have spent a great deal of time shooting my Walther PPQ, which has some of the best ergonomics on any gun anywhere. To go from that to an AR grip feels like I'm holding a chunk of wood. Are there better replacements available?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
To go from that to an AR grip feels like I'm holding a chunk of wood. Are there better replacements available?
You're talking about the most accessorized gun in the world. Of course there are replacements available. Do you have all next week to source through all the available grips?

MagPul, Troy, Tango Down, Ergo, Mission First, Hogue. I'm probably missing at least ten more manufacturers.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:57   #16
G23c

Great rifle, especially for the range. have fun.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 13:02   #17
gadgetnut259

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You're talking about the most accessorized gun in the world. Of course there are replacements available. Do you have all next week to source through all the available grips?

MagPul, Troy, Tango Down, Ergo, Mission First, Hogue. I'm probably missing at least ten more manufacturers.
Nice. I figured as much, but I haven't looked around yet. Any recommendations? Any that seem to fit better than others?
Old 01-23-2015, 19:42   #18
Scrappy

Quote:
I love grabagun! They have been getting a lot of my money the past 2 years! Almost the only place I buy from now.
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 19:50   #19
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The rattle will come with use. I like the M&P Sport. It comes without useless features like dust cover that doesn't keep out dust and THAT infernal device which gives inexperienced shooters the ability to cramp a bad round into the chamber.

OK, maybe not so funny. I figure that's for a do or die situation when your down to the last round in your last mag.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 20:28   #20
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post

OK, maybe not so funny. I figure that's for a do or die situation when your down to the last round in your last mag.
I was waiting for someone to follow up on that, but I'm not always very patient

I am still new to AR rifles, but I'm gonna say that with Direct Impingement AR's the chamber can and does become fouled after a few hundred rounds, that's why there is a forward assist. If one round fails to chamber, and that round is ejected manually, and then the second round fails to chamber...... whatcha gonna do?
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote