[]; (function() { var gads = document.createElement('script'); gads.async = true; gads.type = 'text/javascript'; var useSSL = 'https:' == document.location.protocol; gads.src = (useSSL ? 'https:' : 'http:') + '//www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js'; var node = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; node.parentNode.insertBefore(gads, node); })(); Help with new AR - Glock Talk
Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48   #1
1canvas

Help with new AR

I am thinking of selling my old AR and buying a shorter model that would be easier to handle in the tight quarters I live in and for my wife to handle if needed.
I know I want to mount a dot scope to it. I am comfortable with Colt and S&W companies but not sure about other companies. The price range would be around people 1000.00.
I am trying to get a little info on what to look for or what to watch out for before I lay down the cash. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:02   #2
K. Foster

I’m assuming you have a 20" barrel?
Lots of good options out there. You could buy a 16" barreled upper and keep your lower. Check out BCM and PSA to start with. If you want to sell your gun and start fresh, you could go to Walmart and buy a Colt 6920.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13   #3
1canvas

Yes it's a 20" barrel. I thought about the upper switch but I probably would never use the 20" upper. Is the Colt model one of those skinny pencil barrels?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:22   #4
SpringerTGO

On your budget you can buy any number of good AR's. I've been very happy with LMT.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:29   #5
gadgetnut259

You could buy a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport (it's M4 Carbine length), a decent red dot optic, and a case of ammo...all for the same $1,000 investment. Just food for thought.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:39   #6
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
Yes it's a 20" barrel. I thought about the upper switch but I probably would never use the 20" upper. Is the Colt model one of those skinny pencil barrels?
No, the 6920 does not have a “pencil” barrel.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40   #7
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
On your budget you can buy any number of good AR's. I've been very happy with LMT.
I have also been very happy with LMT.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:45   #8
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
I’m assuming you have a 20" barrel?
Lots of good options out there. You could buy a 16" barreled upper and keep your lower. Check out BCM and PSA to start with. If you want to sell your gun and start fresh, you could go to Walmart and buy a Colt 6920.
I looked online at the Colt6920 MP and that seems to be what I'm looking for. I know there are other good ARs but I have a Colt and I have been really happy with it. I just need to get to a shop and put one in my hands to see how it feels.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:55   #9
SpringerTGO

Quote:
I looked online at the Colt6920 MP and that seems to be what I'm looking for. I know there are other good ARs but I have a Colt and I have been really happy with it. I just need to get to a shop and put one in my hands to see how it feels.
Didn't YOU start this thread asking about other companies besides Colt?
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52   #10
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
Didn't YOU start this thread asking about other companies besides Colt?
Yes I did, but until I see the Colt I am still open to others. My second choice would probably be is a S&W. My point in opening the thread was to get some input on conciderations that I may not have concidered. As I said, I wanted to know what I might look for or watch out for. One thing would be a model or brand I would concider but if I kick in a few dollars more I can get something better. More bang for the buck.

Last edited by 1canvas; 01-27-2015 at 10:56..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:23   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Yes I did, but until I see the Colt I am still open to others. My second choice would probably be is a S&W. My point in opening the thread was to get some input on conciderations that I may not have concidered. As I said, I wanted to know what I might look for or watch out for. One thing would be a model or brand I would concider but if I kick in a few dollars more I can get something better. More bang for the buck.
Let's skip the second rate outfits like Colt and SW and just go straight to the real deal: FN.

You can get the basic carbine or you can get the more "modernized" versions. Anyway, with AR prices dropping faster than crude oil prices, this is the time to buy.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/carbines/fn-15-series/
Old 01-27-2015, 11:38   #12
SmithietheFox

I paid a tad north of your $1k budget (was like $1225 IiRC) and bought a Daniel Defense M4V1 and absolutely love it. I'd highly recommend it if you don't mind spending a tad extra.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 13:26   #13
TK-421

Since you've already got an AR, I'd suggest buying a new upper, instead of a whole new AR, and selling your old upper.

Have you considered getting a tax stamp and going with an SBR?
- Unknown
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 14:19   #14
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Since you've already got an AR, I'd suggest buying a new upper, instead of a whole new AR, and selling your old upper.

Have you considered getting a tax stamp and going with an SBR?
I don't really need a barrel shorter than 16", the round gets its effectiveness from velocity.
It's easier financially to sell the one I have and just buy a new one.
Old 01-27-2015, 15:57   #15
PaLEOjd

Quote:

The Colt rifle lower would not really work out for what you are looking to do in tight quarters, even with the 6920 upper.
With the fixed stock as long as it is, it would make more sense for you to buy a complete carbine if you are worried about easy handling in tight spaces. Having an adjustable carbine stock makes a huge difference.

If you want nothing but a Colt, the 6920 will fit the bill. Going that route will not leave much money for a quality red dot, unless you are looking for a China knock off or other low quality brand. The Aimpoint PRO usually runs in the $400 range, not sure about their new "carbine optic", never used one but it's a few dollars cheaper with less features and a lesser mount.

$1,000 will definitely get you a quality carbine but that $1,000 budget for a quality carbine and quality red dot is not realistic going the Colt route.

There are other options. BCM makes a good carbine, along with Daniel Defense, and LMT but will cost a little more than a Colt. That FN15 mentioned in another post is not the same quality as their military contract carbines or SCAR so don't be fooled by the FN roll mark. You are better off with an M&P than that FN.
Old 01-27-2015, 19:57   #16
1canvas

As far as the dot goes I look at that as a separate costs. I have been running from gun shop to gun shop all day looking at ARs. That and doing as much research online as I can. It's just a matter of how much I want to spend. I am looking at Colt 6920 MP R or Daniel Defense M4V1. I haven't looked at BCM yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 20:37   #17
PaLEOjd

Sounds like your headed in the right direction. I just assumed the red dot was included in the price you mentioned.
BCM may be difficult to find at a gun shop. They are not easily found in my area at least.
Old 01-27-2015, 20:44   #18
dkf

Look at a BCM 16" or 14.5" w/pinned brake with lightweight profile. You can add a PSA complete lower or complete lower from somewhere else and you for the most part have a rifle. You can add some accessories you like this way without buying stuff you won't use.
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 21:18   #19
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no Evil

16" lightweight, midlength BCM upper is hard to beat.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:04   #20
M&P15T
Beard One

A BCM would also be my vote. I personally prefer a 14.5" with a pinned BCM Gunfighter comp, mid-length gas, rail system of your choice. I am not a fan of light-weight or thin barrels, and there's no reason at all to get a CHF barrel, unless money is of no concern.

I would suggest a higher budget. Get a good AR, and an Eotech or Aimpoint optic. Figure closer to 2k once you add in mags, sling, VFG/AFG, maybe a different stock, BUISs (not really necessary, really), and other sundry things.

$1500.00 should get you the basic BCM AR and a quality optic. Then you can get into the other stuff as money becomes available.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-28-2015 at 08:31..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote