GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 21:23   #1
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
My 22# Spring Burped...

Well, the 22# spring I bought burped.

I guess I'll get a 20 # spring if they have it...or keep the stock OEM.

I took a gruelling ski jaunt today. 3 feet of snow and I broke trail the whole way; 835 feet elevation change, too.

One shot the barrel did not seat in battery. Needed only a tap and it seated, but...

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Load is; 180 grain Hornady XTP over 13.2 gr AAC#9.

I'm thinking of getting a 20# or just sticking with the factory setup.

Last edited by 3/4Flap; 02-26-2011 at 07:57.. Reason: spelling and correct elevation. should read "835 feet"
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 21:49   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,373
That's wild...the slide not going back into battery could have be a result of the cold. Is that a stock barrel or an aftermarket? Do you have a 10mm cartridge gauge to check ammo fit? Case sizing is crucial, especially in aftermarket barrels...

I had a gruellin day as well, I don't have a picture to post but while out in my yard, I had a sweat going while wondering around in shorts and tee shirt! Then some gnats found me...I hate gnats! I pulled out my G-29 and unleashed the power of the mighty 10mm to put down those pesky gnats! BTW one required two shots to finish him off! Just messin' around, looks like you had a great hike!
Best regards!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 22:02   #3
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!
 
firemedic1343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
That's wild...the slide not going back into battery could have be a result of the cold. Is that a stock barrel or an aftermarket? Do you have a 10mm cartridge gauge to check ammo fit? Case sizing is crucial, especially in aftermarket barrels...

I had a gruellin day as well, I don't have a picture to post but while out in my yard, I had a sweat going while wondering around in shorts and tee shirt! Then some gnats found me...I hate gnats! I pulled out my G-29 and unleashed the power of the mighty 10mm to put down those pesky gnats! BTW one required two shots to finish him off! Just messin' around, looks like you had a great hike!
Best regards!
One shot stop on a gnat is a myth
firemedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 23:03   #4
oceanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 349
You post some GREAT photos....Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3/4Flap View Post
Well, the 22# spring I bought burped.

I guess I'll get a 20 # spring if they have it...or keep the stock OEM.

I took a gruelling ski hjaunt today. 3 feet of snow and I broke trail the whole way; 325 elevation, too.

One shot the barrel did not seat in battery. Needed only a tap and it seated, but...

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Load is; 180 grain Hornady XTP over 13.2 gr AAC#9.

I'm thinking of getting a 20# or just sticking with the factory setup.
I really like to see people OUTDOORS enjoying winter and shooting/hiking/hunting....Americana. Pure and simple.

Here in Kalifornistan we had 'Another Lousy Day In Paradise'.



My Accurate Smokeless Powder reloading manual says:
(From 1994)

180 Gr XTP
13.5 grains of Accurate #9
1242 FPS

and the pressure is a LOW 34,100...max SSAMI is 37,500 for this round.

OAL: 1.250

Zip..
PS..maybe on that one shot that didn't return to full forward your GLOVE might have slowed down the slide..?...It's happened to me before.
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 23:13   #5
crsuribe
10mm Auto
 
crsuribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 1,752
That's.. weird. If anything you would think the heavier spring would help the slide return to battery more consistently.

You had mentioned having problems with your KKM barrel before, could that have anything to do with the problem?

Don't know that switching to a lower tension spring would help. How many times did this happen?

Most people who use these springs report no problems whatsoever.
__________________
R.I.P William Michael Willard from Swamp Fox Gun Works
R.I.P Chris Kyle -
What a damn shame you're gone!!

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21   #6
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)
 
Kegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cold side of conus
Posts: 2,685
Only problem I've ever had with hand loads not chambering is taper crimp issues (the crimp wasn't adequate).
__________________
"What's the down side to 10mm again? Oh, that's right, there isn't one."" Carrier21
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32   #7
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
OEM spring is 100%.

No problems at all. None with that load.

Good observation, but no glove contact, tho I should add about a week ago I dropped a mag while shooting one-handed, left hand. My oversize epoxy-made mag release bumped my glove and dumped the mag. Now I reduced the size and all's well, there, too.

As for ammo fit, no. The cartridges chamber just fine. Each is dropped into the chamber to check, and a little slop is noted. No worries there, no tightness at all.

Just a recoil spring that is too much for the round in the cold.

As I think I've noted before, cold is an element that does interesting things to a gun. Frost is another, which is one of the reasons I do not like under-coat shoulder rigs. Perspiration builds up and then when the gun is taken out into 0* F it frosts immediately.

CR; a too-hard recoil spring will not allow full reciprocation and that leaves less slide return energy, and some of that can be lost on a full mag {stripping top or second round}. THAT is another reason to TEST the gun under all conditions; for example, if a guy only fills his mags to five rounds, shoots them all and considers them reliable, well, maybe guess again...

This is just one of those proving ground deals, and I'm not worried. I have the thing figured and nailed.

Yes, there are reasons for VERIFYING the reliability of all pistols before they are needed. It isn't just bunk, there are real reasons for shooting the gun to "prove" it.

For cold, my setup will be KKM+Stock OEM Spring, unless a slightly weaker Wolf model is reliable. Ad the 22#'er will be tested w/ 200 grain loads if I get around to them.

Rest of the story is here;

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc...242#8770025242

Last edited by 3/4Flap; 02-25-2011 at 08:37..
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52   #8
Burien
Senior Member
 
Burien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Same for the hot sun, when you have your ammo out in the sun for some time in a hot desert, you will feel that ammo increase in recoil and velocity.

AA#9 may not be burning all the way in that cold temp, even with Mag primers. Check your barrel after a shot or two, any unburnt in the chamber area?

I loaded some #9 and shot in the cold / rain, had powder left in chamber which did not let the round fully seat.

800x may help this out...

Last edited by Burien; 02-25-2011 at 09:56..
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39   #9
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burien View Post
AA#9 may not be burning all the way in that cold temp, even with Mag primers. Check your barrel after a shot or two, any unburnt in the chamber area?
Nice call Burien!

I did check just now {nope, didn't clean it yet} and yes, there are unburnt grains ahead of the chamber, not just carbon fouling. I've seen worse, but it's there, so you may be on to it.

THANKS!!

For now I'm stuck with the AA9 but will remember that. I'll stick with the OEM spring for reliability, but down the line that 800X might be the better winter powder.

Also, based on reading various loadbooks, I was using standard primers, not mags. So maybe that there might help alone.

Accuracy has been good, but not tested extensively yet.

I need more than 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week...
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,086
I have had great results with mag primers for A9. I would bet it cleans things up for you. What was the temp when you had the issue?
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 13:58   #11
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I have had great results with mag primers for A9. I would bet it cleans things up for you. What was the temp when you had the issue?
Thanks, I have some mags so I'll try them.

Temp was about 5*F.
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 14:03   #12
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,086
I've shot them in the cold, but not that cold. I'm really curious to see your results with mag primers at those temps.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 21:24   #13
Burien
Senior Member
 
Burien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Glad my 2 cents helped
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:12   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,357
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I had always used the stock 17lb spring in my G20. It always ran flawlessly. The one time I changed my recoil spring to a 20lb the gun burped ... but then again, that was probably due to the also-new aftermarket recoil rod. I think that, had it been a Wolff rod AND spring, all would have been well.

Still, the stock spring setup is very good
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:06   #15
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I had always used the stock 17lb spring in my G20. It always ran flawlessly. The one time I changed my recoil spring to a 20lb the gun burped ... but then again, that was probably due to the also-new aftermarket recoil rod. I think that, had it been a Wolff rod AND spring, all would have been well.

Still, the stock spring setup is very good
I, too had the Wolff rod installed. I do believe the whole setup is a generally good one {quality, etc of the Wolf parts} but no doubt there is, as with pretty much all working parts, a necessary breakin period, and with springs this is especially so, to allow for bearing surface burnishing, etc.

Having said that, the stock setup, tho it looks cheesy {what part of a Glock doesn't... } runs just fine.

As for barrels, tho the Glock OEM is known for great reliability, and is, of course, the KKM seems NOT to have anything like a too-tight chamber, with tolerances common to other OEM barrels from other makers, leading me to wonder about the necessity for oversize chambers in Glocks. Just a tho't...

Will try those mag primers...

{editting note, I editted my original post, it is 1100 feet to the summit {3700'+ elev} but my trek took me 835 feet above the start, not 325 as I typo'd in the original post. Yeah, I was tired...}
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12   #16
crsuribe
10mm Auto
 
crsuribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 1,752
I agree that the chamber for the OEM barrel doesn't need to be so oversized. It could be slightly less and still run very very reliably, quite possibly just as reliably. I like KKM for that reason, I think they hit that sweet spot. Others might be too tight to run flawlessly.
__________________
R.I.P William Michael Willard from Swamp Fox Gun Works
R.I.P Chris Kyle -
What a damn shame you're gone!!

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30   #17
3/4Flap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Nowhere near a McDonald's
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsuribe View Post
I like KKM for that reason, I think they hit that sweet spot. Others might be too tight to run flawlessly.
I agree.

I have no prior experience with the 10, but did a bunch of reading on the i-net {dangerous, I know...} and that turned up a number of reports of malfunctions attributed to overtight chambers in LW barrels. None I could find on KKM, so I just went with the KKM.

Keeping loads reasonable and leaning on the extra length of the 6" bbl for some added speed, I am banking on good case life of handloads.
3/4Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33   #18
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,357
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3/4Flap View Post
I, too had the Wolff rod installed. I do believe the whole setup is a generally good one {quality, etc of the Wolf parts} but no doubt there is, as with pretty much all working parts, a necessary breakin period, and with springs this is especially so, to allow for bearing surface burnishing, etc.

Having said that, the stock setup, tho it looks cheesy {what part of a Glock doesn't... } runs just fine.

As for barrels, tho the Glock OEM is known for great reliability, and is, of course, the KKM seems NOT to have anything like a too-tight chamber, with tolerances common to other OEM barrels from other makers, leading me to wonder about the necessity for oversize chambers in Glocks. Just a tho't...

Will try those mag primers...

{editting note, I editted my original post, it is 1100 feet to the summit {3700'+ elev} but my trek took me 835 feet above the start, not 325 as I typo'd in the original post. Yeah, I was tired...}
I think you might have misunderstood me. When I used an aftermarket recoil assembly, it was NOT a Wolff. In my post, I stated that, "...had it been a Wolff setup, it probably would have worked fine..."

I'm pretty sold on the stock Glock part, however.
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34   #19
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,357
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsuribe View Post
...I like KKM for that reason, I think they hit that sweet spot. Others might be too tight to run flawlessly.
I agree, as well. KKM has it right...
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:46   #20
deeHKman
"It Is Written"
 
deeHKman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,549
My LoneWolf barrel in my G20sf had been 100%. I plan to order some others from them soon. The internet can help alot or add more confusion to most anything you want to explore with it. OP very nice pics thanks for your time,d
__________________
Galatians 6:9 (KJV)9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.


deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 930
258 Members
672 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31